International Guest House
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation but we can search other options in Washington DC
See available hotels
Motel 6 Washington DC(Washington DC)
View Hotel
The LINE Hotel DC(Washington DC)
  • Restaurant
Omni Shoreham Hotel(Washington DC)
  • Pool
Windsor Park Hotel(Washington DC)
  • Breakfast included
All reviewsvolunteer staffoff street parkingother guestshomemade granolawonderful hospitalityevery morningeach eveningliving roomighhostsmennonitemicrowavecouchaccommodationsblock
Reviewed April 9, 2013

The International Guest House is such a great place to stay. The room was comfortable and the whole house was clean, top to bottom. Breakfast of warm muffins was a yummy way to start each day. Evening tea time was really fun. Each night, the host would suggest a topic of conversation, but by our last evening there, so many of us had been there for several nights, the host didn't even need to start conversation. The house is conveniently located between 2 bus routes that take you to the mall and are easy transfers to other Washington DC attractions. The staff at the Guest House were very helpful in finding our way. There are some stores and restaurants within easy walking distance. There is a place to store your own food, so you don't always have to eat out. We will definitely stay there again!

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
6  Thank Lybrarian
Reviewed September 28, 2012

The price is what catches the eye (it's great value), then perhaps the location (it's a bit out of the way) - but investigate further and you'll find one of the most interesting and unusual accommodation options in DC.

The IGH is run by Mennonites, a Christian group who advocate simple living and nonviolence. Though I share these convictions, I was a bit nervous about staying there as I'm not religious. I shouldn't have worried - my wife and I couldn't have hoped for a more welcoming place to stay on our honeymoon trip.

The place is scrupulously clean, the rooms are comfortable and (importantly in DC) air-conditioned, but it was the host couple and the volunteer staff who really made the visit an absolute joy. Everyone was so friendly and pleasant, and this mood seemed to pass on to the other guests, all of whom were fascinating people in their own right. Chats over breakfast and in the evening became highlights of our trip to Washington.

Let's be clear - if you want all-night partying or sybaritic luxury (nothing wrong with either, of course), this isn't the place for you. But if inexpensive, comfortable, wholesome-warm-welcoming tickles your fancy, this is a great option. Certainly I'd take this over a faceless Holiday Inn-clone stop every day of the week.

Oh, and I could start talking about the breakfast muffins and the home-baked cookies at evening tea - but I'll let you discover those yourself!

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
5  Thank Joey_Hill
Reviewed April 9, 2012

We stayed here last year and it was awesome. This year there were different hosts and a different vibe. It was not as clean as last year. The floors were very creaky and the beds had something to protect the mattress and it seemed to make a crunching noise every time you turned over. Last year our beds were made each day and you got a fresh towel. This year we got a different towel but our beds were not made.

The tea time and breakfast were still great. It was a wonderful time to chat with the other guests. The have added fresh fruit and peanut butter to breakfast which is wonderful to have an option other than bread, muffins and cereal.

The hosts are very knowledgeable and can help you get anywhere you need to go in DC. Overall our stay was fine, but we probably would not stay there again if we were in DC.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank Lenajean
Reviewed August 2, 2011

I was pleasantly surprised that the International Guest House, not only is very modest in price but has wonderful staff, attentive, they made great muffins for breakfast, very helpful and friendly and most of all --they cleaned the toilets and bathrooms so well--that I think they are the cleanest place in WDC!! Although the rooms are shared (but you can have it to yourself in case there are not enough guests) --there is ample space to sleep and place to put your luggages. The atmosphere--is home away from home, comfortable living area, and nice location very close to bus stop and the park. Green tall trees in the neighbourhood and quiet at night. Hitch though-must return before 11 am :)

Room Tip: second floor :)
  • Stayed: June 2011, traveled on business
1  Thank Genghis17
Reviewed July 30, 2011

I stayed at the International Guest house during my visit to Washington DC, this is a bed and breakfast located in a safe neighborhood, just 20 minutes away from the White House, transportation is easy, and the hosts are very polite. Rooms are very clean, the price is cheap, just 40 dollars per night, taking into account that hotels in Washington are very expensive. The breaksfast and the tea at night are enough and delicious. I strongly recommend the IGH , if I have to go to DC again I`ll stay there for sure!!!

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled with family