“A truly great find”

Tue, 9/17
8:00 PM
Ranked #406 of 3,925 Restaurants in Washington DC
Reviewed February 4, 2019

I work in the area and regularly pass this restaurant. So I decided to dine there one evening. I know very little about tapas meals or Spanish wines. I had the tapas tasing menu with the wine pairing. The server was very attentive and explained how the wine and the food were supposed to interact with each other This was truly a first rate experience.

Date of visit: December 2018
1  Thank DCtraveller1147
Write a reviewReviews (77)

Reviewed November 8, 2018

I had lunch and ordered the plate of the day: rice with calamari, shrimp and a tomato base sauce. There was nothing wrong with the food, it was even tasteful, but nothing special. It is not difficult to do better at home. To be fair, I need to highlight the desert Arroz de Leche (rice pudim) that was very good. The room was sunny and attractive, and we had a good service (just a little higher than average).

Date of visit: November 2018
Reviewed October 20, 2018

My wife picked this restaurant for a special night out, and wow what a find!. We went with the tapas portions and glasses of Spanish wines. Our server, Nelson, was very helpful in guiding us through the food selections and wines to accompany the wonderful food. I was very pleased that my wife was able to try the imported Iberico ham, which I first tried in Barcelona in 2001. She loved it, and the smoked halibut dish (so much flavor and not fishy tasting). The spicy tomato marmalade with the aged Manchego cheese was delightful. We shared six tapas dishes and some great wines. We met the General Manager/Sommelier, Gustavo, and complimented him on his wine list and passing on good knowledge to the staff. Nelson was a delight in making the evening a wonderful experience. My wife has already sent recommendations for this restaurants to our friends back home.

Date of visit: October 2018
Reviewed October 11, 2018

Attractive room, nice people and good service -- the good vibe was immediately arrested when we arrived at our table -- like the others, a tiny bistro table with the most uncomfortable little chairs (even for average sized people) - ok if it were just a cafe for a quick drink but actively unpleasant for a meal. Attractive but not at all functional. An appealing drinks menu and food offered in tapas, half or full portions. As first timers we tried the tasting menu and found some courses tastier than others. There were unwelcome bitter notes in the watermelon soup and the monkfish sauce and rich without being super flavorful cream sauces in several courses that weren't worth the fat in them. I wanted to like it more than I could but there are several other Spanish kitchens in town that would draw me instead. Even with kitchen refinements, it would be hard to get me back unless tables and at the very least the chairs were improved.

Date of visit: October 2018
Reviewed September 17, 2018

Had a perfect brunch, basking in the natural light of this airy no-nonsense yet cozy place. Service was also casual yet professional, and smart! Had crab benedict off the brunch menu - it was unexpected: it was two perfectly poached eggs with crab meat on top, in a bowl, next to a small salad of mainly tomatoes and mango with a sprinkle strips of iceberg lettuce. The flavor was great, but once you broke the wonderful yolk, it spread into the salad of course and I was eating yolked mango pieces... I wished it was plated, well on a plate, so I can savor the flavors. However, the place, service, and the taste of the food (their bread basket was great, especially with the eggplant spread we shared) makes it a neighborhood favorite to definitely go back for.

Date of visit: September 2018