“Good choice”

Hamilton Hotel Washington DC
Ranked #62 of 141 Hotels in Washington DC
Reviewed March 31, 2014

The Crowne Plaza is a great looking small hotel. The staff is very friendly and accommodating. Our corner room was definitely on the small side but we had a double exposure of windows and didn't feel cramped and really didn't spend much time in the room. The bed was very comfortable and the bathroom was nicely appointed. We were there for an event at the convention center which is a few short blocks away but the location is central to all the main sights. Bonus - Starbucks in the lobby.

Room Tip: Some rooms face an alley so request a room with windows facing the street.
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
Nicole G, Manager at Hamilton Hotel Washington DC, responded to this reviewResponded April 1, 2014

Dear dianeandstuart,

We appreciate the recent comments you shared regarding your stay with at at the Hamilton Crowne Plaza. It was a pleasure for all of us to be at your service and we look forward to your next visit.

Hamilton Crowne Plaza, Washington, DC.

Write a ReviewReviews (2,256)

Reviewed March 28, 2014

Look, i travel all over the world. i like to review places, not in comparison with other places that may have a larger budget or a different vibe, but in comparison to what they COULD be. and the Hamilton crowne plaze hotel is a very nice hotel. from the time we pulled up to the door upon our arrival, to our departure the next day, we were treated as though we were very highly regarded and regular guests. We arrived on saturday afternoon, check-in was a breeze. elevators were just across the fairly small, but very nicely appointed lobby. elevators were a bit on the small side, but there were four of them, so it was all good. you do have to insert your room key to go up, but that only added to my sense of security.

STAFF: professional, courteous, observant, quick to assist.

ROOM: stayed on 14th floor; room was spacious, very clean, sufficient drawer space. our room was right beside the elevator which i had some trepidations about at first, but i couldn't hear even the slightest elevator rumble the whole time i was in the room. actually, i couldn't hear anything, not even traffic (of course, now, that coulda been due to being on the 14th floor or, more likely, the nice sleep pattern induced by the alcohol i'd imbibed just before bed).

BATHROOM: well lit, sufficient counter space at the sink for my hubby and i to share without getting in each other's way. super clean, very nice toiletries. water pressure in shower was good. facilities weren't super modern, but certainly modern enough. and anyway, those super-modern bathrooms always confuse me, so...

RESTAURANT AMBIENCE: conveniently, the hotel has a restaurant. and the food is above average. my only negative experiences were with the restaurant. the restaurant closes at 11pm and we got there at 10:40. when we walked in, there was loud rap music coming from the bar, but we had to walk through the bar to get to the restaurant. now, don't get me wrong. i love rap music, i do. and i understand that to get the full effect of rap (and other kinds of music, too), you gots to pump up the volume. but this was LOUD. and there was a group of about 10-15 young folks at the bar singing along at the top of their voices. ah, youthful exuberance. i didn't really mind that per se. but what's an older crowd supposed to do (there were 4 of us for dinner)? there were lots of empty seats in the restaurant, but nowhere to get away from the loud rap except OUTSIDE on their deck. people...it was cold. but they did have these above-the-head heaters out there that did a good job of keeping things warm, as long as i sat right under it. then, wouldn't you know it? as soon as we got seated and they brought us menus, the rap music went off, all the young people left and it was quiet in there. i wish the waiter had told us it was only a matter of a few minutes before things quieted down inside. we would have waited it out.

RESTAURANT FOOD: i ordered the chopped salad and their french fries. chopped salad good. french fries bad. the kitchen didn't even bother to put fresh fries in the fryer. they simply reheated whatever they had leftover back there. and the waiter could have at least told me that they weren't going to turn the fryer back on instead of pretending that everything was fine. this i actually found inexcusable and trifling on his part. he is supposed to be a liaison between the customer and the kitchen. but i got the distinct impression that all he was concerned about was seeing us hurry up and leave. he just wanted to get the hell outta there. the wine list was skimpy, with about 6-8 labels available as glasses for red and the same for white. you can also buy sparkling wine or champagne by the glass.

CHECKOUT: we checked out the next morning (i know, right? another quickie!) with only one glitch - they'd mistakenly charged us for valet parking. had to stand in line to address this with the desk, but it wasn't that long and the problem was corrected immediately with an apology and a smile.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled on business
1  Thank rejeneses
Nicole G, Manager at Hamilton Hotel Washington DC, responded to this reviewResponded March 30, 2014

Dear rejeneses,

We very much appreciate you sharing your experiences during your recent stay with us. We are certainly happy that you enjoyed many aspects of your stay. We do recognize that there are some areas we can improve upon and appropriate department managers will be addressing the items which you have noted. We appreciate all commentary to ensure that we act upon it appropriately to ensure all future guests will be fully satisfied as well.

We would be honored to be at your service once again for your next visit to the Washington, DC. More importantly, you would beable to experience the changes made to ensure complete satisfaction.

