“Great rooms, great location”

Hamilton Crowne Plaza Hotel
Ranked #61 of 141 Hotels in Washington DC
Boothbay, Maine
“Great rooms, great location”
Reviewed December 19, 2013

I stayed at the Hamilton for three nights recently. When I entered the room I was very impressed, because I was facing a floor to ceiling, wall to wall window with a view of the D.C. skyline and the Washington Monument. What really made it nice was that the beds were placed against the opposite wall so that while sitting up in bed, morning and evening, you can enjoy the spectacular view. The decor was very classy as well, a sedate gray and neutral tone predominates. There was a coffee maker and small fridge, very convenient. I did stay on the Executive Level, as the rooms were a bit bigger, so I am not sure if all rooms are as nicely laid out as the one I had. The Executive Level also includes a free continental breakfast on weekdays.
The hotel lobby has beautiful architectural details, and a Starbucks just around the corner from the front desk was a plus. The 14k restaurant and bar were both really nice. I heard from a friend of mine who lives in D.C. that the bar is a favorite meeting place for local government workers, and I can see why: nicely laid out, big, comfortable bar chairs. I ate at the restaurant one night and had a very good meal, no complaints. Be aware of the fee structure for the room. The price varies greatly from night to night, weekends being less expensive that weeknights. When I made my reservation through the hotel website, the price quoted was $179 per night, which is a very good rate for a nice hotel in this city. But the actual bill showed the first night as $129, the next as $169 and the last night as $274 per night, so they are averaging the cost of the stay obviously, when they quote you a price. My roommate got stuck in D.C. with a cancelled flight due to bad weather and she ended up booking an extra night at the exorbitant rate of $374 for that night. Also worth noting is that the WiFi costs $12 per day, and there is a charge of 50 cents per minute if you wish to use the computers in the hotel's business center.
To summarize: this is a great downtown D.C. hotel in a fantastic location! You can walk to the White House, the Smithsonian and the Convention Center. The Metro stop is nearby. I would recommend this hotel for business travel and for anyone seeking a central location while seeing the sights in D.C. You are right in the middle of everything, but the downside is that you are likely to hear sirens on 14th and K St. night and day. I loved the beds, very comfortable and conducive to sleep when the street noise is not too loud.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank Travelswithlabs

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (342)
  • Arabic first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Long Beach, California
Reviewed December 18, 2013 via mobile

Here on mix if business and leisure. Great lication for walking and transportation. Good discovery is the Circulator bus that takes you to Union Station or Georgetown.
Food here is wonderful and kudos to 2 great bar servers Tia and Laurie. A young gentleman whose name I didn't get also was right on.
As elegant tho cozy as hotel is, the renovation could use insulating the guestroom windows. Otherwise lovely.

Stayed December 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank dshepard562
Nicole G, Manager at Hamilton Crowne Plaza Hotel, responded to this review, December 23, 2013
Dear dshepard562, We are pleased to know you had a wonderful recent stay with us and we appreciate your kind review. Our team members take pride in being at the service of our guests during all interactions and we have shared your comments with our Food & Beverage team. The next time you are in the DC area, we would be happy to have you back as our guest. Nicole, Rooms Director, Hamilton Crowne Plaza, Washington, DC.
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed December 16, 2013

The hotel staff were very friendly and helpful, and made me feel like a valued guest throughout my 3-night stay. The location is prime, with proximity to the Metro. Room appointments and decor added to my enjoyable stay.

Room Tip: My room overlooking the square was loud at night, with outdoor activity in the city. However, the h...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed December 16, 2013 via mobile

Lived the restaurant 14k. Delicious food and great service. One of the best restaurants we ate at the entire week. The Wi-Fi was terrible. Barely got a signal. However the room was gorgeous and bed very comfortable. The location is close to everything and a great location. Definitely will stay at again.

1 Thank Robbie M
New Orleans, Louisiana
Reviewed December 16, 2013

Recently stayed here for 2 weeks for training and the only positive I really have to say is that the decor in my room was nice. Room faced McPherson park where a lot of homeless slept at night. It is extremely noisy (woke up in the middle of the night on several occassions), hotel charges for internet ($13 per day per device), which is ridiculous considering all other hotels offer complimentary wireless internet. After speaking with the front desk and informing them that I was under the impression when booking that it came with complimentary wireless internet, they gave me an internet coupon code to enter but the internet was still extremely dissappointing. Internet cut in and out THROUGHOUT my time using it so I stopped and used my cell phone to do all my research and checked mail. Laundry cost a fortune (which I expected) that I decided to take it to a laundromat approximately a 10 minute walk away. I would recommend the Hilton Garden Inn approximately 1 block away If you want to stay in a nice hotel with more ammenities, such as, complimentary breakfast, complimentary wireless internet, coin operated laundry available on site, and close proximity to the metro station (literally located right across from McPherson Metro Station!)

• Stayed December 2013, traveled on business
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Hamilton Crowne Plaza Hotel, responded to this review, January 1, 2014
Dear 03KH,

Thank you for staying with us and taking the time to express your thoughts and concerns. Our goal is to ensure that all our clients leave satisfied and we try our best to fulfill all our guest requests. Please accept my sincere apology for the shortcomings you have experienced and if our hotel fell below your expectations in many aspects. Thank you for bringing this into our attention as the feedback we receive from our guests like you, enables us to target problem areas and take the necessary actions to improve our guest services.

Krysllin G.
Case Manager
IHGCare
New York
Reviewed December 16, 2013

We stayed one night at the Hamilton Crowne Plaza on a recent weekend trip to DC. It was a great hotel for our needs. Since we were attending a wedding, we did not explore the area much.

Pros:
- very comfy bed
- good shower
- room was a great temperature, and with windows you can open
- card-required for elevator to rooms felt extra secure
- very polite and friendly staff at desk
- room felt up-to-date and clean
- nice TV
- no noise complaints/issues
- Starbucks shop off the lobby made it very easy to get quick and good quality coffee in morning.
- Lots of nearby sandwich and lunch spots.
- Speedy check in/check out.

Cons:
- Parking is tricky. Either pay for overnight in garage lot on other side of block ($27) or street parking at meter or pay for valet.
- No view from our room - all we saw was building next door, so had to keep blinds drawn for privacy the entire time.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends
Dear hotelgirl111,Thank you for sharing how much you enjoyed your recent stay with us. When in the DC area again it would be an honor to be at your service once again. Nicole, Rooms Director, Hamilton Crowne Plaza, Washington, DC.
Zurich, Switzerland
Reviewed December 12, 2013

What a seldom delight... windows one can open (a bit) in the US. And downtown Washington is so dull the street noise is very limited.
Beautiful hotel at excellent Location. Has a great character. Very friendly staff... in raw quantities.

Bing downside is paid Internet. Just stop that nonsense. Live up to your Standard.

Breakfast is very exspensive. Probably also because of many staff. Good alternative: the inhouse Starbucks.

If the Hamilton would offer free Internet, it would be my Washington adress.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled solo
Nicole G, Guest Relations Manager at Hamilton Crowne Plaza Hotel, responded to this review, December 16, 2013
Dear Sjier - We very much appreciate your review and are very happy that you were able enjoy a bit of fresh air with our windows. We are also pleased to let you know that during your next trip to the Washington, DC area would be a wonderful time to join our free loyalty program IHG Rewards prior because that would allow you to enjoy complimnetary WiFi at over 4600 IHG Properties around the world. At your Service, Nicole, Director of Rooms, Hamilton Crowne Plaza