New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

and 1 more site!
Tabard Inn
Ranked #107 of 141 Hotels in Washington DC
Virginia
“a little too uncared for”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2012

Tabard Inn is a landmark, and it is fun walking through the labyrinth of halls with old and dusty furniture. The restaurant is very popular and usually booked for dinner and brunch. The lunch of pumpkin soup and beet salad was well done. We stayed in Room 54 which is large with a seating area in the front of the building. The bathroom was fun, but needed better lighting. The bed was comfortable enough with nice bedding. The building is quaintly creaky and voices carried through the walls. Breakfast that came with the room was pretty good. The lounge is very nice with a real fireplace, but not enough lighting for reading. Some of the staff were not service oriented and minimally friendly. Street parking is pretty much unavailable, unless you are very lucky. Valet parking is an extra $25/night. A clearer fire escape plan would be appreciated since the building is very old. It is feeling a little tired, so the Tabard Inn could use a good cleaning, better lighting, and a bit of updating...all of which would contribute to its charming ambiance, because it is a cool and fun place in the heart of DC.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 stars
2 Thank VirginiaLily

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (69)
Germany
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2012

It lived up to the reputation. A very nice old hotel. The room was small and for 2 it could have been a bit clostrophobic .
TheI had a shared bathroom but I think that there was only me using it.
Tjhe rooms could be a bit nisy noisy but what do you expect from an old hotel.

Room Tip: Ideal if your looking for a hotel with no TV's
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
Waynesboro, Virginia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2012

This hotel has wonderful history and definitely has or had tremendous potential. Having been in the hotel business for years, however, your first impression is very important and the staff all should go through training in how to treat guests. Both the front desk (if you can find it) and the restaurant staff except for the hostesses that were helping us were simply not trained very well or just didn't get it. The noise level at dinner and at breakfast destroy any ambiance that is definitely there but has been lost when your wait staff is clearing tables and just throwing the dishes in black tubs.

Cost is relative but this is a reasonable place to stay in DC because of the proximity to key locations and Dupont Circle has its own charm apart from the Mall and the ongoing security madness that has occurred since 9/11. Parking could be a real challenge and don't expect any help from the staff at the Tabard, but the Topaz staff were outstanding and we are thankful for that.

I've read most of the reviews and I don't think "charming" is the word I would use - I've been to many B&B's throughout the United States and this one needs an overhaul from management. Quirky/ different is wonderful, but when all is said and reviewed, you come back to service with a smile and this is not a happy staff - and that goes back to management with a capital M.

Dinner was well presented and was good. Breakfast for a guest is okay - nothing out of the ordinary but adequate. However, at one point, I really wanted to just stand and ask everyone to take a deep breath and lower their voice one decimal so that everyone in the room could hear one another, or use something on the walls to absorb the sound.

Bathroom is a funky experience, and we had warm water, but we were thankful to be in room 5 and not have to negotiate the steps. Lighting is definitely limited and having coffee available in your room would be a "nice touch" or something for the early morning risers in the lounge area.

Overall, some very simple cosmetic work could be done and you would truly have a quaint, charming B&B which would be very unique to Washington.

Room Tip: Check out the rooms and definitely do not share a bathroom. Be prepared for very steep stairs if yo...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 stars
2 Thank freelance_11
London
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2012

We stayed here with the whole family, and it is a very nice and much more personal experience of DC than usual. It is quaint, old-fashioned, and a throw-back to another time. I came here first in 2007, and it feels nothing has changed since then - which is a good thing.

The one thing we're unimpressed by is the breakfast service though...

Room Tip: Room 7 can be noisy on weekends.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Andreas B
Hong Kong, China
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2012

Great old-fashioned Inn at Dupont Circle, Washington, DC. Modest rooms decorated eclectically with antiques and curious paraphernalia. Amazing lounge and great restaurant. Don't expect a TV, it doesn't fit in the ambiance. Be prepared instead to relax beside the fireplace and read. My only negative comment is the lighting. The lighting could be improved in many areas of the inn, especially in the bathroom. But that must be part of the ambiance and mood of this unique place.

Room Tip: Well I don't know as I've only seen one. I believe that there are about 60.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Cary, NC
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 2, 2012

My college roommates and I enjoyed a reunion here, a great setting in a suite of adjoining rooms on the third floor. The inn has charm and character, very convenient to Dupont Circle metro and restaurants. Two of our three rooms were quite spacious, one very small. One must adjust, however, to the dim reading light and shower curtain that must be positioned just so around the tub. The continental breakfast was more than adequate with several choices prepared to order. I would love to have had Sunday brunch at the inn as it appears to have an excellent reputation and draws quite a crowd. A television will be placed in your room (no cable stations) if you request it with your reservation. While I was initially directed by staff to a parking lot that was closed on the week-ends and a neighboring hotel that was not accommodating Tabard Inn guests, another staff member later resolved my parking issue. All in all, a memorable stay at a reasonable cost.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Boston, Massachusetts
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2012

We were staying next door to the Tabard and decided to check them out for breakfast. I will say right now that I'm a sucker for any establishment that smokes their own salmon! I had porridge, a homemade bagel with smoked salmon and it was fantastic! My wife had a delicious mushroom omelete, homefries and homemade bread (toast) and that was also delicous. We enjoyed our meal so much that the very same evening we had a friend meet us at our hotel and went back to the Tabard for dinner. I will have to admit that the patio service we had while waiting for our table was horrible. She forgot us and I had to chase her down. We waited over an hour for our appetizers to show up, which they never did, then they tried to bring them to our dinner table (I quickly nixed that). BUT...dinner was one of the best I've had and it (almost) made up for the annoying pre-dinner experience. Our waitress was so very sweet who wonderfully guided us through the menu. I had spied the duck listed and with her encouragement ordered it. It was one of the best duck dishes I've ever had! My friend went for the goat ragu and house-made turnip green pappardelle. I never would I have imagine that goat would have such an amazing flavor and the house-made pasta was absolutely fantastic. I recommend this place for anyone staying in DC as it is no more than a few subway stops away and easily walkable from the Dupont Circle or Farragut North red line stops.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple