“Meetings in DC”

Ranked #59 of 140 Hotels in Washington DC
Brisbane
“Meetings in DC”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 4, 2013

I stayed for 4 days for the second time and was pleased that I had come again to this hotel. The hotel has a pleasant character and not a typical of modern 4 star hotels. Whilst I did not check out the history the hotel is a renovation od an old hotel and has a charm not seen in modern hotels. The room was very comfortable, great bed, nicely furnished and with the normal facilities one would expect. The wi-Fi was a bit patchy in the room and much better in the foyer or restaurant and bar. The staff were particularly helpful and the hotel very well located for my meetings at the World Bank - $7 cab ride and not too far to walk either. The restaurant was very good both for breakfast and dinner.

Room Tip: My room did not have a good outlook this time - ask for overlooking the square opposite.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Joseph M, Assistant Front Office Manager at Hamilton Crowne Plaza Hotel, responded to this review, March 6, 2013
Dear aquarianmark,

You review is greatly appreciated aquarianmark. That charm that you mention is something that we most certainly love about our hotel, being a member of Historic Hotels of America is definitely a distinguished feature that we are very proud of. We strive for our hotel to be the place where history inspires modern elegance.

Of course you can have the nicest hotel in the world and it wouldn't mean anything if you didn't have a staff that truly cares and has a passion to serve and we're very happy to see that you found our staff so helpful.

We all look forward to being at your service once again when you return to Washington DC.

Assistant Front Office Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (322)
  • Arabic first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Peoria, Illinois
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 1, 2013 via mobile

This hotel benefited from a renovation about a year ago and rooms and decor are fresh and inviting. Like many city hotels, rooms differ widely. All are suitable for an individual business traveler some would be tight for a couple or family. If what is outside the window is important ask for a room overlooking K Street or 14th Street. I've stayed at the hotel from time to time since 2003 and never encountered an issue of substance. Rooms are quiet. Great location for this area of K Street and I Street. Only a 4 block walk from the White House and a couple more blocks to the Mall. If planning a meeting at the hotel, check out the proposed meeting room. Some can feel a bit closed in. Al Fresco dining at the hotel restaurant, 1425 K is a delight in Spring, Summer or Fall.

• Stayed February 2013
Dear WARSAWRUN,

Thank you very much for reviewing your recent stay. We always love to hear that a guest has stayed with us multiple times because it lets us know we are doing our job and it gives us more of an opportunity to build a relationship with that guest.

We hope to continue to be your lodging of choice as your travels bring you to Washington DC.

washington DC
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 26, 2013

I stayed here as a base to explore DC during the christmas season, and found it to have classic ambiance in a convenient location with a very elegant and comfortable room...the hotel has been recently renovated, but the beautiful lobby with its arched ceiling was wisely left intact, making an impressive entrance...the room was elegantly appointed and very comfortable...and the location downtown was convenient for walking and taking the metro...while other hotels had artificial decorations, the hamilton sported real greens, natural touch!...also, the front desk staff was helpful, especially miss veronica (thanks!)...surprised at some of the problems others had here, as i experienced none, and i found the quirks of an old hotel to be charming!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
Joseph M, Assistant Front Office Manager at Hamilton Crowne Plaza Hotel, responded to this review, February 28, 2013
Dear vistacruiser69,

Thank you so much for taking the time to review your stay over the holiday season. We are very pleased that you found our newly renovated rooms to be both elegant and comfortable. We did our best to keep the classic features that make our hotel historic but also to incorporate the conveniences of today for our guests.

Thank you also for the kind words about Veronica, she is definitively a great member of our team and we will share your thanks with her. We hope that you do not wait until next Christmas to come visit us again.

Arkansas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 26, 2013

Stayed at this hotel while the wife was attending a workshop. Small but nice lobby with the desk on the left and bar/restaurant on the right. Check-in very fast, friendly and efficient. Elevators were small (8 people max) but nice to have four of them. Room was very tastefully furnished. On the small side but plenty big enough for our needs. Bathroom nice with lots of towels; great shower. TV was good but pay-per-view movie had lines all across the screen. Intended to call desk for a fix but got involved in the movie (Flight) and forgot to call so the lines could not have been too bad. Worst thing about this hotel is the outrageous cost for Internet and valet parking. Had a nice complimentary continental breakfast (a true continental with fresh pastries, cut up fruit (rasberries so ripe they exploded in your mouth) that was set up in a small dining area just near the elevators just down the hall from our 11th floor room. Not sure if they set this up on all floors. Overall a very nice experience, a bit pricey but about normal for DC. Close to Metro, wsalking distance to the National Mall, downtown attractions, even Dupont Circle (but I love to walk, it may be too far for some). Very courteous and efficient staff.

