“Lovely, but quirky, hotel for a small conference” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Westin Washington, D.C. City Center

The Westin Washington, D.C. City Center
Ranked #86 of 140 Hotels in Washington DC
Knoxville, Tennessee
“Lovely, but quirky, hotel for a small conference”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 11, 2014

I stayed at the Westin City Center for three days in June 2014. Apart from my room not being ready when I arrived at check-in time (a minor annoyance), the stay was lovely. I was privileged to be assigned to a suite because of my role in planning the conference that I was attending, so I had it good. Oddly, however, the suites face on the lobby and the lobby door has an audio feature that, were I not a "city girl" who screens out white noise, might have been my undoing. But it only bothered me when I was awake and in my room (i.e., not for long).

The ballroom floors are set up in a bizarre, tiered way, and both the lowest function floor and the mezzanine function rooms are not connected to the other function-room floors by stairs or an escalator. This means that conference organizers should plan sufficient "passing time" in between sessions. Sadly, we did not do that.

But the renovations make the hotel very modern and attractive, and I like the apples and free bottled water in the room. And the gym is small, but nice. Overall, a pleasant place to stay. Note that it is a five-block walk to the Metro, so for some, that may make it inaccessible by Metro.

Room Tip: Suite face on the lobby, which can be noisy.
Green Features: I would like to see in-room recycling. But that's true of most hotels I stay at . . . .
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank Heminway

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (171)
  • Korean first
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 10, 2014

This was my first trip to Washington. The hotel is recently renovated and it looks beautiful. Check-in went smoothly. When I noticed I was being put on the 3rd floor I asked if they could do better. My room was then changed to the top floor. Thank you Glenn. My next encounter was with Tiffany, the concierge, who had a bubbling personality - perfect for a concierge. I told her what I liked and she made several suggestions on the sites I should see. I did purchase a tour from her in which she needed to see my identification. Since I already had it out from the check-in it was easy to give to Tiffany.

I spent the day sightseeing and did not return to the hotel until 11:30PM. I was exhausted. But when I walked in my room I could see a food tray that wasn't there when I left. It was a cake with 'Happy Birthday' on it and a card from Tiffany! What a way to end the day. It made a great day go over the top!

Although she was not the first one to look at my identification; Tiffany took the time to notice it was my birthday. And it's that attention to detail that makes Tiffany a valuable asset to the Westin Washington. Thank you Tiffany!!

Green Features: This Westin has a living wall in it's lobby!! Live plants appearing to grow on the wall. A great touch.
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled solo
1 Thank 3687996
Stokesdale, NC
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 9, 2014

Stayed here this past weekend. The place is immaculate, the staff friendly, and location perfect!
From the time we arrived until we checked out...and left our bags and car in their care we felt like we were the only guest being taken care of....Royal treatment.

1 Thank tch469
Rockville, Maryland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 9, 2014

We stayed for a weekend and, after a leak in the original room, were offered a larger room for the inconvenience. The staff were responsive and friendly and the hotel is located near some good food places and coffee shops. It is within walking distance to all the attractions and offers a comfortable bed at the end of the day. We ask for a room facing outwards as the majority face into the lobby which is rather fish-bowly to me. Only down point really is the charge for wifi in the room. It's time hotels got over this! Overall, a nice pick for the weekend and I would stay again.

Room Tip: Ask for a room away from the elevators.
1 Thank kirsty8888
New York City, New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 9, 2014

I stayed here on a Saturday night when I was in town for a wedding. It's definitely a business hotel, so it was pretty quiet and calm on the weekend which was nice, and it allowed us to get a very reasonable rate. It's a 12-15 minute walk to the White House, and sits on Thomas Circle which is quite lovely in its own right (a few historic buildings to look at). I was impressed by the little extras, namely two free water bottles, a robe (or 2?) to wear, and Starbucks coffee in the room. The bed was huge and supremely comfortable. I loved that checkout was noon, and that the front desk was very accommodating when we needed to check out even later than that (granted, that's another perk of staying a business hotel on a weekend - can't say what it would be like on a weekday). Yes, it looks like a typical chain hotel, so it's not recommended for someone who is looking for a boutique experience. My only complaint was that some rooms face the central atrium and don't have any exterior windows, so you have to choose between having the curtain open (towards the atrium) for light, or closing it for privacy (with no light). I had to go around the room and turn on each lamp separately because I wanted to close the curtain but still have light (technology in the rooms is a bit on the older side in that regard - no central button for all lights, outlets were under the desk and hard to reach, no fancy alarm clock or docking system).

Room Tip: If you care about having natural light, request a room that faces the exterior instead of the atrium...
Pittsboro, North Carolina, United States
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 7, 2014

Stayed at this hotel during a conference at the Convention Center (several blocks away). This is a really nice part of DC, and much more livable and safe than even 3 or 4 years ago. Short distance to many major attractions and the concierge is very helpful. Starbucks on-site.
The room was very nice, with a large sitting area and very modern facilities, including a bathrobe and high-end toiletries. The mini-bar refrigerator had room for outside purchases, and there was also a safe in the closet. Nice 'view' of the interior courtyard and very quiet.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled on business
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Boston, MA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 5, 2014

Really enjoyed our stay at this Westin! The room was very nice and comfortable. It was a tad small for two people but everything was very nice. The staff were very nice. The hotel is designed as a courtyard with the windows looking out into the interior lobby.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with family