“Terrible!”

Hamilton Hotel Washington DC
Ranked #62 of 141 Hotels in Washington DC
Reviewed October 1, 2006

We stayed at this hotel for a wedding. Given the pricey nature, we assumed it would be a top-notch hotel. Unfortunately not the case.

The staff, in general, lacks customer appreciation and service recovery skills. Hotel vending facilities were depleted on almost every floor. Forcing one to drink the $5 water or go back out to enjoy a refreshment or worse yet, get some ice.
Prostitutes roamed the lobby, bar, and even checked in the hotel ( in front of my girlfriend and I). Not only was it shocking to see, but more shocking to watch your Saturday night staff handle check in as if this is done routinely.

My experience at this hotel has left me never wanting to stay at a Crowne Plaza again. Not because of the name or prestige that the Crowne Plaza name brings, but more because of the acceptance of poor customer service and a complete disregard for the hotel guest, especially at the exorbitant cost of $400 an evening. I expected much more from a hotel of this caliber.

• Stayed: September 2006, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
2  Thank Aimersb
Write a ReviewReviews (2,256)

Reviewed August 14, 2006

The Hamilton Crowne Plaza is well-located to McPherson Square and directly across the street from Franklin Square, This makes in a nice alternate in that area if you have events at the Grand Hyatt or the Renaissance Washington, two larger convention hotels that are within about a six-block walk. The finish at the CP Hamilton is nice and housekeeping seems decent, but the hotel's overall culture of service seems to be spotty. (Don't expect any extras for being platinum PC, for example.)

On the plus side, we liked the streetside outdoor seating for the restaurant and we were able to the get toothbrushes replaced that the maid kindly threw away for us after the first night. There was a $109/night weekend rate available during our stay which is certainly a bargain for this quality of property in Washington DC. It is convenient to the metro system, too. The neighborhood itself has some amenities such as places to eat or grab a cup of coffee, but it is certainly not as well-blessed with these as the Dupont Circle neighborhood.

Negative aspects include the internet service provided by Wayport Access, a third-party vendor. We found it very intermittent and at $9.95 per day, certainly no bargain for the very mediocre service. We could open the window in our room, but it is one of those annoying systems that maxes out at about two inches.

In summary, the Hamilton Crowne Plaza is a decent hotel, but not one that we would put on our "must return" list in Washington. For a good rate, it's not a bad choice.

1  Thank Standby4321
Reviewed July 21, 2006

I stayed in this hotel the weekend the blizzard hit the east coast and snowed everybody in. I'd been at the Omni Shoreham all week and stayed at The Hamilton hotel my last night in Washington -- I'm glad I did, as I enjoyed The Hamilton much more than the Omni. The hotel appeared to have been renovated recently, and though my room was a bit small, it was cozy and comfortable. I had a great view of the park below and I felt secure inside the hotel. The room was very clean and had a comfortable bed. I had to pay for 24 hours' access to the Internet (wireless), but the speed was fast and enabled me to get some good work done while watching the snow fall outside. The proximity of this hotel to the Metro (one block) makes it ideal. It also is close to many of the sites in Washington, but as my trip was business I did not have time for many of them. It's not too far of a walk from Old Ebbitt Grill -- I recommend strolling down there for a cup of clam chowder if it's cold outside.

• Stayed: February 2006, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
4  Thank bradycreel
Cambridge, UK
Reviewed June 14, 2006

This hotel is a find. The rooms are not small by European standards. And, it really is good value by European standards (and even American ones). The carpets were new and nice. The breakfast was excellent, thanks to superb, ripe, sweet fresh fruit. The staff were friendly - but it sure helped to speak Spanish to them. The operator managed to misdirect incoming calls intended for me to other's room which was unlikely to be welcome at 5:45 a.m. They have a floor for "single women" which requires it's own key card to access in the elevator. Disappointingly, my glasses were taken away with the bed sheets, but, this, certainly, was not the hotel's fault. The bed was comfortable. Hotel has a classic appearance from the outside, and is well located for walking to the convention center (aobut four blocks) or for the metro. Alas, no swimming pool.

• Stayed: June 2006, traveled on business
4  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Gander, Canada
Reviewed May 29, 2006

I was interested in reserving a room at this hotel. When I contacted the hotel to make my reservation, they informed me that there would be a $500 refundable deposit for having a small dog in the room. I asked what would happen if our dog had an 'accident'. The receptionist was very polite and said she would make a call and find out. She had me 'on hold' for a brief moment. On her return, she said politely that it was an 'all or nothing fee' - we would lose our $500 deposit. The highest deposit I have ever seen has been $100. We did not make our reservation.

Stayed: May 2006, traveled on business
Fairfax Station, VA
Reviewed May 21, 2006

We stayed at the Hamilton Hotel for one night in mid-May. We were pleasantly surprised. We thought the hotel was an excellent value. The rooms are a lot nicer in person than depicted on the website. The hotel had been tastefully redecorated several years ago and it has been kept up well. The best part was the burger from room service. It was excellent ! We would definitely stay here again. The rooms are not overly large but they are very pleasant. The bed was very comfortable. The bathroom was oversupplied with clean towels. The room and bathroom were clean. Everything worked. The staff if not overly solicitous was certainly friendly. We have no qualms in recommending this hotel. Yeah, it is NOT the Mandarin Oriental. But at half the price, it was great. This is an excellent value if you want a nice room, great location, AND don't want to spend $400 a night.

• Stayed: May 2006, traveled on business
4  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed May 9, 2006

Stayed here 5-7 May 2006. Very elegant hotel. Staff not overly friendly or helpful except bell boy. Good size room with bath in bathroom. Very comfy bed. Really loud air conditioning in the room which we didn't mind (white noise) but some might find annoying. Close to several subway locations which was handy. Washington DC is the most gorgeous city, we loved it. 2 days was not enough. Monuments at night tour is highly recommended. Also leave some time to explore Arlington Cemetery - although a sad place, it is beautiful, peaceful and full of amazing history. Try to fly in and out of Ronald Reagan (National) Airport. It is on the subway line and much close and easier than Dulles.

4  Thank Redjazz68