We stayed here for a personal trip and chose this hotel due to its location to some relatives. It is a decent hotel but needs some work to be up to the standards we expect, and pay for, from a city Marriott.
1. The best thing that this hotel has going for it is location. It is right next to the NOMA Metro station, which is only a few stops from Metro Center, giving guests access to the entire city very easily. With regards to the location though, don’t wander too far north of the hotel, my relatives said that it is a rough area there.
2. If you like modern chic then you will like the décor. I am generally ambivalent towards modern chic but this was done tastefully.
3. Once I found someone to help me (see Con #4) they were friendly and able to accommodate my last minute request for connecting rooms.
1. This does not matter to me, but to some it may. There is a trend in some hotels to position the king size bed facing the window, against the wall closest to the door. I don’t mind, but others may.
1. The price is acceptable for Washington DC, but based on the cons, it was too much. I need to preface this so my cons do not sound like a picky snob but a seasoned traveler who is willing to pay more for location and service but gets rather upset when not met.
2. The walls are too thin for a city center hotel, especially for a brand new building. We could hear people outside talking (we were on the third floor). This is unacceptable in any modern hotel, but especially in city center hotel.
3. The valet situation in front of the hotel is just sloppy. There is a small indent in the curb to pull the cars in for the valet. This is a growing area and I find it amazing that they did not have a covered circular driveway or a valet garage for the guest to pull into found in many city hotels.
4. This one really bugged me. We arrived around 6 pm on a Friday. I went to the front desk and no one was there. I was looking around, trying to find a bell or something. I looked over to the coffee shop / food area and there were a few employees watching TV and chatting. One looked over at me and came up and asked if I was checking in. I can understand a break in the middle of the day or middle of the night, but primetime on a Friday is just irresponsible.
5. Finally, the breakfast was just not good. There is a single line in front of a register with a small menu that everyone is crowding around. We ordered and then found a table to sit down. First morning the drinks came out and then way later the food came out. In my observation, the restaurant (café?) was under staffed. The employees were doing their best and running around like crazy but there were too many guests and not enough service personnel. The second morning was even worse. Our food came out 15-20 minutes after we ordered (eggs, waffles, and oatmeal should not take that long) and two of the entrees were completely forgotten about so those took 30 minutes from order.
Based on my experience I would not recommend this hotel until Marriott management gets some control over staff needs and training. The real problem though is that the walls are just too thin. I should not be able to hear a conversation people are having on the street while staying on the third floor of a brand new hotel. I have no idea how to fix that.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- New hotel located one metro rail stop from Union Station, the transportation hub of our nation's capital and home to Amtrak train. Within easy reach of US Capitol, National Mall and The Whitehouse, use this hotel as your launch pad and enjoy the sights and sounds of Washington. Hotel amenities include The Bistro, free wi-fi, pool, GoBoard, and 24 hour business and print center. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Priceline, Expedia, TripOnline SA, Hotwire, Hotels.com, getaroom.com, Travelocity, Cancelon and Odigeo so you can book your Courtyard Washington, DC/U.S. Capitol reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Courtyard Washington, Dc / u.s. Capitol Hotel Washington Dc
- Courtyard Hotel Washington Dc