“1920's landmark luxury in the heart of downtown Washington DC”

Hamilton Hotel Washington DC
Ranked #62 of 142 Hotels in Washington DC
Reviewed February 26, 2013

Stayed at this hotel while the wife was attending a workshop. Small but nice lobby with the desk on the left and bar/restaurant on the right. Check-in very fast, friendly and efficient. Elevators were small (8 people max) but nice to have four of them. Room was very tastefully furnished. On the small side but plenty big enough for our needs. Bathroom nice with lots of towels; great shower. TV was good but pay-per-view movie had lines all across the screen. Intended to call desk for a fix but got involved in the movie (Flight) and forgot to call so the lines could not have been too bad. Worst thing about this hotel is the outrageous cost for Internet and valet parking. Had a nice complimentary continental breakfast (a true continental with fresh pastries, cut up fruit (rasberries so ripe they exploded in your mouth) that was set up in a small dining area just near the elevators just down the hall from our 11th floor room. Not sure if they set this up on all floors. Overall a very nice experience, a bit pricey but about normal for DC. Close to Metro, wsalking distance to the National Mall, downtown attractions, even Dupont Circle (but I love to walk, it may be too far for some). Very courteous and efficient staff.

Room Tip: Ask for a 12th floor room; no street noise and a complimentary continental breakfast
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business
Joseph M, Assistant Front Office Manager at Hamilton Hotel Washington DC, responded to this reviewResponded February 28, 2013

Dear rgrippo,

Well it looks like we were able to provide you with an almost perfect stay. We hope that you will back back in DC again and that we will have another try to give you that perfect and memorable stay that we strive for every guest to experience.

There are newer reviews for Hamilton Hotel Washington DC

Reviewed February 26, 2013

I stayed at this hotel for a 1 night stay, over all a nice hotel in a great location. However I got the 1 bedroom suite so that I can have some privacy space when I had a few guest come over, but turns out the "bedroom" is not enclosed but rather just another space continued from the living space with NO door in between. Secondly I valet parked my vehicle downstairs and when checking out they had charged me for 2 vehicles (that’s almost $40 each). When I approached the front desk to dispute they told me one of my guests had parked and that it was a legitimate charge. Immediately my first concern was what would make them think its okay to charge me $40.00 with out asking me and my second thought was I know my guest would have never charged my room without asking me. So to further inquire I told them to describe to me the 2nd vehicle that was charged because I wanted to know if infact was one of my guest, this way I would know who it is (I have a Mercedes, guest 1 BMW, Guest 2 Cadillac). After 5 mins they came back to me and said sorry, there was no 2nd car to your room and it was a mistake...... That is NOT acceptable. Had I not questioned the 2nd valet (which I almost didn’t) I would have been charged extra $40 for no reason. Mistakes happen I understand, but the fact they didn’t even try and call me for approving such a charge, and at my first question they told me it was my guest and that I was wrong, is just unacceptable and unprofessional. Nice hotel but just pay attention to your charges when checking out and I give staff 4 out of 10.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Mo W

Dear Mo W,

Well we must say that your review makes us worry a bit. I would greatly appreciate the opportunity to speak with you to gather a few more details about your stay so that I can ensure no other guest experiences the same thing that you have. I can be reached via email at Joseph.Meuse@interstatehotels.com.

I look forward to speaking with you further about this matter.

Reviewed February 26, 2013

We (2+2) stayed in a executive room with 2 queen beds on the 14th floor. Not a huge room but perfect for our purpose. Got a really good deal so can not complain about the price

The good:
-nicely decorated rooms
-efficient and helpful front desk staff
-comfortable beds and enough pillows
-got a room on 14th floor, so we were not disturbed by any noise from the streets
-free bottles of water and a nespresso-type-of-machine for coffe and tea
-ordered delicious cobb sallad from room-service for a resonable price
-great breakfast buffe on weekends in the restaurant (seemed to be popular among locals)
-walking distance to Smithsonians and White House

The bad
-outrageous priced wi-fi - PER DEVICE! Come on, it is 2013!!! This is why you will not get a five from me!!
-lifts underdimensioned for the hotel, too few and too slow
-cleaning not very efficient, bathrobes still on floor, all amenities not being replenished
-only a thin blanket with linen provided, expected something more comfortable (it is winter)
-in the best area for museums etc but not for a nice stroll on town (better be closer to Georgetown then)

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family

Dear Astrid72,

Thank you very much for taking the time to review your recent stay. We greatly appreciate the feedback that you have provided and our management team values all of the guest input we receive.

