“Contemporary Luxury on the Inside, Historic Washington on the Outside”

The Eldon Luxury Suites
Ranked #117 of 141 Hotels in Washington DC
Reviewed November 30, 2012

We chose the Eldon based on three things; its proximity to the Washington Convention Center, the fact that all rooms were suites and of course the price. Just a block and a half from the convention center, if you are attending an event there, then it is extremely convenient. As you walk down a quiet corner of L street, your first impression would be that the Eldon Suites housed in a traditional federal style 1800's looking building, would drip with traditional luxury. Luxury yes, but anything but traditional. Remodeled into a sleek contemporary feel, you will feel like you are in an ultra modern facility. We stayed in a one room suite that was large and comfortable with a separate full kitchen/living room, bath and bedroom. The wood paneled walls are light colored and give the rooms an airy feeling. The beds are among the most comfortable I have ever slept on in a hotel and the bathroom spa style shower made me late several mornings, as I enjoyed a refreshing shower. Great dining is just a short walk away, as is the national mall and all of its sightseeing opportunities.

Just a few cons: there is very little on-site parking, albeit very secure and the $30 a day rate seemed a bit steep. The continental breakfast, little more than juice, coffee, donuts and bagels was $5 per person. I have had better free breakfasts at Holiday Inn. Finally the front desk staff was less that friendly at times. I stood at the desk for what seemed an eternity while one woman had her attention solely on her cell phone. One other thing that should be mentioned is that if you go anytime soon, expect to hear (and see) the construction of the new Marriott Washington Marquis almost directly across the street.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the upper floors.
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank Rick O

Reviewed November 28, 2012

I have read a good amount of negative reviews on this hotel and I disagree with them all. This is not a hotel to stay in if you want room service and more traditional hotel amenities. That being said, no where on the website do they try to make look like one. It is a great place to stay with a family, or on business for several days.

It is really a apartment style hotel more then a traditional one night stay hotel. It is very modern and has plenty of room to spread out. It offers a full kitchen, with eat in option on bar, full living room and separate bedroom. This is great to cook your own meals and have a peaceful place to work, or spread out with a family.

I agree the fact that they do not offer a room service option originally bothered me, but I much prefer the option to shop and cook my own food.

As long as you are aware it is more of an apartment style stay then traditional hotel, you will absolutely love the place.

Room Tip: Back of the hotel is the best.
1  Thank jphazon
Reviewed November 15, 2012

I stayed here for six nights while attending a conference at the Convention Center. The hotel is right around the corner. My suite was beautiful, with a well equipped kitchen. Everything was spotless and cleaned perfectly every day (even my dirty dishes :)). The shower with its different jets was amazing!
This is a suite hotel with limited front desk service. My check in (late at night) was perfect, but they would not call me a cab when I asked them to (told me to go find one in the street). During checkout the person at the front desk was on the phone taking a reservation from somebody else. After spending $$$ at this hotel I would have hoped for a bit more personal attention.
I would stay here again only for the beautiful suites and convenient location.
There is a lot of construction in the area. I walked back to the hotel by myself late at night and always felt safe.

2  Thank girbit
Reviewed November 2, 2012

I booked the eldon suites for my birthday and paid for my hotel. UPON ARRIVAL I was informed that I would not be able to stay at the hotel that I had already paid for due to the fact that I did not have a major credit card for incidentals even though I was never informed that I would need one. The front desk attendant was very rude and sarcastic and told me I could have someone come and bring me a credit card at 10pm at night. There was also bo manager available that I could speak to and no hotel policy i could receive a copy off. I ended up having to book another hotel, and was two hours late for my own birthday dinner. I still have not received my refund from the Eldon (it's been over a week). I have stayed at many 5 star hotels in DC (monaco,mayflower,quincy) and never had this issue. DO NOT STAY AT THIS HOTEL!!!

• Stayed: October 2012
7  Thank Adritay
Reviewed October 12, 2012

We stayed here for 4 nights,and I have to say i was slightly alarmed when we arrived as it is smack bang in the of a contruction zone and looks like a run down area however it is being redeveloped so to be expected.
It is a great place to make your base, and as we like to walk as much as is possible it was handily located.
The aparmtent was great, not that we were there much, the bed is possibly the most comfortable I have ever slept in. We had the distinct pleasure of meeting Myke who came by and sorted out the wifi connection for us. Lovely guy who was polite and helpful and amusing, thanks myke!

If I found myself in washington again I would stay here.

Room Tip: honestly there is no view as the building work is going on all sides, perhaps higher floors if you w...
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank 0vicster0
Reviewed October 11, 2012

I would agree with the comments that the term "luxury" is misleading. nice, but getting a bit worn. Pros: The suite was large with a nice full kitchen. Bed and linens were comfortable. Large closets. Room safe. Less than a block to the convention center. Neighborhood a bit rough (boarded windows) but looks like it is going through a renewal program, so may improve. Wonderful shower.
Cons: There were Mosquitos in the room my first night. This may be because the bathroom sink doesn't drain all the way so always had a pool of water. The shower needed to be repaired as it leaked badly, which is causing mold to develop in the bathroom. I was using the snack box, but they didn't refill daily. The floors were all marble, but weren't as clean as they should have been, as my feet got very dirty when I walked around bare footed. No bathtub. TV remote broken, so used controls on back of tv. Tried to call front desk to ask about remote, but they never answered.

Room Tip: The reviews are so inconsistent that it makes me think the "luxury" varies by room or floo...
A TripAdvisor Member
Washington D.C.
Reviewed October 8, 2012

I booked the Eldon via Expedia and when I arrived at the hotel, they informed me that they were overbooked and didn't have a room for me for two nights. The owner also manages two really low quality hotels 10 blocks away and offered to send me there for two nights and then have me return back to the Eldon for the rest of my stay. How bad does someone's IT infrastructure need to be in order for them to make this mistake? When I arrived back at the Eldon two days later, I reminded the management that the rate at other hotel (the Windsor) was half of the Eldon and that I should be discounted accordingly. The manager told me that because the reservation was already paid for, there was nothings she could do!! I've yet to checkout and really fight for the partial refund, but I don't see how they could justify not yielding it. The facilities themselves are really really nice. Everything is covered in marble and wood. The bathroom has designer fixtures and nice Japanese six-way shower

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com
3  Thank A TripAdvisor Member