“High class, but too expensive”

Hamilton Crowne Plaza Hotel
Ranked #60 of 140 Hotels in Washington DC
Stockholm, Sweden
“High class, but too expensive”
Reviewed November 5, 2012

Have been staying over a weekend on a DC visit. I liked the hotel. It is truly comfortable, even luxury, but too expensive in my opinion.
The breakfast is not included in the standard rate and parking is totally overpriced.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
Joseph M, Assistant Front Office Manager at Hamilton Crowne Plaza Hotel, responded to this review, November 6, 2012
Hello FBert,

We greatly appreciate the time you've taken to review your recent stay and we are delighted that you found your stay to be high class and luxurious. We also appreciate the feedback in regards to the price of parking and take guest concerns very highly when reevaluating our guest experiences.

During your next trip to DC we hope to see you again.

Assistant Front Office Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (330)
  • Arabic first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 29, 2012

I stayed here for 2 nights in September and unfortunately it has turned out to be the most stressful stay at a hotel for me ever. But more on that later. What is the hotel like? Its worse points are that it is located right next to what appears to be the main homeless square in Washington DC. And so I don’t advise walking through the park during the day and certainly not at night. If you are in a hurry this hotel is not for you. Average wait time for the lifts is about 15 minutes. The lifts are small and used by both guests and staff so expect to either share with a lot of other people or a big cleaning trolley. I rarely managed to get on first lift coming down as staying on a mid floor which by the time the lift arrived was already full. The staff at the hotel bar are pleasant but insufficiently staffed so again expect a wait time. It is a typical modern hotel with little personality but the rooms are comfortable and do not lack typical amenities. The breakfast was disappointing although you can sit in seats overlooking the homeless square. If given a choice I would opt for a Marriott as a better value option with superior standards of care and hospitality. But as for the stress? Well I arrived home to see an additional $700 charged to my account. It turns out that if you don’t complain about faulty TVs in the room (I did complain – just not in the right way apparently) you are guilty for the cost of fixing the faulty TV. So beware - my advice would be to stay away from this hotel but if you do stay make sure you complain about faults in your room loud and clearly. A bit like this review.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank StephanieFB
Sholeh K, General Manager at Hamilton Crowne Plaza Hotel, responded to this review, November 8, 2012
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you very much for choosing the Hamilton Crowne Plaza Hotel Washington, DC, and also the opportunity to hear your feedback on your experience.

I regret that our team and our facility did not get your complete vote in service and accommodations. I have shared your comments with our management team. I am fully confident that our leaders are committed to take your comments in a constructive, mentoring manner and continue working with our hotel associates to improve services where shortcomings occurred.

I would very much appreciate it if you call me directly to discuss and review the matter of the broken TV charges, thank you.

At Your Service,
Sholeh K. Kia
Brooklyn
Reviewed October 28, 2012

the title says it all. we had to book at the last minute and ended up with a room with a non-existent view. this isn't really an issue for us, since we spent little time in the room anyway, but i'm assuming many rooms share this office building/parking garage view. as with most hotels in dc in the tourist-friendly downtown area, it is annoyingly expensive for a modestly-sized room with no frills. well, it had frills, but they were entirely of the decorative kind. typical of american hotels, wifi comes at a cost. they didn't even have wifi in the LOBBY, which many american hotels at least have. they have an in-house starbucks, which, again, has no wifi. fortunately, dc is a very wired town, so chock-a-block with coffee shops and lunch places with free wifi. their cable set-up was pretty minimal (no msnbc - had to watch dreadful cnn over more dreadful fnc) and not hd. and a bottle of water is $5 (does anyone actually pay for this?).

there really was nothing really wrong with the hotel. i debated giving this a 3-rating. it's very nice-looking and conveniently-located, but is it worth the cost? no surprise that the hilton 2 blocks down was completely and totally booked forever and ever, because it's about $75 cheaper a night.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Joseph M, Assistant Front Office Manager at Hamilton Crowne Plaza Hotel, responded to this review, November 3, 2012
Hello miffyninja,

Thank you for taking the time to provide such a detailed review of your recent trip to our hotel. Your comments about the views are quite true, us as well as most downtown hotels unfortunately lack the expansive views due to regulations that cap the height of buildings in most areas of DC at 160 feet. We also appreciate your feedback about the internet costs and cable channel selection. We are constantly reevaluating everything we do based on guests needs and our direct market competition.

We do hope that you'll come back to stay with us again when your travels return you to Washington DC.

Beaverton, Oregon
Reviewed October 26, 2012

The Hamilton is a nice hotel in a great Washington DC location. The place has recently been redone and the rooms and the common areas are nicely appointed. The staff was helpful.

We had cocktails in the 14K bar and the servers were great.

The beds are extremely comfortable.

It is nice having a Starbucks in the hotel.

