“Great Central Location within Walking Distance to the White House & Dupont Circle”

The Westin Washington, D.C. City Center
Ranked #89 of 142 Hotels in Washington DC
Reviewed May 12, 2014

When I stay in major cities, I like to be walking distance to everything so there is no need to rent a car. This hotel had it all, and I found a great deal close in during Inauguration. The hotel was packed, but the staff were friendly in spite of being extremely busy. We had a high floor with a view of the church to the north. I lived in DC for 10 years, so I was looking for something between the Inauguration events (close to a METRO station) as well as walking distance to Dupont Circle.

Room Tip: Ask for a high floor facing the north if you want a view.
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple

Reviewed May 10, 2014

This Westin is a Westin in name only.

What I like about Westin in general is its consistency and efficiency - it's a low-variance brand where you know you'll get a certain level of service and quality wherever you go. This property is the first major deviation from that principle I have experienced and falls considerably below expectations.

First, the elevators: they operate too slowly and there aren't enough of them. You have to budget an extra 10 minutes if you are on an upper floor. It sounds trivial, but it turns into a significant frictional cost of time when you stay here for several days.

Second, the finish in the public areas and in the guest rooms is dated and unappealing. Compared to some of the Westin's newer properties (e.g. St. Louis) or even its other DC location (near Georgetown) this feels like a Sheraton left over from the 1970s and rebranded without investment needed to bring it up to par.

Third, the noise levels in the hotel are unacceptable. The walls and doors are thin and the clientele here appears to have a penchant for unusually loud and aggressive sex that is easily audible from most rooms in the building.

Fourth, the service is not as efficient, polished or consistent as it is in other properties I have visited.

On balance, I would not recommend staying here - if you're trying to stick with Starwood, try the real Westin down the road in Georgetown.

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled on business
Reviewed May 10, 2014

Stayed at the Westin Washington Center for 3 nights for a business conference. The hotel is excellent located on walking distance from White House and other must-see locations. Very nice and clean room with great bedding and friendly staff. Only dissatisfaction are the outrageous prices they charge for internet use, should be included in such a hotel. But besides that, great hotel to stay.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled on business
Reviewed May 1, 2014

I've stayed here three times. Good location about a 10minute walk from The White House. Hotel was just renovated which is nice. Not cheap as it costs $250 nightly (parking included). But DC hotels tend to be pricey so it's an ample choice.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled with family
Reviewed April 25, 2014

The hotel is being renovated, including the elevators, but staff (and even the contractors) were all lovely. My room was a little dated in terms of the molding and other fixtures, but they tried hard to update the space. The shower was wonderful. All in all, the staff made this place, which might have been mediocre otherwise. I would recommend this hotel to business travelers, it might not be as much fun for families with young children.

Stayed: April 2014, traveled on business
Reviewed April 25, 2014

Hotel was nice and clean, staff was friendly and helpful. Rooms were very nice and the bedding fit the luxurious Westin standards. However, the hotel was still under construction. Only 2 of the elevators worked and it literally took us 45 minutes to get downstairs on the morning of checkout. It was also a little odd how the rooms faced into the atrium and if other guests had their curtains open, we could see into their rooms and them into ours. We had drinks at the bar one night. My mom commented that the lemon drop was one of the best she had ever had and it was also one of the most expensive she had ever had. $40 for a lemon drop and a draft beer. But we were on vacation, so we were happy to enjoy and relax. Valet was close to $50 a day and internet was around $15. Free internet was available in the lobby but was so slow I gave up on it and just used my phone. Not sure if the charged internet was as slow. In my opinion, hotels should offer free wifi. Although walking distance to the Metro, and a long walk to the white house, museums, and monuments, I was expecting this hotel to be a little closer to things than it was. I might stay here again if the rates were good, but I'd first look for something a little closer.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled with family
Reviewed April 24, 2014

Stayed 3 nights on business. I really wanted to try this Westin because I like the Westin Arlington Gateway in Ballston so much, but I won't come back here. The room has good Westin aspects - bathrobe, comfy bed, neutral decor, those nice green leaf soaps, Complimentary bottled water, in-room coffee with real cream, and a refrigerator. But. The room and bathroom are smallish. My big problem is that it was hard to sleep because I had a 1st floor room on the atrium. I did not mind looking out over the atrium like some other reviewers; my problem was the noise. You can hear the people in the lobby until at least midnight when it finally starts to quiet down. The up side to being on the atrium is that I could pirate the wireless from the lobby and not pay the outrageous $12.95/night connect charge. The remodel is essentially done, but two working elevators were V-E-R-Y slow. At one point another guest and I decided to walk down the stairs, because we had mistakenly gotten off on the Mezzanine, but there were no obvious stairs and we ended up in the service part of the hotel. I was really sort of shocked by the dingy, unpleasant, smelly conditions in this non-guest part of the hotel - it cannot be very pleasant for the staff. I decided to eat in the hotel restaurant my first night, but I went in and walked around a bit, trying to get someone's attention to ask if they had food or table service, and none of the staff made eye contact. I a couple with little kids who had menus, so obviously there was food to be had. Finally I just left and walked 1/2 mile over my fall-back place on 19th St - too bad. With so many hotels in this area there is just nothing compelling about this Westin.

Room Tip: If you want to sleep before midnight, be sure you don't get an atrium room.
  • Stayed: April 2014, traveled on business