“Clean, Great Location and Professional Staff”

Hamilton Crowne Plaza Hotel
Ranked #59 of 140 Hotels in Washington DC
New York City, New York
“Clean, Great Location and Professional Staff”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 8, 2013

I will keep this simple:
Great room, great rate, great location. Staff is really very kind, efficient and polite. I travel extensively and I wish I could have this hotel with me everywhere.

If I had to find a negative: the internet. For three days using two devices, my internet bill was almost $80! For INTERNET! Not the worst thing to happen but a serious disappointment.

Room Tip: The 14th Floor is Executive Level. Try to book there. Quiet, great view. Great service. And see if y...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled solo
Nicole G, Director of Rooms at Hamilton Crowne Plaza Hotel, responded to this review, December 9, 2013
Greetings Nykenny -
We appreciate the review and we apologize that we were not able to provide you with a 5 star experience. We are pleased to let you know that your next trip will be perfect time for you to join our free loyalty program, IHG Rewards, because that will allow you to enjoy complimentary WiFi at over 4600 IHG properties around the world. We look forward to serving you on your next trip to the Washington, DC area. Nicole G., Director of Rooms, Hamilton Crowne Plaza.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (322)
  • Arabic first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Metro Manila, Philippines
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 7, 2013 via mobile

Well located and reasonably priced business hotel in the downtown DC area not far from the White House. The breakfast was good and the staff and service quality was well above average. Very good choice for business travelers.

Stayed December 2013, traveled on business
Greetings MakatiJoe -
Thank you for letting the TripAdvisor community know how you enjoyed your stay. We look forward to being at your service for your next visit to the Washington, DC area. Nicole G., Director of Rooms, Hamilton Crowne Plaza
Minneapolis, Minnesota
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 5, 2013

This was my first time staying at the Hamilton and oh what a pleasant surprise it was. Very clean, very classy, awesome restaurant! Front desk was extremely helpful and recognized my Priority Club status (Platinum) and was upgraded to a top floor corner suite which had amazing views of the park across the street and even the Washington monument (I will try to remember to add pictures later). I had a nice living room with a sectional couch, big LED tv, fridge, even a built-in bookshelf which really made it feel more like an apartment than a hotel. Bedroom was amazing with a very comfy bed and they even left these crimes to help me sleep. One was a facial cream (and I think it really helped), a foot crime to help relax my tired feet, and a calming/relaxing spray that made me feel like I was in a spa!

Room service was also a pleasant treat since it came from the awesome hotel restaurant. It arrived about 20 min after I ordered, everything was hot and we'll put together.

The hotel is situated very conveniently on the corner of 14th and K street which is really close to a ton of touristy kinds of places as well as places to eat. Starbucks is also downstairs which you can just bill to your room!!!

No pool/spa but an a very good workout room with plenty of treadmills and bikes and even some free weights and a modern "universal" machine. I'll probably start staying here more often when I'm DC given the classy style yet reasonable rates and location.

Room Tip: If you can land a corner suite you will be very happy
Dear WindyCityFinest -
Thank you for the wonderful review regarding your recent stay with us. We strive to give impeccable service during every interaction and it fabulous to know we achieved this during your stay. We look forward to being at your service for your next visit to the Washington, DC area.
Nicole G., Director of Rooms, Hamilton Crowne Plaza
Trenton, New Jersey
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 5, 2013

With the amount of travel I do for work, I never get to relax at Hotels. That all changed with my stay at the Hamilton. I'm only a Basic member with their rewards program but they made me feel like a Platinum. I, especially want to thank Andre, Louis and Veronica for all the assistance they provided from arranging tours of the capital and Washington Monument to great spots for dinner to City landmarks.The staff alone make staying at this hotel a must. While the food is average and no free wifi, I couldn't have asked for a better stay on vacation for a change.

• Stayed December 2013
Dear Samantha B - We would like to thank you for your 5 star review. Our team is dedicated to creating wonderful guest experiences and it amazing when our team members are specifically named for all they do. We look forward to serving you again the next time you find yourself in the Washington, DC area. Nicole G - Director of Rooms, Hamilton Crowne Plaza, Washington, DC.
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 26, 2013

We stayed for 2 nights this November
Recently refurbished hotel in great location in downtown Washington DC.
Great tourist location for sightseeing.
Room was well furnished with 2 very comfortable beds.
Only small downside is that being in the centre of DC you do get a bit of traffic noise with the odd police or fire siren.
The reception team were extremely helpful and assisted us on finding our way around the City.
Food in the restaurant was good and breakfasts adequate for our needs.
Bar is very popular with locals in the evening which makes for a great atmosphere.
Would thoroughly recommend the hotel.