A couple of drawbacks: First: $225 per night and no wi-fi? Seriously? The Hamilton charges $12.95 per device per day for wi-fi. That is very frustrating. They somehow even block the data feature for my smart phone. Second: the desk in the room is very small - not really suitable for doing much.

Despite these drawbacks I would stay at the Hamilton again.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Hello jducko,

Thank you so much for taking the time to review your recent stay with us. You are completely correct in your observation that we have just completed an extensive renovation of the guest rooms and common areas and we are quite pleased that everyone is liking them.

In regards to your drawbacks, it is true that we charge for internet but we are very competitive within our market but we are always taking into consideration guest concerns as we continue to grow and exceed our guests expectations. And as for blocking your date connection, I assure you that we would never do anything along those lines, however being a building built in a time when building were built to withstand the ages reception may be a bit weak in some interior locations.

We do look forward to the opportunity in serving you once again when you return to Washington DC.

phoenix
Reviewed October 22, 2012

I was not familiar with the area and I was concerned of the distance to the tourist sites. When we got there we were delighted! white house is 2 blocks away very easy walk. the Metro stop is one block away (McPherson) very convenient to travel around the city. I took a taxi to Union station and it was just 10 min away ($11)
The restaurant is delicious and not overpriced I recommend the happy hour :)

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Hello Gaby J,

We all know how daunting the task can be of finding someone where to stay in a city that you have not previously visited. So we are quite lucky in being so centrally located in the heart of DC.

Thanks for taking the time to review our property and we hope to see you again when visiting DC.

Adelaide, Australia
Reviewed October 22, 2012

My partner and I stayed at the Hamilton Crowne Plaza for 5 nights in October 2012.

The Hamilton Crowne Plaza is overpriced, and disappointing in terms of value and quality.

I booked a five night stay in an Executive Room (on the 14th Floor) with full breakfast for two guests each day. Despite the fact that I was a Platinum Priority club member, there was no attempt to give me a good room. I was given a room on the 14th Floor (Executive Level) but the room was very small and looked straight on to an office building, where I could see the workers through their windows (and they can see me as well).
The door of our room does not seem to close properly, there was a gap around its edges so that light from the corridor can be seen and noise from the corridor can be heard in our room. On the Saturday night, there was a lot of noise, shouting and loud conversation in the corridor on the 14th Floor at about 3 or 4 am.. causing significant disruption to our sleep.

The Executive room rate was supposed to include "Drinks and snacks" from 5-7pm on weekdays. (This was clearly stated in the information book located within the room.) When we enquired about this at the front desk, we were told that the "Executive Club Room is closed for renovations, but we could have the complimentary drinks etc at the Front Bar instead...just show the bar staff our room swipe card keys"
However, when we later showed up at the bar on our first day, we were told 3 different stories. The concierge said that "there is no such thing as complimentary drinks for Executive guests"; the bar staff said "Executive guests do NOT get free drinks but will only get one free appertiser if they bought some drinks at the bar" and the restaurant staff said "Executive Room guests do not get any complimentary stuff at all, everthing has to be paid for"

Needless to say, we were so confused, flabbergasted and disappointed with all this that we did not bother to pursue this for the rest of our 5 day stay.

Another disappointment is that the hotel charges fees for internet usage at the rate of $12.95 per device per day. In this day and age, many hotels provide free wi-fi. Even despite paying top dollar for an Executive Room (and non-existent free drinks etc) it is extremely disappointing that the hotel still wants to charge more for internet access.

I think better service and value could be obtained elsewhere.
I will definitely not be coming back to the Hamilton Crowne Plaza.

Room Tip: Do not go there. There are better value and service elsewhere in Washington DC. Rooms are very smal...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
3 Thank FrequentTravelAussie
Good Day FrequentTravelAussie,

While reading your review I must honestly say that it has brought knots to my stomach, an experience such as this is something that we never want for our guests and especially not our valued Priority Club Platinum guests.

Please accept our sincerest apologies for everything and if you could please reach out to me via email at Joseph.Meuse@interstatehotels.com or via phone at 202.682.0111 at your earliest convenience I would greatly appreciate the opportunity to speak with you about your stay.

Thank you for bringing these concerns to our attention and I look forward to speaking with you.

Reviewed October 21, 2012 via mobile

I booked this hotel through Priceline and was slightly concerned with a few of the previously made comments regarding the remodel. These concerns proved not to be a concern during my stay. The staff were very nice and hospitable. I arrived early in the day, much before my scheduled check in and they wee able to accommodate me and check me in early. The room as comfortable and clean. Close to metro and attractions. Would have no reservations about staying here again.

• Stayed October 2012
Hello DrERCM,

We greatly appreciate the time you've taken to let us know about your recent stay. You appear to have had the stay that we always strive to provide for each and everyone of our guests. Thank you so much and we look forward to having you as our guest again when you return.