“Decent place to stay at a reasonable price.”

District Hotel Washington
Ranked #136 of 141 Hotels in Washington DC
Reviewed January 30, 2013

We stayed at the District Hotel for the weekend of the Presidential Inauguration. The hotel is obviously an older building that has been renovated. It is a narrow, four story building crammed between other similar buildings. The hallways are somewhat narrow and the rooms are plain, but they were warm and clean. The front desk staff was polite and helpful.
The continental breakfast was simple but O.K. (coffee, danishes, cereals, etc.)
The most obvious drawback was very limited on-site parking. There are only about four parking spots in a narrow alley behind the hotel. I was lucky enough to get a spot. I never moved my vehicle during my stay, we used public transportation. The hotel charged me $30.00 per day to park there. (reasonable in Washington). There are public parking ramps nearby, The advantages to staying here are that it is within walking distance to the White House area (about 8 blocks - a 12 minute walk), and a very reasonable price. The elevator is small, but worked fine. There is a night club next door. I overheard a customer saying that he could hear music from the nightclub from his room. I was on the other side of the building and didn't hear a thing. The hotel did not appear to be handicap accessible.
The nearest subway station is MacPherson Square, about a 10 minute walk.
If you've never been to Washington don't be deceived by distances involved. The Capitol and Lincoln Memorial look nearby on the map, but it is quite a walk. This hotel is closest to the White House and Washington Memorial.
All said, I was very pleased with the price, the room, the staff, the location, etc.
I will stay there again.
There is a neat coffee shop on the corner (about 200 feet away). There are nice restaurants, grocery stores, bars, etc. within two blocks.
If you want a fancy hotel with all kinds of services, this place isn't for you.
If you want a clean, reasonably priced room near the monuments and museums you should like this place.

Mike Niethe - January 2013

Room Tip: You may want to ask for room opposite the nightclub that's next door. We stayed on the second fl...
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled with friends
4  Thank Michael N

Reviewed January 24, 2013

We stayed at The District Hotel for four days over the inauguration weekend. The District is located in a quiet residential area, just blocks from the White House and McPherson Square Metro stop, which is the stop we used from the Reagan Airport all the way to the U.S. Capitol. We found this facility within our expectations in all aspects. The front desk employees were always friendly and helpful. The continental breakfast was just like all other continental breakfasts with coffee, pastries, muffins, bagels, waffles, cereal, and juices. You did have to eat in the lobby waiting area, instead of a dining area. We found the rooms to be exceptionaly clean. We checked the room upon check-in and found no problems with dirt, bugs or anything of the like. Yes, the room that we had was extremely small. with enough room for a full size bed, a nightstand another small table and a suitcase valet, but I did note that some rooms were larger. The bed was very comfortable. The bathroom was a regular sized bath area and we always had hot water. The District Hotel does have a working elevator. The daily maid service was always timely, perfect with all toiletries and necessities restocked every day. The heat/air unit was a window unit, but worked just fine. There was a Whole Food market the next block over, a 7-11 on one corner and a Caribou Coffee on the other.

The District Hotel is quite charming, I will call it a personality. The entrance had marble steps.
My only dissapointment was there was not a printer in the business facility.
While The District is not a 5-star facility, we found it met with all our expectations. Yes, the decor is somewhat tired and the place could use just a little bit of TLC, but otherwise we were pleased with The District Hotel and would stay here again without hesitation.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
7  Thank WeenjoytravelingUSA
Reviewed November 5, 2012

Staying at this hotel will run you about half of the cost of nearby hotels, but it comes at a price: No working elevator, small rooms with furnishings that should have been replaced years ago, public areas with dated and threadbare ambience, no in-room coffee, pathetic continental breakfast and indifferent front desk staff. That being said, the location is terrific, our room was clean, the bed was comfortable and maid service did a good job. Bottom line: If price is paramount, you won't be disappointed.

Room Tip: Stay on a low floor unless you like to walk up lots of stairs.
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
6  Thank hrza04a
Reviewed November 5, 2012 via mobile

They have the worst and rudest staff. We booked online at hotel baron (their sister hotel) and when we get there he told us we have no room and send us another hotel calls district hotel. We checked in there but then it took 2 hr my husband trying to find a parking and it was 8 pm . I had to call front desk to tell him situation and my voice was angry of course. 8 pm in dc no parking we missed our dinner reservation , drove 4 hr. and he telling me don't raise your voice you are lady act like one. We ended up leaving after how he treated me. And paying twice As much getting last min another hotel. Mean time room was horrifiying

• Stayed: November 2012
1  Thank Gcnsts
Reviewed October 14, 2012

easy check in, free upgrade to a large double bed (room 408)- no working lift but short flights of stairs, clean sheets & towels with daily changes, comfortable mattress,tv & iron but no coffee machine(coffee in lounge from 06.30 morning makes up for it) but working aircon, working hot shower & decent bathroom facilities, basic but palatable continental breakfast with newspaper( in the small lounge!) included, business room with good internert connection, excellent safe location for downtown, i know some reviews have been critical of this place but if you want a hotel for above reasons, then i recommend staying here

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
5  Thank george e
Reviewed October 10, 2012

My experience at this hotel was not good. Check in was easy. That was about the only good thing about the stay. I was given a room on the third floor. The elevator was out of order. The room I was given was barely big enough to hold a double bed. The furniture is in need of serious repair. There is no central air condtioning. The room had a very old window unit. Two of the three lights in the bathroom were burned out. When I opened the door to my room on the morning of checkout, I was surprised to find a man sleeping in the hall outside of my room. Not sure if he was a guest or someone who had managed to get into the hotel. I informed the two desk clerks upon checkout and one went immediately to investigate the situation. I would not stay at this hotel again.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank WorldTravelerTWD
Reviewed October 9, 2012

This hotel is not good. At best its a bad hostel. It is not very modern and the room I stayed in was just crap.
The "air-con" was an old extremely loud box that was attached to the single pain glass window and shook the room - meaning that not only was it merely a fan, you could not open the window and when turned off you could hear everythign from the street.
As it turned out however not being able to open the window was in effect a good thing because it menat that the pigeon who nestled on the windowsill outside was not able to fly in - neither were his friends who flew by to say hello - again something that I have never seen in a hotel before.
There was no closet to hang anything in.
If the bathroom door was open you could clearly hear what was going on in the next room - to include if next door's toilet flushed.

The only positive thing about this "hotel" was its location.

Room Tip: Choose a different hotel.
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled solo