“I was so relieved to leave.”

District Hotel Washington
Ranked #132 of 140 Hotels in Washington DC
London, United Kingdom
“I was so relieved to leave.”
Reviewed October 22, 2013

Paint falling off woodwork,

No Duvet covers

Sinks not letting out water.

No pressure in bathroom tap over sink,

Stains on carpets,

No net curtains,

Windows had reinforced chicken wire with paint smudges on them in bathroom with a centimetre gap to outside sat at top of window.

Two blown bulbs in lights,

Internal doors didn't shut properly,

No coffee facility.

Really small rooms.

Advertise breakfast but you eat in entrance hall.

Air con over bed directly behind headboard causing vibration and air in face all night. Had to put pillow behind to stop vibration. Couldn't turn it off and put ceiling fan on as that did not work anyway.
Room very small.
No easy access from outside into hotel.

Asked for a cab to train station and he rung a mate. Couldnt get him so said 'do you know what you would be better off hailing a cab' , This meant me running out with cases in rain. Nice service.
Turned up late from being out a couple of nights and no one on desk. No security on front door. No locking.
I was ready for some of this as i had read revues. It was short notice booking really. Its not really that close to anything either as some people suggested in other revues. Its about 10 blocks to whitehouse, maybe more. A long walk. This is the worst hotel i think ive stayed at. Even budget wise there must be better. How can regulations let them get away with it.

Room Tip: Cant think of any way you can get a better stay here. Book early and maybe even pay more with other...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank blightnight

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (73)
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
Utrecht, The Netherlands
Reviewed October 14, 2013

Me and my girlfriend read the reviews at this website after we booked two nights in this hotel. Although we were prepared for the worst case scenario, we had a very pleasant stay. The room 2nd floor) was clean and neat, although quiet small. The breakfast and room-cleaning were decent. The personnel was friendly.

If you want a cheap hotel at a great location, this is a good option.

Room Tip: At least the room we had on the 2nd floor is good
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Henk S
Tennessee
Reviewed October 6, 2013

Sorry, but this stay had no redeeming qualities of any kind. I've ended up on mud floors under thatched roof and still found something worthwhile in the experience and consider myself an extremely flexible traveler with very modest expectations but this one had nothing of interest to offer.

I noticed another traveler mentioned they found a clean room. Must have been at a different place.

There was nothing remotely resembling anything which had been cleaned including the entrance and lobby. Carpets, furniture was so worn, tired, broken, it was not serviceable to be cleaned. Worse, it was uninteresting.

Room Tip: Just dont do it.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank PCee_12

Travelers are raving about these Washington DC hotels

Dickinson, North Dakota
Reviewed September 9, 2013

My son and I stayed at this hotel for three nights while touring DC. Thank goodness we didn't have to spend much time in the room. The room was sooooo small. Barely room for our two suitcases to be open on the floor at the same time. The walls are paper thin and we heard the conversations of the guests in the room next to us. The wall air conditioner was so loud that if we did have the Television on we had to have it turned up so loud I was afraid the guests in the next room would complain. The lobby has a nice seating area, but that is the only space available to eat breakfast. There were so many people crammed into the lobby for breakfast that it was uncomfortable and the wait for the waffle machine almost wasn't worth it.

The bathroom was newly remodeled and I found that to be my favorite part of the room.

When I checked in they charged the card that I made the reservation with even though I asked if I could pay cash. When they told me the transaction was voided it took 3 full days for the charge to disappear from my account. Good thing I didn't need that money for the trip.

I'm not giving this hotel a poor review, just reporting it like I saw it. It didn't live up to the expectations I had for it, but it definitely was in my price range which is a bonus. If you don't plan on spending much time in your room and can go out for breakfast elsewhere, its an ok place to stay.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
New York City, New York
Reviewed September 6, 2013

If you are looking for the hotel with fancy amenities and decors, this is not the one. The hotel is conveniently located in rather quiet area but 15 min walk to Dupon Circle and one block walk to lively P Street where many restaurants and Whole Foods are located. The room is clean, and has a full clean bath room with bath tub, refrigerator, free wifi connection, TV, alarm clock and A/C. ( Each room may be different. Better ask when you book.) The hotel provides a free simple breakfast at the lobby. The front desk is freindly and helpful.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
Mold, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 31, 2013

This is one of those case where I do not recognise the hotel from some of the poor reviews here. Although rather strangely there was nowhere to hang clothes we stayed in a room that had been recently refurbished and was very modern as was the en suite bathroom. The location is superb - lots of bars, restaurants etc. close by but the hotel is on the edge of them away from any noise. Very safe area. Also close to all attractions - we walked to Capitol, White House, Lincoln Memorial and Arlington Cemetry. I would not look for anywhere else to stay should i ever be in DC again.

Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Galveston, Texas
Reviewed August 20, 2013

I booked this with booking.com and canceled weeks ago and today I get billed for 2 nights, they say I did not cancel but I did! I called Booking.com and asked why I got charged for free cancelations and I was told that they have no record of my canceling.

Stayed August 2013, traveled with family