Open today: 6:00 AM - 2:30 AM
Review Highlights
Hertz - Worst Experience Ever

In late September we were traveling and rented a car from the Hertz location at the Hyatt Regency... read more

Reviewed 2 days ago
Sandy K
Fernandina Beach, Florida
Hertz Portland, Oregon

Do not book with these people. Our flight was delayed 2 hours coming from Denver (don't get me... read more

Reviewed 2 days ago

from $52.20
from $68.00
from $45.00
More Info
See what travelers are saying:
Selected filters

Hertz Complaint:

Back in March we rented a car online (as a 'Gold Plus Member') with Hertz.com for a July trip to Ireland. We rented a VW Touran, which has 7 seats and plenty of cargo space.
Upon arriving in Dublin we were informed that the vehicle we selected was no longer available (or being produced) and they'd have to give us something else. They brought out a 5 passenger sedan and claimed it was in the same 'class' of cars at the Touran. We tried loading some of the luggage in the trunk and quickly discovered it would be inadequate. They then had us try two other vehicles both of which were clearly too small.

According to Hertz's own website this is the definition of a 'class T' vehicle:
(T) GMC Yukon or Similar
Fullsize SUV
7 Passengers
2 Large Suitcases, 2 Small Suitcases

We were then told the only vehicle of the size we needed was twice the price of our original rental (and it was actually smaller than the Touran). They blamed the lack of cars on the golf open and said things were really busy because of it, apparently making the reservation 6 months early didn't help much). I offered to try a different rental agency and was a told I'd have to pay Hertz for the entire amount since I hadn't cancelled before pickup time. After spending almost 2 hours in and out of the rain looking at vehicles, we decided to take the 'upgrade' so we could begin our trip.
Upon returning to the US, I contacted Hertz to see about getting a discount or reimbursement for the extra costs. They told me that Hertz Ireland is an independent company and they could contact them to see what they'd do. Hertz Ireland has decided that since I signed for the car, I should pay the entire price (as if I had any other option at the time). Several contacts with support have yielded no results.
I checked the other day and guess what, Hertz.com still offers the VW Touran as an option in Dublin, I wonder how many other customers rent it and go through the same bait and switch we did.
I would strongly recommend never renting from Hertz in either Ireland or the USA.

Date of experience: July 2019
1  Thank Brian_Donna_W
Reviewed 3 weeks ago

I really wish I would have come to this page before renting my car from Hertz. This has been the worst car rental experience of my life! I called their customer service and they are pretty much useless. I'm still waiting for a supervisor to call me back. I'm thinking it's not going to happen. They added $367 worth of charges to my credit card after I had paid for the rental!

We rented a car for our trip. We needed a car that would comfortably fit four adults and luggage, coolers, etc. We picked up the car on Saturday. My husband decided to wash the windows and the wiper blades just fell off. Both of them. They had the wrong blades on the car. They didn't fit. The only thing keeping the blades on the car was the weight of the wiper arms. They were closed Saturday and Sunday so we decided to call them from the road on Monday. The girl said we could wait for roadside assistance or go to any Hertz dealer. Since there was no rain in sight, we decided to wait until we reached our destination. We arrived very late, so the first thing the next morning we headed to Hertz. We explained the situation and they said that they didn't have a car comparable to the one we had so he sent us to the airport to swap out cars. This wasted several hours of our vacation!

They checked the car and sure enough, as soon as the agent lifted the wiper arms, the blades fell off. They showed us the car they were swapping for us. It would fit the four of us, but not our luggage. It was way too small. I told them that this wouldn't work for us. It's not the same size as the car I had paid for. They then upgraded us and charged us for the upgrade! How can they do that because they couldn't give us a car that was comparable to the one we had paid for. It wasn't our fault! And it gets better.....

Since there were four of us. We paid for one additional driver. I checked online and it said $13.50 per additional driver. I was also quoted at the pickup location, and the airport the same amount. When I checked my receipt later, they charged me $187 for the additional driver. How does $13.50 x 7 days equal $187? When I mentioned that to the customer service representative, she said, "Well you signed for that amount." No, I didn't sign for that amount! I signed a little ELECTRONIC BOX with no writing on it while I was being quoted $13.50. That's what I signed. Not a paper with words, but a little box with nothing. That is so unfair!

They rented us an unsafe car, to begin with. What would have happened if we had a downpour driving 70 mph down the highway? We could have been killed!

We've been renting cars for many, many years and I've never had such a horrible experience. I'm going back to Enterprise where we've had no problems. After reading all these comments here and other places, I can see that they are scammers!

Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

I would like to say that the service provided by Hertz (Firenze, Italy) was bad, but in order for that to happen the service has to exist in the first place.
In spite of booking the car 3 months in advance, when we got to the office, we learnt that there were no cars available for almost no one at the store.
The staff is rude and unhelpful, they don't even dare answering your questions if you arrive earlier than your supposed booking - they seem to be willing to apply their rules whenever it's convenient to them. Their so called solution - not only to us but to everyone there - was simply to apologize for the inconvenience, cancel your booking and point you where you can try renting another car.
It's simply pathetic and borderline insulting how they treat their customers. My advice - always refering to our experience with the Firenze office - spare yourself the issue and the argument, don't book.
Side note, their web reservation system is so great that you can literally book as the staff tells you they don't have cars

Reviewed 3 weeks ago

We picked up a car from Hertz at the Bethesda Marriott and were given all kinds of differing information regarding drop off fees than we had received the day before via the telephone (when we secured the car). We were actually told on the phone there would be no drop off fees when we returned it to Georgetown later that day. That was incorrect information, however, after speaking to the manager in Bethesda they agreed to wave the drop off charges (good customer service). Unfortunately, that was not conveyed to our drop off location (bad customer service). As luck would have it, when we returned our car to 1919 Connecticut Ave NW in DC, we were helped by Megan Ferrell, Branch Manager. She provided EXCEPTIONAL CUSTOMER SERVICE, resolving the matter hassle-free. Thank you, Megan - it was a pleasure to do business with you!

Reviewed 3 weeks ago

I wish I had the energy to explain the whole situation, but unfortunately after traveling to 4 different locations AND being on the phone with customer service for over 3 hours I simply do not want to give Hertz any more of my life.

My experience in short:

*I travel every single week for work and usually use Budget or Dollar but decided to give Hertz a try as they had a good deal. NEVER AGAIN.

1. After traveling in a $45 Uber to their location, they had NO cars. 0. None. Was told to go to another location
2. Another Uber $15, new location has no cars
3. Hertz tells me it's my job to find a location that has a car even though they were the ones who didn't perform?
4. Another Uber, no cars.
5. 3 hours with customer service. Being hung up on. Transferred. No on takes responsibility.
5. 4th location has car... two classes smaller than the one I ordered. Tell me I can call customer service to find a location that has my car.
6. Take car because I needed to get out of town. Customer service tells me to go to a specific location.
7. Get to location and they don't have the car I originally ordered, one class above. No brainer, just give me the car. Nope. They said they have to charge me per day for an "upgrade" even though I wasn't being refunded for being downgraded for the past two days?
8. Pay more to get a decent sized car since I am tall and that's why I made a reservation for a larger car to begin with. They charge me for gas which I didn't even get a full tank and took a photo and they still charged.

In short: DO NOT EVER BOOK WITH HERTZ. They literally made me cry I got so frustrated. Never in my life have a dealt with such horrible customer service.

This isn'