“Disppointing stay, poor value for money, poor service”

Hamilton Hotel Washington DC
Ranked #62 of 142 Hotels in Washington DC
Reviewed October 22, 2012

My partner and I stayed at the Hamilton Crowne Plaza for 5 nights in October 2012.

The Hamilton Crowne Plaza is overpriced, and disappointing in terms of value and quality.

I booked a five night stay in an Executive Room (on the 14th Floor) with full breakfast for two guests each day. Despite the fact that I was a Platinum Priority club member, there was no attempt to give me a good room. I was given a room on the 14th Floor (Executive Level) but the room was very small and looked straight on to an office building, where I could see the workers through their windows (and they can see me as well).
The door of our room does not seem to close properly, there was a gap around its edges so that light from the corridor can be seen and noise from the corridor can be heard in our room. On the Saturday night, there was a lot of noise, shouting and loud conversation in the corridor on the 14th Floor at about 3 or 4 am.. causing significant disruption to our sleep.

The Executive room rate was supposed to include "Drinks and snacks" from 5-7pm on weekdays. (This was clearly stated in the information book located within the room.) When we enquired about this at the front desk, we were told that the "Executive Club Room is closed for renovations, but we could have the complimentary drinks etc at the Front Bar instead...just show the bar staff our room swipe card keys"
However, when we later showed up at the bar on our first day, we were told 3 different stories. The concierge said that "there is no such thing as complimentary drinks for Executive guests"; the bar staff said "Executive guests do NOT get free drinks but will only get one free appertiser if they bought some drinks at the bar" and the restaurant staff said "Executive Room guests do not get any complimentary stuff at all, everthing has to be paid for"

Needless to say, we were so confused, flabbergasted and disappointed with all this that we did not bother to pursue this for the rest of our 5 day stay.

Another disappointment is that the hotel charges fees for internet usage at the rate of $12.95 per device per day. In this day and age, many hotels provide free wi-fi. Even despite paying top dollar for an Executive Room (and non-existent free drinks etc) it is extremely disappointing that the hotel still wants to charge more for internet access.

I think better service and value could be obtained elsewhere.
I will definitely not be coming back to the Hamilton Crowne Plaza.

Room Tip: Do not go there. There are better value and service elsewhere in Washington DC. Rooms are very smal...
3  Thank FrequentTravelAussie
Joseph M, Assistant Front Office Manager at Hamilton Hotel Washington DC, responded to this reviewResponded November 6, 2012

Good Day FrequentTravelAussie,

While reading your review I must honestly say that it has brought knots to my stomach, an experience such as this is something that we never want for our guests and especially not our valued Priority Club Platinum guests.

Please accept our sincerest apologies for everything and if you could please reach out to me via email at Joseph.Meuse@interstatehotels.com or via phone at 202.682.0111 at your earliest convenience I would greatly appreciate the opportunity to speak with you about your stay.

Thank you for bringing these concerns to our attention and I look forward to speaking with you.

There are newer reviews for Hamilton Hotel Washington DC

Reviewed October 21, 2012 via mobile

I booked this hotel through Priceline and was slightly concerned with a few of the previously made comments regarding the remodel. These concerns proved not to be a concern during my stay. The staff were very nice and hospitable. I arrived early in the day, much before my scheduled check in and they wee able to accommodate me and check me in early. The room as comfortable and clean. Close to metro and attractions. Would have no reservations about staying here again.

• Stayed: October 2012
Joseph M, Assistant Front Office Manager at Hamilton Hotel Washington DC, responded to this reviewResponded November 3, 2012

Hello DrERCM,

We greatly appreciate the time you've taken to let us know about your recent stay. You appear to have had the stay that we always strive to provide for each and everyone of our guests. Thank you so much and we look forward to having you as our guest again when you return.

Reviewed October 20, 2012

This is a nice hotel but we were overcharged because we asked for a club level room, and were told on our arrival that they no longer offered breakfast and drinks in the club level anymore. There was no additional offer of free breakfast or drinks in the restaurant on the ground floor either, or reduction on the rate. Also, I still find it poor that these hotel chains make patrons pay over $12 for 24h of wifi internet, when many are offering this for free. The lack of a bar fridge and additional goodies was also noticeable. The recent update to the rooms was good but the sewerage smell in the main entrance foyer on occasions was rather off putting, as was the presence of room service trays with old food for many hours in the corridors.

3  Thank Drjamieb

Good Day Drjamieb,

First we would like to thank you for choosing to stay with us on your recent trip to the States. And secondly we would like to apologize that the correct information was not conveyed to you during your stay. Our lounge was temporarily closed due to renovations and during that time our executive level guests were invited to to our restaurant 14K for breakfast but apparently we failed to communicate that to you in a proper manner and we are quite sorry for that. As our renovations have come to a close, our Executive Lounge has reopened and all of our rooms are now equipped with an in-room refrigerator.

I would appreciate the opportunity to discuss this a bit more with you if you wouldn't mind sending me an email at Joseph.Meuse@interstatehotels.com. I look forward to speaking with you and hope that you'll choose to stay with us again on your next trip DC.

Reviewed October 18, 2012

Attended meeting at convention center, walked about 5 blocks each day to meeting. Nice area. Walked few blocks to visit White House, National Mall, museums. Plenty of restaurants and shopping nearby. Recent total renovation. Old hotel, so rooms are small but adequate. Staff very friendly and helpful.

1  Thank John R

Hello John R,

Thanks for taking the time to review your recent stay with us. As you said we are very centrally located in the downtown area with just a short walk to most of the DC attractions. We are also very close to the McPhereson Square Metro that services the National Mall, Smithsonian and Capitol areas as well as picking guests up directly at Reagan National Airport making it quite convenient to get in and out of the city while avoiding traffic. For your next trip I might recommend looking into staying on our 12th or 14th floor Executive rooms that provide the extra space that some guest prefer to have.

We all look forward to having you once again as our guest when your travels bring you back to Washington DC.

Reviewed October 17, 2012

First time to Washington and what a great city! Hotel was in an area close to everything - convention centre, Capital, White House, etc etc. very tastefully done reno of rooms and lobby. Front desk agent Veron was very helpful as was the Concierge Anna. The bed, desk, lighting and everything else in my room was perfect. Internet was 12.95 per night which seemed odd in 2012. Should be included at every hotel as far as i am concerned. Lighting in bathroom was cruumy but room wad so nice and clean that i didn't really care. Would stay here again for sure. And add Washington to your list of beautiful US cities to visit!

Room Tip: Stay clear of rooms facing the front of the hotel as could be noisy.

Hello StyleInToronto,

We are all quite pleased to read that you enjoyed your first and hopefully of many trips to Washington DC and of course that you liked our newly renovated guest rooms. Your praises of our front desk and concierge staff will be shared with everyone on our team because we know that it truly is the staff that makes a hotel great.

Your feedback in regards to the internet prices is also appreciated, currently we are very competitive within our market in regards to price but we are also always reevaluating everything we do in looking for ways to improve our guest service.

We look forward to having you as our guest once again when you return to our Nation's Capital.

Reviewed October 15, 2012

Staff were very welcoming and helpful, the room was clean, of a good size and the bed was comfortable. Having said that you had to be a bit of a contortionist in the bathroom which although reasonably sized was very poorly designed and in need of modernisation. I finally found the mounted loo roll holder but would have needed to dislocate my shoulder to use it!

A little tip for this and many hotels - the LED lights coming from appliances such as the IPod player and TV is ridiculous, turn the main room lights off and you could still land an aircraft with the light generated from these appliances!

Good location and easy reach of everywhere I needed to go on business and to my favourite bar in DC Old Ebbitts so I would definitely stay there again for a night or two.

Hello CGBL2008,

Thank you so much for taking the time to review your recent stay with us. We are quite pleased that you had a delightful stay with us and we will definitely look into the brightness level of the in-room amenities and perhaps we can have the LCD dimmed a bit for the comfort of our guests.

Reviewed October 15, 2012

This was one of the worst hotel experiences I have had to tolerate. The lobby smells terrible. The rooms are incredibly small. The room was not made up until after 5:30. Despite the signs on the even numbered floors that vending is available on the odd numbered floors there is no vending machines in the entire building. Additionally, there is no convenience store in the hotel. To get basic convenience items that you need or a soft drink you have to walk a block to the closest CVS. Oh and did I mention, the road noise is the loudest I have ever experienced at a hotel.

Hello David D,

First off let us apologize for your recent experience at our property. Is is true that while we were under a complete renovation that our vending machines were removed and are in the process of being replaced. For our guests convenience we do offer room service who can provide a variety of soft drinks, juices and water at a flat rate of $2.00 with no service fee and or delivery charge. And always on hand on the front desk we have a variety of commonly forgotten toiletry items available at no charge.

You also mentioned that your room was quite small, we do offer several different room categories with various sizes. For guest who prefer to stretch out or like having the extra room that generally isn't found in a city hotel we recommend for guest to book a room on the Executive Level as they offer the most square footage of our guests rooms outside of our suites.

Please, if you wouldn't mind I would love the opportunity to speak with you further in regards to your stay and I can be reached at 202-682-0111. or Joseph.Meuse@interstatehotels.com.