“Nice hotel, shady and rude staff, good location for business during day and mugging by night.”

The Eldon Luxury Suites
Ranked #113 of 142 Hotels in Washington DC
Reviewed January 24, 2014

Go elsewhere! All interactions with front desk were tense and unnecessarily abrasive (except for one employee who worked the desk during the day who took the time to look at me in the face, greet me and smile). All of the other desk folks were put off by my requests/ concerns, were unhelpful and clearly did not want to be dealing with a guy in a camo hat. One guy, night desk stared me down in the way we all know but can't comment on (I'm Caucasian) simply because I complained that they charged me for parking for my entire stay before my stay was done. I parked elsewhere and STILL HAVE NOT BEEN REFUNDED. Additionally, when these folks tell you they need a card # for incidentals, they fail to tell you they are going to hit your card for 150$. I do not make or have much money, I was in town because a relative had emergency heart surgery at a nearby hospital, and could have very easily been stranded without food or gas. When I called the morning after my first night there (when I saw the charges for incidentals and "advance" parking), the girl I spoke with went through the whole "ignorance" routine- this was a sad and miserable conversation with zero results. She said verbatim "we will refund these charges immediately- she did not do this at all. After this call I had an uneasy feeling about their employees accessing my room even though I hung the do not disturb sign. I got back late that night to find with 100% certainty that they had gone in the room and had disturbed personal belongings- nothing was missing, but I believe that's irrelevant. Parking prices were ridiculous at the hotel- approx 35$ per night and the continental breakfast which was comparable to a days inn cost 6$. Lastly: unsafe place to be at night

Nice rooms, but ABSOLUTELY NOT WORTH IT.

I hope that the "race police" will not scrub this review because of my feedback. If these things were not true I wouldn't dare say them.

• Stayed: January 2014
5  Thank Twc80

Reviewed January 20, 2014

The Eldon is a little way out of the main city area but, therefore, is relatively quiet. The immediate area is undergoing major construction work (new hotel) which caused some early moring noise but overall sleep quality was good.
The hotel itself could do with a little TLC and is looking a little worn in places. The main room in our particular suite had an "autere" feel about it and could do with additional furniture and decoration.

Having said that, the bedroom was well equipped and the bed was exceptionally comfortable. The bathroom had been modernised to a very good standard. The staff on Reption were excellent - every query dealt with quickly, effectively and in a friendly manner. Breakfast was adequate but at $5 a time, I reckon this is the best value breakfast in town.

Walking to the main sites was not a problem (20mins to the White House) and there is a well-stocked pharmacy and store very close by. The choice of restaurants in the Chinatown area was excellent - our particular favourite being Clyde's.

The one issue I had was with the fact that crockery and cutlery had been left in the dishwasher and not cleaned (again, quickly resolved once mentioned) and the elevator neede sweeping out. But, apart from these relatively minor problems, The Eldon offered great value for money and I would be happy to return.

Room Tip: Ask for a room that doesn't look out onto a brick wall!
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank MikeE76
Reviewed January 7, 2014

I have a great Christmas break at this hotel, it was recently remodeled so its very clean and nice looking hotel. Its in walk-able distance to capital building, white house and many other museums. If you plan on driving to this motel get ready to 40$ for parking alone.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank SreeBio
Reviewed January 6, 2014 via mobile

When I walking in the room I usually check to see if there is any present of the last guest that was in the room. I found the kitchen sink handle was broken, trash from the last guest was in the cabinet. But also it look as if someone came in and painted the room but they didn't clean up the wet paint drippings. And, last there was dust on top of all the pictures and one picture was missing off the wall.

Stayed: January 2014, traveled with friends
1  Thank Daymond9
Reviewed December 24, 2013

Although the reviews are pretty lukewarm about the Eldon Luxury Suites, I found this hidden gem to be a fantastic hotel based on amenities and location. The room was extremely spacious, had modern furniture/appliances and a fantastic bathroom. My family was very comfortable with the bed and pullout couch and enjoyed both dinner and breakfast with the full kitchen. Whether you cook at the hotel or bring food, you'll love using the flat top stove, oven, microwave, refrigerator and included plates/cutlery. The bathroom was really nice with the glass and designer sink. My son loved the shower so much (with the multiple nozzle heads) that I had to coax him out of the bathroom. It was a short walk from the hotel to the Verizon Center where we enjoyed the concert. I didn't hear any construction after 5pm of the new Marriott that is located in front of it. Nor did I hear construction in the morning before 7am (had to check out and head to the gym/work). I highly recommend this location - you'll love it.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank FamilyTravel4Me
Reviewed November 28, 2013

If you have a hankering to stay in a rustic room, this hotel might be for you. It's shelter but not much more. The beds are uncomfortable, heat is either blasting dry heat in your face or off. The showers run at a trickle. But what's odd is that the walls seem to be sheets of plywood with several coats of polyurethane on them. It's strange.

Stayed: November 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Brian H
Reviewed November 26, 2013

Huge rooms with seperate living room and and kitchen. Perfect when you have to do some work in your room and you dont want to do it from your bed like I normally end up doing in regular hotel rooms. I was also able to walk to the white house, mall etc so cant beat the locaton, althought the surrounding construction makes the neighbourhood a little noisy first thing in the morning.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled on business