Room Tip: Ask for a 12th floor room; no street noise and a complimentary continental breakfast
Dear rgrippo,

Well it looks like we were able to provide you with an almost perfect stay. We hope that you will back back in DC again and that we will have another try to give you that perfect and memorable stay that we strive for every guest to experience.

Arlington
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 26, 2013

I stayed at this hotel for a 1 night stay, over all a nice hotel in a great location. However I got the 1 bedroom suite so that I can have some privacy space when I had a few guest come over, but turns out the "bedroom" is not enclosed but rather just another space continued from the living space with NO door in between. Secondly I valet parked my vehicle downstairs and when checking out they had charged me for 2 vehicles (that’s almost $40 each). When I approached the front desk to dispute they told me one of my guests had parked and that it was a legitimate charge. Immediately my first concern was what would make them think its okay to charge me $40.00 with out asking me and my second thought was I know my guest would have never charged my room without asking me. So to further inquire I told them to describe to me the 2nd vehicle that was charged because I wanted to know if infact was one of my guest, this way I would know who it is (I have a Mercedes, guest 1 BMW, Guest 2 Cadillac). After 5 mins they came back to me and said sorry, there was no 2nd car to your room and it was a mistake...... That is NOT acceptable. Had I not questioned the 2nd valet (which I almost didn’t) I would have been charged extra $40 for no reason. Mistakes happen I understand, but the fact they didn’t even try and call me for approving such a charge, and at my first question they told me it was my guest and that I was wrong, is just unacceptable and unprofessional. Nice hotel but just pay attention to your charges when checking out and I give staff 4 out of 10.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Mo W
Dear Mo W,

Well we must say that your review makes us worry a bit. I would greatly appreciate the opportunity to speak with you to gather a few more details about your stay so that I can ensure no other guest experiences the same thing that you have. I can be reached via email at Joseph.Meuse@interstatehotels.com.

I look forward to speaking with you further about this matter.

Goteborg, Sweden
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 26, 2013

We (2+2) stayed in a executive room with 2 queen beds on the 14th floor. Not a huge room but perfect for our purpose. Got a really good deal so can not complain about the price

The good:
-nicely decorated rooms
-efficient and helpful front desk staff
-comfortable beds and enough pillows
-got a room on 14th floor, so we were not disturbed by any noise from the streets
-free bottles of water and a nespresso-type-of-machine for coffe and tea
-ordered delicious cobb sallad from room-service for a resonable price
-great breakfast buffe on weekends in the restaurant (seemed to be popular among locals)
-walking distance to Smithsonians and White House

The bad
-outrageous priced wi-fi - PER DEVICE! Come on, it is 2013!!! This is why you will not get a five from me!!
-lifts underdimensioned for the hotel, too few and too slow
-cleaning not very efficient, bathrobes still on floor, all amenities not being replenished
-only a thin blanket with linen provided, expected something more comfortable (it is winter)
-in the best area for museums etc but not for a nice stroll on town (better be closer to Georgetown then)

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Dear Astrid72,

Thank you very much for taking the time to review your recent stay. We greatly appreciate the feedback that you have provided and our management team values all of the guest input we receive.

We do hope that when you are back in DC for another perfect getaway weekend that you will be staying with us again.

Middlebury, Vermont
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 25, 2013

For what they charge (yes, I know DC is pricey) I expected better quality. Yes - hotel is refurbished national landmark with all the accompanying ambience and quirks (like very small elevator cars). Staff is professional, friendly, accomodating. But $12/day for internet is ridiculous. Mattress was not comfortable and room was cold until we pulled down the inner black out shades, which meant no natural light at all. Bedding seemed "cold" - fluffy comforters would have been nicer. Toilet was very sluggish - needed to call for plunger (a hassle, but they quickly brought it). Room with two double beds wasn't much bigger than the beds. However, location is great - short walk to metro (on blue and orange), reasonable walk to the Mall, White House, etc and some great and classic restaurants nearby. Good closet space. On 5th floor did not experience the 14th St noise that others report.

Room Tip: Do not worry about room across from elevator - convenient, and we never heard any noise.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Joseph M, Assistant Front Office Manager at Hamilton Crowne Plaza Hotel, responded to this review, February 27, 2013
Dear Vt_folks,

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with the constructive feedback on your recent stay. We value all feedback we receive and many changes that have been made come directly from reviews such as yours.

We do hope that you will choose to stay with us again if your travels bring you back down to Washington DC.