Room Tip: To avoid traffic noise ask for room to rear of hotel.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Samdog223
Joseph M, Rooms Management at Hamilton Crowne Plaza Hotel, responded to this review, November 29, 2013
Dear Samdog223,

Thank you so much for sharing the details of your recent stay with us. It's wonderful to read that you enjoyed so much about your stay. We certainly hope that you'll return to stay with us again soon and that we can do our best to earn that all important 5th star from you.

Chardon, Ohio
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 25, 2013

I stayed at the Hamilton Crowne Plaza while attending a conference at the Washington Convention Center and found it to be the perfect choice. The building itself (on the National Register of Historic Places) and the rooms are beautiful, the staff extraordinarily helpful and the restaurant, 14K, is excellent. The location is very convenient to the Convention Center, the White House as well as many casual and fine dining options. All in all a real treat. The only downside was what the hotel described as the "upgraded" television system, which seemed a downgrade to us after looking at the former selections. No PBS, for example, but plenty of Fox News. Also the picture on the large flat screen television set kept reverting to pixels or whatever you call it when the picture starts appearing as cubes or squares. Get the TV working better and the hotel will get 5 stars from me.

1 Thank Ruth M
Dear Ruth M,

We appreciate you sharing your expereiences during your recent stay with us. We are certainly very happy that you enjoyed everything about your stay from the service to the historic aspects and the location itself. We will certainly be taking your review into consideration as we revamp our current TV provider and channel line up for the new year as our number one goal is to ensure every guest has a great 5 star stay.

Thank you again and we look forward to providing you with that 5 star stay when you return.

Louisiana
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 25, 2013

I stayed at the Hamilton for three nights in Nov. 2013 for business. It was only after my trip that I realized Crowne Plaza is in the same family as Holiday Inn and is just one step above a Holiday Inn. The quality of the hotel now makes sense to me. If you book the room knowing it is only slightly nicer than a Holiday Inn, you will not be disappointed.

First, I'll start with the positives. The staff are wonderful- friendly, attentive, and knowledgeable. And the location is pretty good. It's about 1-2 blocks from a metro and a nice walk to the White House and National Mall. The rooms are clean and have updated furniture. The bathrooms are clean and well-maintained.

Now, for the not so great. The internet is pathetically slow. Forget about using Skype or Facetime with any consistency. I lost conenctivity to my email and the internet regularly while on the hotel's network. There is no free internet anywhere in the hotel (including the lobby) unless you are an elite member. I called ahead and the person I spoke with on the telephone told me I was an elite member. When I checked-in, the front desk person didn't want to give me the coupon for the free internet, but after some back and forth, he did provide the coupon.

The following aspects of my room were below average: the towels were small and scratchy; there were no robes in the hotel room; the TV was inoperable; and the heating/AC system did not seem to be working. I was travelling on business and barely in the hotel room anyway, so these were minor annoyances/inconveniences in the big scheme of things.

My room was across the street from a park and was very noisy at all hours of the night. Sirens, people, taxicabs, etc. were heard through the windows.

Finally, I must comment on the hotel restaurant. I ate at the restaurant for breakfast one morning. I opted against the $23/person buffet and instead ordered two scrambled eggs, at a cost of $14. The eggs were rubbery, tasteless, and a bright yellow that reminded me of the powdered eggs sold in school cafeterias. I was shocked that I paid $14 for what could hardly be considered food.

Room Tip: Don't stay in a park view room- it's very noisy.
2 Thank maggsfriend
Dear maggsfriend ,

We would like to first off thank you for providing us with such a detailed and candid review of your recent stay. Even though we certainly do not like our guests having the experience that you encountered, we do like to know about it so that we can make improvements on the product and service we offer for our guests.

We definitely recognize that in this day and age, our guests need access to the internet for a variety of business and pleasure needs and we are currently in the process of getting ready to upgrade our wireless network to increase the bandwidth and connectivity issues. And yes, currently IHG does only offer complimentary internet to it's Gold and Platinum members but that does change next year and for the confusion, we're happy to see that we were able to provide you with complimentary internet. In regards to the noise, over the recent years we have seen a steady incline in the social activities in the area around the hotel as new businesses and restaurants open in the area and that has lead to an increase in noise. With that said, we are quite happy to say that right at this moment we are in the process of installing new energy efficient windows that will assist in dampening the noise from the surrounding areas. Now we would love to say that we have plans in motion for your other comments but you can be assured that they will be shared with the appropriate departments for review and considerations.

Thank you again for the time you've taken and we do hope that you'll return to the Hamilton Crowne Plaza to experience the exceptional service and product that we prefer to deliver to our guests.