“A good bargain, I'll be back”

District Hotel Washington
Ranked #133 of 141 Hotels in Washington DC
Philadelphia
“A good bargain, I'll be back”
Reviewed August 6, 2010

Apparently this hotel may be hit or miss. With me it was a hit. Comfortable bed, clean sheets, good (quiet) AC, decent-sized room (for a city hotel, meaning not cramped at all), free wifi that worked. Staff were friendly and cooperative. The only minuses: The elevator was broken when we were there, but a sign offered help carrying stuff up (we didn't need help). And there was a little noise from neighboring doors slamming.
If you're looking to be pampered, this isn't it, and you won't find it at this price anyway. But we found it perfectly comfortable and at $125 for a reasonably central location, it was a definite bargain.
Note: they have a few parking spaces in back, it costs $20 to park overnight in one.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (78)
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
Fredericksburg, Virginia
Reviewed August 5, 2010

Hubby & I went to noon Nationals game, since we live south (I-95 traffic horrible!) we decided to get a room and enjoy DC. We were able to leave baggage at front desk. Caribou Coffee & 7-11 at end of street. They do not answer the phone after 10pm to 6am.

Negatives: In District heights! (bad neighborhood). Next door to a nightclub! No bar in shower (slipped have nasty bruise). Could barely open door half way because of clothes bar (about 1 foot wide). We asked for smoking room (specific on rez & showed rez), was told none available. (Had to go out on front street with unsavory people walking sidewalks!). Ice machine 2nd floor.

We were placed in 102. 1st door on left after front doors. SO, we heard every person tripping on the top step, opening the door and all the wonderful traffic. 15 block walk to metro! Rez said close to metro!

Sheets didn't fit on bed, they kept creeping up when you turned. A/C never cooled the room. Tried ceiling fan to help cool down, but it rocked so much the chain kept clanging on glass bulb. Pillows were horrible.

Had a wonderful time at bb game, but almost no sleep due to noise at hotel. AVOID. We paid $120. I know that's not a lot, but a decent sleep would have been nice!

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple

Travelers are raving about these Washington DC hotels

Orlando, Florida
Reviewed July 3, 2010

This was the worst hotel experience I've ever had! I realize it's an older hotel but I did not expect to hear the conversations in the next room as though I was in the room. The light bleeding through the connected door. What topped it off was hearing the people in the next room having sex around 1AM which I doubt anyone on that floor didn't hear since they were VERY loud. That was the last straw and I had to leave at 7AM to catch my shuttle to the airport. The elevator was broken so we had to carry our luggage up stairs. The breakfast was a joke. Very disappointing for the money I had to spend to stay here.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled with friends
2 Thank WorldTravelerTig88
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 29, 2010

We payed $320 incl tax for 2 nights in king size bedroom. We had a one year old child with us.

First complaint is that they did not warn us that they did not have a crib for our child. I had requested it and given my details to contact me if they did not have one available (website said they had), so I assumed it was all fine. But it wasn't and I was worried where my child had to sleep now. However, somehow magically and after a *lot* of complaining they got a crib from somewhere. So I cannot really complain about this issue anymore, expect that I have to say I really made a BIG fuss about it before they started looking for a solution. Apparently they got a crib from a neighbouring hotel in the end.

Linen was clean and our room was quite big, unlike what I had read before. But the room itself was really run down and not clean. As with everything else in the hotel. Everything looks like it's about to break or fall down any moment. The lobby served as the breakfast area, so we had to sit on a sofa to eat. Breakfast included old, dried out buns and bad coffee. You can hardly call it breakfast in particular because we had to eat it while sitting in a sofa as well. Felt like a low budget hotel while we did not pay low budget price.

Location was good in terms of nearby attractions, it's just north of the mall. We stayed at the front of the hotel and it was very noisy from the traffic as it lies on a busy street that gets a lot of traffic from busses and lorries. Most rooms are at the back, so statistically you should be fine most of the time.

Will NOT stay here ever again. $160 (tax incl) per night is not worth it. Look for a proper budget hotel or pay a small premium and stay somewhere nice. But this is neither of the two.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled with family
1 Thank katrien_from_london
toronto
Reviewed June 14, 2010

please do yourself a favor and don't even think about staying here. my room is 7x4 ft. The door to my room opens out. The double just fits. This space should simply be a storage room. there must be some kind of standards that hotels should follow. they do indeed advertise free internet, but it's intermittent. actually mostly doesn't work. the lobby is under renovation and not in service. the elevator is broken, which doesn't bother me because i'm mobile. but if you have a hard time walking, not good. this hotel is run down and in need of repair. it is not worth the price. there is absolutely no value here. i've learned my lesson. the next time i go to a make international conference attended by thousands, i'm not going to leave my hotel booking til 2 weeks before. this is what i get for procrastinating. i bet you any money that a prison cell is bigger. there is no where to hang my clothes. there is no where to put my bags.the bathroom is a toilet, skin and shower. no where to put my toiletries. it is really bad. i have never seen anything like this before.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled on business
2 Thank vitolosito
Mercersburg, Pennsylvania
Reviewed June 5, 2010

We stayed at the District Hotel for two nights. For the money, it was a reasonable value for us. It's an old, small hotel in the center of a large urban area. Yes, the elevator is out of service, and the hotel needs renovation. The staff we dealt with were all friendly, knowledgeable, and helpful. They offered to carry our bags up the stairs. They gave good information about places to eat, and were courteous at breakfast.
The room was small, but clean. We were on third floor, at rear of hotel. Everything in the room worked. Newer a/c unit with remote control, small refrigerator, standard TV/cable. We were able to access wireless service from our room. The bathroom had been recently remodeled/updated. Water pressure and temperature were consistent and fine.
The breakfast included waffles from a mix, cereals, bagels, muffins, coffee, juice, etc. The 'business center' is a room on the third floor with two PCs, printer, etc. We did not check out the fitness room. Cooler with bottled water, some soft drinks for sale in lobby. Ice machine on second floor.
Parking: There are five parking spaces at the back of the hotel, accessed from an alley. Cozy, but otherwise fine. First-come, first-served for the spaces. Fee charged per night.
Cabs pass the front of the hotel frequently--easy to catch. Numerous restaurants, bars, and a Whole Foods grocery 2-3 blocks from hotel. Easy walk to DuPont circle area, or Logan Circle.
We would stay there again. When/if renovations are done, I'm sure the price will be much higher, in line with the newer, larger chain hotels nearby (double the price, or more).

Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple
Tampa, Florida
Reviewed May 28, 2010

Pros:
room was big
bed was comfy and very clean linen
staff very helpful
bathroom was OK
reasonable for such an expensive city
breakfast is OK and the coffee is great
Cons:
rooms on the street are noisy during morning rush hour (starts about 6); ask for a room at the back
hotel is about a half mile from the metro, uphill when you're returning tired from touring
internet access is $7.50 for a half hour
Pros outweigh the cons for me,

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple