“A Great Experience in DC”

Woodley Park Guest House
Ranked #4 of 35 Washington DC B&B and Inns
Reviewed December 2, 2013

Like several of the previous reviewers, I stayed at the Woodley Park Guest House as a more affordable alternative to the conference venues of the Marriott Wardman Park and the Omni. This was my first stay at a Bed and Breakfast, and it was great. Ingrid and her staff were wonderful, and on the third day of my stay, thanks to their sharp observation and thoughtfulness, they gifted me with an act of generosity that significantly enhanced my experience. I enjoyed being able to walk right across the street to the Marriott for conference activities, and right down Connecticut road for a variety of dinner options and the metro stop. I went to the conference with a belly full of delicious breakfast and a smile on my face from meeting good people around the table. I will certainly stay here again when the conference location rotates back around to Washington, DC.

Room Tip: It's worth springing for the rooms that have private baths.
1  Thank DrColby

Reviewed November 29, 2013

We attended a conference right across from this wonderful B&B! The location could not have been better. The staff was simply excellent. They were accommodating, and that owner is an incredibly delightful lady. We felt like we were among friends. Breakfasts were excellent. We enjoyed the organic bread and fresh fruit. Our room was clean. We got coffee/tea and baked goodies throughout the day. We simply could not have had a better experience. This made our trip! They even gave us a departing gift! Wow! Love this place and would absolutely HIGHLY recommend!

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 25, 2013

We attended a conference held at the Marriott Wardman and Omni Sheraton and decided to stay at Woodley Park Guest House instead of the conference hotel. What a great decision! A more-than-just-continental breakfast each morning helped us start out the day right. The fresh fruit in particular was excellent and high quality each morning, and the delicious specialty breads were a treat. Our room was on the second floor, and though the room itself was not large, the bathroom was good size and the room had an attached closet with enough space for 2 people to hang all their work clothing for a 5 day conference stay. The bed was comfortable, and we slept well. Cleaning service was efficient and effective.
I think that walking to the Marriott took less time than messing around with the elevator in a crowded hotel. Having 24/7 tea, as well as afternoon coffee, available was fantastic. More than once in the 5 days, I stopped in to grab a cup of tea rather than paying $3-4 at the hotel lobby shop.
In short, the Woodley Park Guest House is a convenient and excellent option for those traveling to the Woodley Park area, particularly if you are attending events at the Marriott or Omni. While we enjoyed staying there for business this time, the Metro is close enough that we will likely stay there on personal trips in the future.

Reviewed November 20, 2013

I was attending a conference across the street at the Marriott Wardman and wanted something close and convenient. The Woodley Park Guest House was a great find. It's located in a great area with shops and restaurants nearby. It is conveniently located near the Red Metro Line making it easy to get around town. The owners and the staff are wonderful. They make a point of learning your name and getting to know you. Breakfasts always provided interesting discussions as you heard the stories of the many guests, both from the US and abroad. The staff have a great knowledge of things to see and do in DC, places to eat and how to get there. Unlike some of the other more expensive hotels in the area, an excellent continental breakfast is included as well as free wifi throughout the building. Coffee and tea are available throughout the day and each afternoon, a variety of sweets (brownies, cookies, loaves, etc...) are available. One night while I was there the owners had a spontaneous 'cocktail hour' where guests got together in the lobby for a glass of wine or bottle of beer and good conversation. If you are sick of impersonal rooms and want to have a little something more like home, then I strongly recommend the Woodley Park Guest House. I know I will definitely be back the next time I'm in the DC area.

2  Thank PolepoleGirl
Reviewed October 21, 2013

I recently returned from spending 5 nights at the Woodley Park Guest House. Having stayed in many DC hotels I can honestly say this place is definitely a find. The house is in excellent shape, my room was pristine, the staff is amazingly helpful and considerate, the location is practically perfect. The metro red line is just about a block away and there are a number of neighborhood restaurants and stores. Breakfast is billed as continental plus; make that a lot on the plus side with two types of coffee – both excellent – and afternoon goodies as well. My room was small but for one person it was just right. Good closet and drawer space and the lighting was excellent, both natural and by the overhead fixture and two 3-way lamps. I was on the street side but at night it was quiet. There is a street light out front though so if light at night bothers you I suggest a room away from the front. There is no formal living area in the house so the dining room is where people congregate. The (international) guests were all very interesting, from all backgrounds and with all sorts of reasons to be in DC. The owners came to sit with us from time to time and both seemed to love to get to know their guests. The staff is exceedingly helpful and accommodating. Many places were closed while I was there due to the government shut-down but the staff had Plan B suggestions and was more than willing to search the internet to check transportation or arrangements and/or make bookings. Overall, a wonderful experience.

Room Tip: To avoid street light at night choose a room away from the front.
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled solo
2  Thank tripper123
Reviewed October 20, 2013

I was traveling on business for a conference and could have not had better luck than the conference hotel being booked. Courtney, Kelly and Ingrid were absolutely marvelous hosts and the service was exemplary (as was the brownies they left out repeatedly which I devoured with gusto). The rooms were clean, spacious, and cozy. The breakfast was light and delicious, which you shared with guests at the dining table which spurred serendipitous and interest conversation with fellow travelers.

The location was excellent, less than a block away from the Metro and very close to the Washington Zoo. Being somewhat removed from the hustle of the more central and downtown districts provided for a nice respite and it was never too hard to get back into the action when the whim arose.

My only hope is that your stay can emulate mine. Thank you again Woodley for the warm and generous hospitality.

Room Tip: The downstairs room looks drabby at first glance but they are spacious and have a private bathroom.
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Global_Gone
Reviewed October 12, 2013

We selected this Guest House on the basis of the favourable Tripadvisor reviews. When we arrived we noticed with mild amusement the yellow sticker notes on such places as handrails and skirting boards simply saying "paint here". But despite the interior of the House looking slightly more time-worn than it does in the online photos, we were not disappointed with our choice.

There is so much to see in DC, especially for the first time visitor. The Guest House is conveniently situated a minute's walk from the subway, making our exploration of Washington's main attractions easy. It was also just a couple of minutes away from a good choice of restaurants and take-aways for our evening meal (we usually had our lunch in the city center while we were touring around).

Our room was clean and attractive. We were on the uppermost floor under the eaves. I had never occupied a room under the eaves of a house before but found this novel experience to be quaint and charming. The decor is in immaculately good taste. I should say, however, that being situated on the upper floor meant that we had to walk up and down two flights of stairs. There is no lift and we had a couple of large heavy suitcases with us and some smaller hand luggage when we arrived. We managed OK, although if you have even a bit of arthritis in your knees, you might want to request a room on the ground floor.

I don't think our upstairs room was quite as large as those on the lower levels. The room was such that I had to sleep at one particular end of the bed to avoid the possibility of hitting my head against the low sloping ceiling at the other end. In fact, both ends have low sloping ceilings but there is a greater surface area of slope at one end of the bedroom than the other. That meant a greater chance of me, being the taller of us, making unwanted contact with it. My wife got that end and so we managed it well enough. But I'd suggest that if you are quite tall you might want to consider an alternative room.

Sleeping in what felt like a tastefully renovated attic was a novelty, but I think next time I'd request an equally charming ground floor room.

The bed was very comfortable and we slept well.

The continental breakfasts were ample, delicious and healthy. Courtney and the staff were helpful, amiable and welcoming. There is a washing service whereby staff will do a full load and then nicely fold your cleaned clothes for $10, which was exactly what we needed at the time.

On balance we heartily recommend Woodley Park Guest House. It's a most agreeable alternative to an impersonal hotel.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple