“Clean, but far away from the tourist stuff”

The Westin Washington, D.C. City Center
Ranked #88 of 140 Hotels in Washington DC
Tyler, Texas
“Clean, but far away from the tourist stuff”
Reviewed August 4, 2014

Very clean hotel. Safe neighborhood. Starbucks in the lobby was extremely convenient. The bar downstairs was very nice and one of the waitresses was extremely friendly...wish I could remember her name. All of the staff was pleasant and warm, except Tiffany, one of the concierge. She seemed very annoyed and put out the two times I had questions (one was about a nighttime tour that had to be booked through the hotel and the other question was about the Trolley) She complained about having to be working late and complained about fellow staff members. My main issue with this hotel was the distance from everything. We were there to see the typical tourist attractions, and this hotel is not near any of them. The nearest Metro stop (which is an excellent subway system) is a good three blocks away. I should have looked at the map more closely and really examined the distances...you live, you learn. Like someone above me has posted, many of the rooms overlook the lobby. It was strange. Overall, a clean, pleasant Westin. Loved that bed!

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank JordanMP

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (174)
  • Korean first
Cape Town Central, South Africa
Reviewed August 4, 2014

We were unfortunately only here for one night... wish i could have stayed longer! Loved everything about this hotel, from the large rooms, to the huge comfy bed, to the extremely helpful friendly staff! Location was excellent, so close to everything! Only wished they had free in room wifi... but they do in the lobby, so not to bad! Would definitely stay here again when visiting DC!

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 3, 2014

This is a decent hotel - it is a Westin. But many of the rooms face into the lobby area, which is an area that can get very rowdy (it's a fun bar!), so it can be very loud in the rooms. The walls are also paper thin. I could hear the people next to me sneeze.

Room Tip: Get on a top floor away in a room that doesn't face the lobby.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled on business
Kelly S, Director of Rooms at The Westin Washington, D.C. City Center, responded to this review, August 5, 2014
Good afternoon,

Thank you for taking time to share your experience! I am pleased to hear you enjoyed your stay and our newly transformed restaurant, Fringe Tree. We review and do our best to accommodate all guests' requests. Please note in your reservation if you are coming to rest and relax and would like a quiet room. As all Westin's our goal is to have you leave here feeling better than you did when you arrived.

Stay well,
Seattle, Washington
Reviewed July 28, 2014

This would be my first bad review here on trip advisor.

I will be staying at this property in August, and because of some issue with my original card, I was contacted by email to ask for new form of payments (which is reasonable).

So I called the hotel to provide that. I was contacted by "SIOBHAN DELGADO" again saying " Unfortunately this new card has also declined. Please provide a valid, chargeable credit card by 5:00pm (EST) tomorrow, July 29, or this reservation will be cancelled."

Seriously, so far, I have never encountered any hotel contacting me with this kind of tone. Most hotel will also not give this kinda "give me the money now or don't bother to come" attitude.

I am not having a good experience before even arriving to the hotel. Good job.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with friends
2 Thank Jefferson L
Kelly S, Director of Rooms at The Westin Washington, D.C. City Center, responded to this review, August 1, 2014
Good day,
I am sorry to hear you are frustrated prior to your arrival. We do have several rate schedules that are pre-paid in advance for a reduced rate. If you should require more information or further assistance please contact me directly at the hotel.
Be well,
Baltimore, Maryland
Reviewed July 27, 2014

Went with our family of four for an overnight stay this weekend. Opted for the hotel valet out of sheer convenience and laziness. Check in was a breeze - lobby seemed spacious with plenty of seating, bar area and a device charging station that also had seating. We were situated in a 6th floor room facing the city - excellent view and so quiet. Room was very clean and no defects were noted. Bathroom was nice, especially the dual head shower. Room also had a fridge and plenty of outlets. Did not opt for purchasing the WIFI, as we could get a 4G signal in the room, The hotel is within walking distance to a myriad of restaurants, shops, etc.and not far from the Smithsonian Museums. Had breakfast at the hotel restaurant (on the Mezzanine level). Food was very good, but the service was somewhat uneven. Not uneven enough to warrant decreasing the rating. Definitely will stay again.

Room Tip: Choose city view. 6th floor had a great view and was very quiet
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank nefferdf
Reviewed July 26, 2014

All the hotel staff was very very helpful, since i arrived to the hotel Eric (at the valet parking) helped me to receive my car and helped me to carry my luggage. Ta'maya and Fa'ye at the front desk They were Always smiling and Kelly Sites with all the staff made me feel like home. Very good experience.

• Stayed July 2014
New York City, New York
Reviewed July 23, 2014

I booked my stay on June 2, 2014 for July 19, 2014 way over a months’ time. I noticed that when I arrived to the hotel there was a sorority convention and also the lobby was full with children, I guess a children's trip as well. Ok not a problem I'm here to enjoy my stay at the westin. When checking in, the front desk staff was very nice. I proceeded to my room and when I arrived it wasn't the room that I booked. I booked the Atrium Suite, I was having a few friends come and visit while in DC for the night so I needed a larger room and one of my visitors is handicap as well. And would require the space to move around.

The room they had me in was a double bed room all the way down on the other side of the hotel w/ NO VIEW!!! My view was an large A/C unit that was very loud!!! I called the front desk to explain that I was given the wrong room. The manger Mr. Faye got on the phone and told me that there was nothing that he could do. The hotel is completely booked. I informed him that I'll down to speak with him. Once arriving at the front desk he was very RUDE!!! Cutting me off when trying to talk and telling me that the hotel is booked! And that's basically it! I told him that I booked my room over a month ago and how can you possible give a reserved room away? He then rolls his eyes like I'm irritating him with my questions. I explained that it's my birthday and I would be having a few friends to visit me while in DC and one of the people is handicap. He then tells me that I'm not ALLOWED TO HAVE A PARTY IN THE HOTEL ROOM!
I explained that I'm not having a party and no loud music will be played. Just 7 friends coming to see me while staying here. I'm from out of town and I wouldn't mind seeing my friends while visiting Washington, DC. Just as if I was getting married and having a beauty team coming to service me. They would come and leave within a few hrs.

I will be the only guest staying in this room and that's it. Again the manager was RUDE!!! He Looks at me like I'm crazy and tells me that there is nothing he can do. No rooms are available and I'll have to take these room if I would like to stay here for the night. So basically I have no other option! I have my friends coming to visit me and idk what other hotel to go too. So I have no choice! I go back to this room that he decided to stick me in! And it's extremely warm, I call the front desk twice and was informed them no air is coming out if the vents. And they told me that they would send someone to look at the air conditioner. And guess what???? NO ONE NEVER CAME!!! That room was like a sauna! No air at all! It was so uncomfortable sleeping in that room! I asked for an iPod docket as well because my suite that I had booked had one it in! But of course they couldn't accommodate my require for an iPod docket or air.

I suggest that you choice another hotel!!! That manager is the worst! And as a business owner myself. When I'm in the wrong I accommodate my clients and make sure they have outstanding service.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled solo
3 Thank ZsaZsa24
Kelly S, Director of Rooms at The Westin Washington, D.C. City Center, responded to this review, July 24, 2014
Good day,
Thank you for being our guest. I am sorry to hear about the challenges you encountered during your stay. I would like the opportunity to speak with you to ensure we are able to look into the situation and address it accordingly. Please contact the hotel and ask to speak with me so I can renew your experience.
Be well,