“Enjoyed the stay. Location is pretty good, will be better”

Courtyard Washington, DC/U.S. Capitol
Ranked #106 of 140 Hotels in Washington DC
Melbourne, Australia
“Enjoyed the stay. Location is pretty good, will be better”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 29, 2013

The location of this hotel is in an area That was not so good. There is now so much construction it will be a place of the future.

The hotel was great, staff awesome and rooms clean and comfortable.

Will stay there again as only two minutes to train and three stops to downtown.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
BWI-CYTD, General Manager at Courtyard Washington, DC/U.S. Capitol, responded to this review, April 9, 2013
Thank you for the great review! The NoMa neighborhood continues to develop and we are very excited for the future. I have shared the wonderful note with the team. We look forward to welcoming you back! – Chris Zanzano, General Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (114)
Brasilia, DF
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 24, 2013

When we arrived in the Courtyard Hotel, it was early and the efficient and polite receptionist was extremely helpful and allowed us to check in early. For sure, it wasn't the only reason for a good impression about the staff, but they really are, all of them, very efficient and professional.
In the beginning, the hotel called our attention because it was spotlessly clean and new. The suite is very clean, plenty of room and well decorated. Bed and pillow super comfy. A fridge was very useful and free wifi is always welcome.
I strongly believe that it is not easy to find any other place with this quality, near the Capitol, with such good rates.
The metro station is practically attached to the hotel, so we can reach any place in DC in a few minutes. This is, for sure, an undeniable advantage.
For us, breakfast was included. Even though it was a limited menu, it was very good, thank you Iroda for being so attentive and efficient.
There is a 7Eleven next door and some fast food eating places outside, but be aware: everything shuts down early.
Lots of construction going on, due to this emerging area which didn't faze us.
From our room the noise of the train was barely noticeable. Anyway, if you have problems to sleep,ear plugs are helpful.
The gym was small, but served our needs.
We highly recommend Courtyard Washington DC/US Capitol

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Sandra700
Thank you very much for the wonderful review about the hotel. The entire hotel is committed to providing exceptional service. I have shared the positive feedback with Iroda and the entire team. We look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel! – Chris Zanzano, General Manger
Freehold
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 22, 2013

I have stayed at many Marriott hotels and I have to say this was by far the worst stay ever.

First, they advertise that the room is soundproof, since the Metro is right outside the window of your room (if you get a room on the wrong side of the hallway). I got to my room and found that even though I was on the 5th floor and had paid close to $400 for the night I would be forced to listen to the train all night. I could even hear the voice announcing the arriving trains! These rooms are NOT sound proof and shame on you Marriott for advertising them as such.

Next, was the hotel restaurant called the Bistro. I ordered a salad and a roast beef sandwich. The salad was fine but the sandwich had been baked for some reason and the bread was so hard that I literally could not bite into it! The roast beef was just as terrible. I was not able to eat any of it. It was old and dry and had changed colors on the edges that had been exposed to the air for god knows how long. There was also what use to be cheddar cheese that was now nothing more than a semi clear rock hard film that now covered the rock hard bread.

Seriously I have gotten better food at local mom and pop diners.

As others have said as well you really don't want to leave the hotel after dark on foot.

The staff was pleasant and valet was quick and polite as well.
Do yourself a favor and book somewhere else, DC has no shortage of hotels so shop around.

Room Tip: If you must stay here request a room that does not back up to the Metro.
1 Thank Andrea M
I sincerely apologize for the service issues you experienced during your stay. I am very sorry that you were unable to get a sound night sleep and the Bistro failed to meet your expectations. I do sincerely value the feedback as the hotel continues to improve our service and amenities. At Marriott, we are committed to providing exceptional service and when we fall short we feel that has a team we have failed. The leadership team in the hotel is committed to resolving issues such as these from happening again. – Chris Zanzano, General Manager
West Des Moines, Iowa
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 22, 2013

Location: In a neighborhood that with the extremely contrived moniker "NoMa" (yecch), which was probably barren urban wasteland a couple years ago, judging by the ton of construction going on in the immediate vicinity. It is steps from the NoMa/Gallaudet Red Line, which puts you in Union Station in about two minutes. For guests arriving by rail, you just can't beat this. There is a 7-Eleven, and Au Bon Pain, and an Indian restaruant on the ground floor of the building, and several quick-service restaurants across the street.

For those of you who like to walk around and explore, get back on Metro and take it downtown or wherever. At present, there is little to no reason to tour this area by foot; nothing to see, and the panhandling comes frequently and aggressively.

Personnel: I have found nothing but professional and pleasant staff here.

Condition of Property: This place is quite new, and it shows. I've stayed here on four different occasions, and my room was uniformly clean and quiet each time.

Amenities: Standard issue Courtyard. A small gym, and the typical dining options. The bar/restaurant offers much the same fare as you will find at most any CY. The bar is much larger and busier than you will find at your average CY, and Ammanuel the bartender makes good drinks, is very personable - a great ambassador for DC.

Value for Price: In the eye of the beholder. I have paid anywhere from the low $200s (a pretty good deal for DC) to a recent high of $369 per night (outrageous for a CY, by any measure). I am of the opinion that no Courtyard on the planet is worth >$400/night after taxes, but I do also understand the concept of supply and demand.

Warning: If your destination requires a taxi, call downstairs way ahead of time. This property is a bit tucked away, so cabs don't just drive by. Waits of 15-20 minutes are not uncommon.

1 Thank Peter S
Thank you for continuing to stay with us while DC. I am happy to hear that our staff has continued to provide professional service and you enjoy the close proximity to the metro and Union Station. – Chris Zanzano, General Manager
Virginia Beach VA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 20, 2013

After the nice response to my comments by the general manager, we decided to give it another try. Still a pretty decent hotel in an excellent location. Being next to the NOMA train station is a big benefit as you can take the red line directly to many of the local attractions and such. As always, we parked at our daughters apartment complex because 33 is just a little too steep for overnight parking. Seems they would have some type of package for guests but it is open and everyone for themselves. Great wifi at this hotel, never had an issue. Staff was pretty good but I've seen better. I still noticed that after 6 months there are still no safes in the rooms? This is a very urban setting and to have to leave expensive stuff in your room is unsettling at best. I believe this is one of the most important features in a hotel room, especially in inner city settings and I am surprised this hasn't been addressed especially since these safes are pretty inexpensive. My final comment is the lack of complementary coffee available. I know some people like Starbucks but I think it is terrible. I suggest going right next door to the 7-11 as I and many other people do.

Room Tip: Get on room on the street side unless your are a train lover.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for choosing to stay with us again! I am happy to share with you that we are currently installing safes into all of the guestrooms. We look forward to welcoming you back the next time you visit your daughter. – Chris Zanzano, General Manager
Saint Paul, Minnesota
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 18, 2013

This apparently is a rapidly changing area very near Galladet University. There is LOTS of construction going on. I thought several times before booking here based on concerns others raised. NO problems whatever. I am very conscious of safety issues and see no problems with staying here. Can't talk about taking a 20-25 minute run or walk in the area. But the hotel is literally 30 seconds away from a Red LIne Metro Stop. A 7-11 is next store and several casual chain restaurants.

Free wi-fi that worked very well. I would have NO problem bringing a family here...as of March 2013 prices are well below what you'd find for similar quality in Alexandria or Arlington VA. Just before I checked in, another person checked in on business. He comes to DC regularly and told me he thinks this is "one of the best hotel bargains in the city." I agree.

This is not a super luxury hotel. But it is very pleasant for business people.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for the comment. I am happy that you enjoyed the NoMa neighborhood that we are located in and close proximity of the metro. We look forward to welcoming you back the next time you are in DC! – Chris Zanzano, General Manager
Osprey, Florida
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 16, 2013

Many good things to say about this hotel, especially the location adjacent to the first Metro stop outside of Union Station. The hotel itself is clean, bright, very well decorated, and the rooms are great. The odd-numbered rooms face the Metro, and it is sometimes noisy. The parking, at $33/night is awfully expensive. There is cheaper commercial parking within a couple of blocks, BUT there are also plenty of sketchy guys wandering the nearby streets, which makes it a bit uncomfortable, and maybe unsafe. If you are simply using the Metro to come and go, it's just fine. There's a Five Guys burger joint across the street, if that floats your boat, and a 7-11 next door for coffee and odds and ends. A McDonald is only two blocks away, too. I got a pretty good price (for a DC hotel) at about $200 w/taxes, so I cannot complain too much. It is not Dupont Circle or Georgetown, and it's not Chinatown, either. Free PCs and printers in the 2nd floor lobby are a big plus, as is free wired and wireless Internet. If you want to walk around at night, I'd recommend taking the Metro to the neighborhood of your choice.

2 Thank AnAceBuyer_007
Thank you for the review. I am pleased to hear that you had many great things to say about the hotel. The area that the hotel is in continues to develop and grow. We look forward to welcoming you back in the future. –Christopher Zazano, General Manager