“A warm and welcoming place” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Woodley Park Guest House

Woodley Park Guest House
Ranked #2 of 36 Washington DC B&B and Inns
Wharton, Texas
“A warm and welcoming place”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 30, 2012

If first impressions have anything to do with it, my first impression of the Woodley Park Guest House was "Wow! If I had only known about this Guest House sooner!" I had just walked past it and was just sure it was sold out and/or beyond my travel budget. But I had to find out. I turned around and went back to check it out. Curtis (the staff member on duty) welcomed me in, offered me sweet rolls (yummy!), and hot tea. We talked, then he gave me a tour. I was so impressed that I asked if there were a vacancy starting that night. He said "yes", and I immediately went to my downtown hotel, checked out, and returned to the Guest House. That was in 2002, and I have been back to the Woodley Park Guest House every year since then, sometimes staying there 2 or 3 times per year (on college business). Over the years, I have enjoyed meeting the other guests and hearing about what brings them to DC. All this meeting and greeting happens around the large breakfast table in the dining room. Sitting out on the porch in the late afternoon for tea is a favorite passtime of mine as it is for others. The owners of the facility and the staff have been terrific hosts, and I have always felt at home at the Guest House. It is truly a warm and welcoming place.

Room Tip: I am an early riser, so Room 114 is perfect for me. It is right across from the "kitchen"...
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled on business
3 Thank BWK_12

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (82)
Champaign, Illinois, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 28, 2012

My son and I made our first trip to Washington DC to see the sites. The next time we visit DC, it may be just to stop by the Woodley Park Guest House and say "hello." The accomodations were clean and the conversations with the other guests over breakfast were engaging. Kudos to Courtney (the owner) for introducing everyone at breakfast and joining in the discussions. Thanks to Ingrid for directing us to the Lebanese restaurant around the corner. Kelly was friendly. Lastly, Janet is now part of the family. And to think, I just happened upon the guest house. I must have been living right!

Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
london
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2012

I regularly visit Washington for lengthy research trips. I was very fortunate to discover the Woodley Park Guest House about five years ago. I would not contemplate staying anywhere else in the city, apart from the Embassy Circle Guest House on R Street. The guest house is ideally located in Woodley Park, which is on the red line of the Washington metro. Woodley Park is a quiet residential neighbourhood, and area has an abundance of good places to eat and drink. The guest house is a short distance from Dupont Circle, which has a broader range of restaurants. Guests can be certain of a friendly reception from the staff upon their arrival. Courtney Lodico and her staff are always happy to advise guests about Washington's numerous cultural and culinary attractions. In my experience, the rooms in the guest house are uniformly comfortable and spotless. There are a couple of rooms which have shared bathrooms, but this is no inconvenience. Not only does the guest house provide first class comfort and service, guests also benefit from a delicious continental breakfast where they will be introduced to other guests at the communal dining table. This is not always the case in similar establishments. The Woodley Park Guest House is by any standard a first class place to stay, and I always look forward to returning.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled on business
3 Thank 1john38
Athens, Tn
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 19, 2012

After enjoying a stay at the Woodley Park Guest House three years ago I looked forward to another stay last week. It was just as enjoyable the second time with outstanding hospitality afforded by both the owners and staff. The rooms are clean and attractively furnished. It is also quiet which surprised me since it is so centrally located to restaurants, shops, the metro, and more. I am eager to get back next year! Ann D.

Room Tip: I enjoy the views from the front rooms.
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank Ann D
Cambridge, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 6, 2012

I first stayed at Woodley Park Guest House five years ago when I came to Washington DC for a conference. There were many reasons I chose not to stay at the hotel where the conference was being held, and in the end, finding the Woodley Park Guest House was my greatest pleasure of that conference. The room was cozy, clean, and a perfect retreat at the end of the day. The bathroom was always impeccably clean, and I loved the apricot scented body lotion. I also loved that the location of the guest house encouraged a morning walk/jog/run in the zoo, and connecting with the red panda, giant panda, emu, cheetah, elephants, flamingo, kookaburra, and many other animals gave a great start to the day. I returned after my zoo excursion to the superb breakfast which included fresh fruit, stellar coffee, hard-boiled eggs and oatmeal, and best of all, interesting conversation with other guests – people I might not have otherwise connected with. The staff including the owner all the support staff are friendly and engaging – people I have talked to about politics, books, our families, the world, life, you name it. To top everything off, last year, on Valentine’s Day, I returned to find a gift of chocolate hearts in my room, and a thank you note for staying with them. Now, I can’t imagine staying anywhere else when I come for my annual conference.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank Karin D
Derby, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 12, 2012

We were a little disappointed with this B&B. Our usual accommodation when we are travelling is bed and breakfast and we were looking forward to staying here on our first trip to Washington. However... unlike other excellent B&B's that we stayed on during this trip, the homely touches were just not there. Our room, room 131, which on the website is described as cozy, we would describe as tiny with tired looking furniture and a noisy air conditioner just outside the door and another one in the room that threw out freezing air on a cold, wet October day. The bathroom was clean and tidy enough but, again, very small. The breakfasts were very basic for the amount we paid per night, and, although, there were maybe coffee and cookies at the end of the day, you would have to make it a fairly short day of sightseeing to be there in time for them - we didn't manage to have any and we were not particularly late getting back each evening.

The guest house is quite well-positioned just round the corner from the metro and within easy walking distance of restaurants - we can particularly recommend The Afghan Grill where we had a lovely meal in a pleasant atmosphere and with friendly waiters.

Overall this place felt like a B&B that was definitely being run as a business as opposed to a 'home from home'.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 stars
    • 2 of 5 stars
5 Thank Leo55
DCInnkeepers, Owner at Woodley Park Guest House, responded to this review, February 21, 2012
We are always sorry when the Woodley Park Guest House does not meet the expectations of a guest. As our many outstanding Trip Advisor reviews enthusiastically proclaim, we pay great attention to the comfort of every one who stays with us, and we are constantly described as "a home away from home" – a place where guests feel like they are “members of the family". As our reviews note, our rooms are cozy, with lovely furnishings, beautiful artwork and carefully selected amenities. Our beds are often praised for allowing our guests "a great night's sleep". Our staff is warm, friendly and professionally dedicated to helping each guest have the best possible stay.

We provide a delicious, healthy breakfast which we honestly describe and picture on our website. Our reviews indicate that our fresh fruit salad is the highlight of the meal, and it is recognized by one and all as being a labor of love. Guests also appreciate our wonderful assortment of organic breads, delicious homemade coffee cakes, and other healthy breakfast components. And of course, there is our excellent coffee!

The true gift of the breakfast, as noted in many Trip Advisor reviews, is the conversation around the table and the opportunity to speak with fellow travelers and colleagues from around the world. It seems that these reviewers did not participate in the breakfast. According to our Trip Advisor reviews, most of our guests would consider that a missed opportunity.

Our delicious homemade cookies and brownies are served everyday between the hours of noon and 6:00 PM. They are the “afternoon snacks” described on our website. These delicious baked goods are also available after 6:00 PM on request. We would never deny a guest the pleasure of a mouth watering cookie or the world’s best brownie.

We've made it a goal to fairly describe and photograph our rooms and to include these photos on the "Rooms and Rates" page of our web site. We encourage our guests to make their room selection based on their needs, taste and budget. Because of its location "under the eaves", Room 131 enjoys the lowest rate of our queen rooms. The reviewer specifically requested that room when the reservation was submitted. Along with the large comfortable bed, Room 131 contains two newly upholstered comfy chairs, a lovely mahogany desk with chair, a beautiful antique armoire, two night stands, four lamps and three spectacular pieces of original artwork from American born, German-based artist, Shoshanna Ahart. There is a spotlessly clean bathroom with stand up shower in the room. Room 131 has a comfortable amount of floor space and moving around is easy as long as the guests remembers they chose the room "under the eaves."

We are aware that there are guests who will have special requirements regarding their comfort. For that exact reason, an owner of the Woodley Park Guest House is present every day - seven days a week - to host breakfast and to assist guests with their needs and requests. We regularly and happily adjust the temperature of the rooms, provide extra pillows and blankets, book airport transportation, print boarding passes, supply gluten free foods and diet-specific milk. The guests that wrote this review never spoke with an owner, staff member or housekeeper. Had they given us any indication that they were not 100% satisfied with their accommodations; we would have made every effort to improve their situation and to remedy their complaints. We’re sorry they did not give us a chance to address their concerns – and we’re sorry that they went away disappointed because they chose to remain silent.
Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 12, 2012

From the personal greeting to the special accommodations for my bag prior to check-in and after check-out, it was a delightful stay at the Woodley House B&B.

The rooms are not huge, but a good size, with comfortable furnishings. The private bath was small, but large enough to meet my needs, though a large person would find the shower to be cramped. The bed was very comfortable with plenty of extra pillows and blanklets available. Very clean and well-kept.

The breakfast was a modified continental, as advertised, with various toasts and breads, multiple cereals, yogurt, cottage cheese, oatmeal and hard-boiled eggs along with different juices. The coffee was perfect for my tastes - not too strong or too weak - and was available a half hour before breakfast was served.

One of the things I liked was the communal breakfast. Our hosts introduced us to each other and the breakfast conversation was interesting, though not something you felt obligated to participate in.

The event I was attending was at the Marriott Wardman. Staying right across the street at the B&B was perfect for being close, but removed from the crowds and hustle of the conference.

The owner and staff were wonderful - I don't think we'll ever stay at a hotel in D.C. again.

Room Tip: The have photographs of the various rooms on the website, so review them to be sure you have the fur...
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled on business