“Lovely clean hotel with welcoming staff”

The Westin Washington, D.C. City Center
Ranked #90 of 141 Hotels in Washington DC
Sydney Australia
“Lovely clean hotel with welcoming staff”
Reviewed June 14, 2014

We just stayed for four nights at this hotel and I was very happy with the stay. The staff all round were very professional, rooms clean and bed comfortable. The lobby and design of hotel is stylish and the location was good. Nice quiet hotel at night so sleep quality was good. We would stay there again if in the DC area

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (197)
  • Korean first
Reviewed June 14, 2014

I stayed here for three nights. It is well located for easy access to downtown DC.

I had a room on the first floor and, other than not being able to find a set of stairs so that I had to take the lift all the time, it was perfectly comfortable. The room was larger than I was expecting, which was a pleasant surprise. The two things I really value in a business hotel — a safe and an ironing board / iron — were there.

Taxi from Dulles was about $70.

COLUMBUS
Reviewed June 12, 2014

Im an SPG Platinum member, and I was here a few months ago during the renovations and had a bad experience because of all the construction noise. Decided to come back now that the reno is done.

Pros: nicely renovated. beautiful lobby. nicely update rooms. great gym. friendly valets and front desk staff. and my room smelled great - I dont know what they're doing to achieve that aroma, but it put a smile on my face.

Cons: I stopped smiling when I saw my room hadnt been thoroughly cleaned. Food crumbs on the carpet, empty bottles next to the chair, bottle caps under the desk, and long dark black hairs in the bathtub. My room was joined to the room next door with one of those pass-thru double doors, which might as well have been a screen door - I could hear my neighbors tv, his phone calls and his snoring all night long. So loud & clear, it's as if we were sharing a room. Also, at around 9/10pm you can hear a lot of noise from the lobby's bar/restaurant via the atrium, which runs the entire height of the building. And even tho I was confirmed for 4pm late check-out, my room key stopped working promptly at 11am. And on the day of check-out, it took nearly 45 mins to get my car from the valet. The valet that costs $47 a day. The attendant said they only had one driver - this was at 4pm, a "rush hour" of check-ins - you think they could plan a little better for that steep a charge.

Room Tip: Dont get one that has a door into the adjoining room. Or one on a low level, unless you like a lot...
Green Features: I did participate in the "Make a Green Choice" program, as I always do. It's nice to see companies offering these types of enviro-friendly options.
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
Kelly S, Director of Rooms at The Westin Washington, D.C. City Center, responded to this review, June 18, 2014
Good day "2nd Time Wasn't the Charm,"
Thank you for sharing your experience. We value your loyalty to our hotel and I apologize for falling short of your expectations. I assure you I will follow up regarding your room cleanliness and our valet staffing levels. Please connect with you when your journey brings you back to Washington DC so I can ensure a renewing experience.
Be well,
Knoxville, Tennessee
Reviewed June 11, 2014

I stayed at the Westin City Center for three days in June 2014. Apart from my room not being ready when I arrived at check-in time (a minor annoyance), the stay was lovely. I was privileged to be assigned to a suite because of my role in planning the conference that I was attending, so I had it good. Oddly, however, the suites face on the lobby and the lobby door has an audio feature that, were I not a "city girl" who screens out white noise, might have been my undoing. But it only bothered me when I was awake and in my room (i.e., not for long).

The ballroom floors are set up in a bizarre, tiered way, and both the lowest function floor and the mezzanine function rooms are not connected to the other function-room floors by stairs or an escalator. This means that conference organizers should plan sufficient "passing time" in between sessions. Sadly, we did not do that.

But the renovations make the hotel very modern and attractive, and I like the apples and free bottled water in the room. And the gym is small, but nice. Overall, a pleasant place to stay. Note that it is a five-block walk to the Metro, so for some, that may make it inaccessible by Metro.

Room Tip: Suite face on the lobby, which can be noisy.
Green Features: I would like to see in-room recycling. But that's true of most hotels I stay at . . . .
2 Thank Heminway
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Reviewed June 10, 2014

This was my first trip to Washington. The hotel is recently renovated and it looks beautiful. Check-in went smoothly. When I noticed I was being put on the 3rd floor I asked if they could do better. My room was then changed to the top floor. Thank you Glenn. My next encounter was with Tiffany, the concierge, who had a bubbling personality - perfect for a concierge. I told her what I liked and she made several suggestions on the sites I should see. I did purchase a tour from her in which she needed to see my identification. Since I already had it out from the check-in it was easy to give to Tiffany.

I spent the day sightseeing and did not return to the hotel until 11:30PM. I was exhausted. But when I walked in my room I could see a food tray that wasn't there when I left. It was a cake with 'Happy Birthday' on it and a card from Tiffany! What a way to end the day. It made a great day go over the top!

Although she was not the first one to look at my identification; Tiffany took the time to notice it was my birthday. And it's that attention to detail that makes Tiffany a valuable asset to the Westin Washington. Thank you Tiffany!!

Green Features: This Westin has a living wall in it's lobby!! Live plants appearing to grow on the wall. A great touch.
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled solo
1 Thank 3687996
Stokesdale, NC
Reviewed June 9, 2014

Stayed here this past weekend. The place is immaculate, the staff friendly, and location perfect!
From the time we arrived until we checked out...and left our bags and car in their care we felt like we were the only guest being taken care of....Royal treatment.

1 Thank tch469
Rockville, Maryland
Reviewed June 9, 2014

We stayed for a weekend and, after a leak in the original room, were offered a larger room for the inconvenience. The staff were responsive and friendly and the hotel is located near some good food places and coffee shops. It is within walking distance to all the attractions and offers a comfortable bed at the end of the day. We ask for a room facing outwards as the majority face into the lobby which is rather fish-bowly to me. Only down point really is the charge for wifi in the room. It's time hotels got over this! Overall, a nice pick for the weekend and I would stay again.

Room Tip: Ask for a room away from the elevators.
1 Thank kirsty8888