We do hope that when you are back in DC for another perfect getaway weekend that you will be staying with us again.

Reviewed February 25, 2013

For what they charge (yes, I know DC is pricey) I expected better quality. Yes - hotel is refurbished national landmark with all the accompanying ambience and quirks (like very small elevator cars). Staff is professional, friendly, accomodating. But $12/day for internet is ridiculous. Mattress was not comfortable and room was cold until we pulled down the inner black out shades, which meant no natural light at all. Bedding seemed "cold" - fluffy comforters would have been nicer. Toilet was very sluggish - needed to call for plunger (a hassle, but they quickly brought it). Room with two double beds wasn't much bigger than the beds. However, location is great - short walk to metro (on blue and orange), reasonable walk to the Mall, White House, etc and some great and classic restaurants nearby. Good closet space. On 5th floor did not experience the 14th St noise that others report.

Room Tip: Do not worry about room across from elevator - convenient, and we never heard any noise.
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business
Joseph M, Assistant Front Office Manager at Hamilton Hotel Washington DC, responded to this reviewResponded February 27, 2013

Dear Vt_folks,

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with the constructive feedback on your recent stay. We value all feedback we receive and many changes that have been made come directly from reviews such as yours.

We do hope that you will choose to stay with us again if your travels bring you back down to Washington DC.

Reviewed February 25, 2013

I spent one night here for a conference and am very glad it wasn't longer. The staff overall was great and the restaurant was good but there was so much noise. The first room I had was right *behind* the elevator and thus you heard the elevator every time it went by. I requested to be moved, which I promptly was. The second room had a problem with the lock and it took almost 1/2 hour for someone to get me in the room. Then, all night long, about 3-4 times an hour, there was a loud noise, like someone dropped something. It came from behind the shower wall, so I don't know if it was the water pipes or what, but it was loud. I slept awfully, never mind the sirens.

Dear Bluebnt,

Our apologies about this awful stay that you recently had. I would greatly appreciate the opportunity to speak with you further in regards to your experience. I can be reached at 202-682-0111 or by email at Joseph.Meuse@interstatehotels.com.

I look forward to speaking with you.

Reviewed February 25, 2013

My husband & I have stayed more than 5 times at this property. From the start with speaking with the hotel operator to check-in was wonderful. The staff is friendly & helpful. When we arrived the front desk always upgrade us to a junior suites- these suites are in the corner, but very spacious, clean & the beds are comfortable. The bar and rooms service are great as well, however I must mention that the morning wait staff are not friendly at all-- except for one young African American (pregnant) lady, she was very attentive & had great customer service. The food was good, especially the brunch. The bartenders in the evening are friendly. Starbucks is a plus to have in the lobby. We stay at this location EVERYTHING is nearby.We will return soon.

Room Tip: Junior Suites -- Corner on the 12th floor are great
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear Lisa w,

Well it is just wonderful to read so many great things about a guest's stay. Your praises about Nia will definitely be shared with her leadership team and other staff members as an example of what our guests expect.

We are quite sure that we will see you again very soon and I'm sure we'll have that corner suite waiting for you.

Reviewed February 25, 2013

This was one of the nicest hotels I've stayed in! The hotel has retained its historic charm while feeling like a brand new hotel (remodeled bathrooms, new bedding, new furnishings, etc). The room was immaculately clean and very comfortable while still feeling luxurious. Despite being on a busy road, the hotel was also fairly quiet and peaceful. It was also just one block from the McPherson Square metro station, so you don't even need to take a cab to get to and from the airport or other destinations across the city. Great stay!

Dear Allie T,

The six months that we spent under renovation were all worth it just to read reviews from guests that love our new rooms. You definitely hit a great point about location with our property, one block from McPherson Square Metro that comes right from Reagan National Airport and just a short walk from the White House and the National Monument areas.

Please make sure to come see us again when you are back in Washington DC.