At your service,

Reviewed March 27, 2014

We loved, loved, loved our stay here!!! Impeccably clean and styled rooms, with perfect attention to detail. Rooms are not big, but they are done so well that it doesn't matter. My husband and I shared a double-double with our 2 daughters, ages 7 and 9.
The beds have a down-filled mattress pad that is so comfortable! Easy access to everything we wanted to do, either on foot or by using the nearby Metro.
Plenty of restaurants within walking distance, and the hotel bar was a happening place too. There were food trucks at the park across the street during the week which we enjoyed.
Overnight valet parking was a bit steep ($50), but there are garages in the area that you can use for about half that. We found one near the Avis/Budget rental location.
I would LOVE to stay here again, and highly recommend it to anyone visiting the DC area - either for business or pleasure. SO NICE! This place has truly earned their 4+ star rating.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled with family

Dear Familytravelers987,

We are absolutely honored to have received your recent review of stay with us at the Hamilton Crowne Plaza, Washington, DC.

It was a pleasure to be able to be at you and your family's service while you were our guests.

We look forward to serving you once again for your next visit to Washington, DC.

Hamilton Crowne Plaza, Washington, DC

Reviewed March 26, 2014

Arrived in DC after driving up from North Carolina, and the Hamilton was the best medicine for our tired souls...
Classy and stylish, the room was very well appointed and quite roomy...
We were greeted with a friendly and professional check-in, and our entire stay was hassle free and very enjoyable...
We loved DC and Hotel was the best base we could have had for our visit... Very central, knowledgeable staff, and a great bar/restaurant on site... We had several enjoyable evenings right inside the hotel, as well as good advice about local eateries and bars...

Room Tip: Overlooking the park was wonderful...
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 26, 2014

We had a three-night stay here in Feb.2014 and it was a really nice experience.The room is big enough for us with TWO twin-size beds.It offered free coffee and tea in the mini bar inside the room(the coffee machine is also convenient for people like me who need warm water every morning.)Wifi is FREE both inside the room and public area in the hotel, although it was said it would be charged when I booking it. Friendly staff, 3min walks to the subway station, a post office opposite, a 24hr supermarket(CVS) nearby...etc. Definitely will choose here when I come back again in DC.

Room Tip: ask for a room face to the street(don't worry, you won't be disturbed by the noise from the...
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple

Dear Joannamianmian,

We greatly appreciate you informing the TripAdvisor community know how much you enjoyed your recent stay with us.

We look forward to being at your service once again the next visit to Washington, DC.

Reviewed March 23, 2014 via mobile

Good location for all purposes - business and pleasure. Friendly and helpful staff. Good lobby to sit and greet. Very nice bar. Breakfast was good (scrambled eggs a bit gluey). Room and bathroom good. A good stay at a good hotel.

Stayed: March 2014, traveled on business
Reviewed March 20, 2014

I would HIGHLY recommend this hotel and we will definitely be staying here again! It is 1 block north of the McPherson Metro line, about 5 blocks east of the North Farragut Metro line and about a 5-10 min walk to the White House! It is in a nice area right across from the park. It also has a FULL Starbucks attached (yay!), a nice bar, and a surprisingly good restaurant (14K). The hotel rooms were well appointed and nicely decorated. The walls are extremely thin and only one night did it really cause us issues (a bacherlorette party was happening next door and I thought the pictures were going to come off the walls - thankfully they left to 'paint the town pink' by 10 p.m. and then slept until check-out time the next day). We booked early and the price was EXTREMELY good for Spring Break travel and we were very happy there. I will say that the three odd things (which I have to admit - I don't know if it is a DC hotel thing or a Crowne Plaza thing or a 'just-this-hotel' thing) but:

*they don't sell stamps at the front desk -- not a big deal, we found a post office across the street
*they also will not call you a cab -- again, not a big deal, 14th St and K are both very busy streets
*the security people are a lot less personable than the other staff persons -- I accidentally left my jacket in the restaurant and it was turned into lost and found. I was heading out that day so I couldn't go back to get it, but a friend of mine was on her way to pick it up for me. The security person wanted to know if I was 'just a restaurant guest' or if I was a 'hotel guest'??? I don't know why that would matter, but I told him I was both. He also started off with telling me that I better have someone picking it as opposed to them mailing it to me?? I never even suggested for him to mail it! I had a friend coming to pick it up that afternoon.

It was odd and abrupt and did not reflect any of the experiences that I had with the other staff (housekeeping, front desk, concierge, bellman, bar service, restaurant waiter, etc). I was quite surprised! Had I been there in person, I would spoken to the manager, but I was on a train to Baltimore at the moment. So, I would 100% recommend this hotel, but just don't lose anything or else you'll have to talk to the grumpy security man!

Room Tip: High room, quiet floor, away from elevators is always a good idea -- we had 1121 and loved it!
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled with family

Dear ILUVUNYC,

Thank you for sharing how much you enjoyed your recent stay with us. It is wonderful to read that you enjoyed so much about your stay and know that appropriate managers have been alerted for noted areas we can improve upon. Our overall team ensures that each of our guests has a wonderful experience and it is satisfying to know that we met your expectations on many different levels.

We very much look forward to being at your service once again the next time you are visiting Washington, DC.