“They don't come any better than this”

Woodley Park Guest House
Ranked #6 of 35 Washington DC B&B and Inns
Reviewed April 20, 2011

Situated in a lovely tree lined street, directly opposite the very swish Marriott Hotel (handy if you need a taxi in a hurry), and just around the corner from the Metro Station and some excellent restaurants, this B&B is a winner before even stepping in the door. Arriving with bags in tow you walk up the steps to the porch where comfy cane lounge chairs and tables are lined up just inviting you to sit down, kick back and relax. Once inside the door, a lovely fresh light-filled room greets you and the receptionist's friendly greeting tells you that you are going to really like staying here.
Our room was in the basement, but was filled with light and was spacious and fresh. It had a comfy queen sized bed, two bedside tables with individual lamps, a desk, chair and table lamp with WiFi and internet connection available. A large bureau with spacious clean smelling drawers for your clothes, space to put bags (but a collapsible bag stand would be a nice idea to save bending for those less nimble than us), two comfy arm chairs and another small table. Extra pillows and blanket were also supplied.
The bathroom was a good size with fresh white fluffy towels and a vanity with plenty of space to put toiletry items on. This was the only B&B we stayed in that had good towel rail space. Towels were changed daily and the bed re-made - even though we had made it ourselves.
On our arrival we were shown where we could help ourselves to tea/coffee and always there was a freshly made brownie or sweet treat to have as well, which was always appreciated after walking the streets of Washington. They also provided wine glasses if you wanted to buy yourself a bottle of wine at a nearby store, to have on the porch or in your room. They also provided a washing and ironing service (for a small fee) which is a great help when travelling, because not every article of clothing can be washed in the bathroom basin.
Breakfasts were a treat. Choice of 3 juices, about 5 cereals, bread and a toaster, boiled eggs, muffins, freshly chopped fruit, tea and coffee on a help yourself basis. The table seated 12 and was the source of shared information, enjoyable and very interesting conversation every morning. We had to drag ourselves away from the table to go sightseeing.
The staff were helpful and very accommodating of any request and our hosts, Courtney and Joe made sure that our stay would be memorable in every way.
Of all the 18 B&B's/Guest Houses that I booked (thank you Trip Advisor) on this 10 week holiday, Woodley Park Guest House was the best of them all, and a wonderful way to finish a fantastic holiday.

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Rhonnie7

Reviewed April 20, 2011

My mother and I stayed for 3 nights and loved our time there. The staff, owners, housekeepers made us feel right at home. The breakfast was wonderful; friendly people, and very helpful. We would definitely return during our next visit to DC.

Laura and Sandra

• Stayed: April 2011
1  Thank jessie2323
Reviewed April 18, 2011

I told my husband that for my 75th birthday present I would like to go to the Cherry Blossom Festival in Washington, D.C. We are lovers of Bed and Breakfasts and Guest Houses. He did his research and chose Woodley Park Guest House. We were not disappointed. Our accomodations were tastefully done and meticulously clean. We happen to like meeting new and interesting people and we were not disappointed. The owners, Courtney and Joe and their staff were warm, friendly and helpful.. We met guests at the breakfast table each morning from other countries and other states. Some of them had stayed here several times and were like old friends with the owners. We found the location to be perfect. Just down the street from the Woodley was access to the Metro system. It was clean and unintimidating. We plan to stay there again on our next trip to Washington, D.C. Kristin and John Burk

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Kristin008
Reviewed March 29, 2011

Woodley Park Guest House is a great place to stay whether you're on business or pleasure. The cozy atmosphere, quiet location, and high-speed internet make it a great "office away from home" for travelers, and the convenience to local D.C. attractions and friendly staff make it a must for vacationers. I was here for business (and a day of pleasure) and thoroughly enjoyed my stay.

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled on business
Reviewed March 14, 2011

How did Kelly remember that I loved my breakfast in the wicker chairs on the porch? How did Ingrid know that I wanted help in confirming my flight home? How did Courtney know I would appreciate her giving me a lift UP to the National Cathedral, but enjoyed the stroll back down the hill later that day? Anyone can hang up a sign and call themselves a host, but this group of people practice the art of hospitality. This lovely place is just around the corner from many great eateries, but this most recent trip I discovered the Woodley Cafe, moments from from the guest house. Try their homemade REAL tomato/basil soup and you'll go back for more as I did. Thank you Kelly - thank you Ingrid -- thank you Courtney. See you in a couple of months.

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled on business
1  Thank puddledocker1
Reviewed March 11, 2011

This is a gem. My husband & I stayed here on a long weekend fun trip. We visited old favorite museums and a found some new favorites (notably the Newseum). The location is outstanding, because it is so close to a Metro station and the neighborhood is lovely. It is walking distance to the National Cathedral (longer walk) and the Zoo (shorter walk) and the Adams Morgan area. The staff and owners of this guest house could not be nicer. Breakfast was a facilitated discussion among the guests who happened in and was one of the high points of our stay. Wonderful and interesting people in town for a variety of reasons. The food was really good and there was a good variety. The coffee was outstanding (really). We walked to dinner in Adams Morgan one night, and the other nights we ate in the immediate neighborhood. Taxi service was readily available, although we just walked or used the Metro. I guess you might want to know that the rooms are small and there are no televisions. The bed was really comfortable, the bathroom was nice, the closet and furnishings were nice, there is high speed internet available, and the absence of a television was a blessing.

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled as a couple
Thank AnotherFla.Mom
Reviewed March 5, 2011

I am a bed and breakfast traveler. When I must attend conferences, I always seek out alternative accommodations, near by or on a bus/subway route, that will take me to the conference meeting place. This guest house exceeded all of my expectations in all categories: Near to the metro (steps away), Comfort of accommodations (small elegant rooms, a great night's sleep), gracious hostess, lovely breakfast and interesting and diverse guests that make for warm and meaningful breakfast conversations.

Parking is available free of charge if you inform the reservations desk when you book your room. I arrived about an hour earlier than expected and took the time to stroll the nearby neighborhood, Rock Creek Park, the local Pakistani import store filled with saris and costume jewelry, and the wonderful Diner, one block away, that screens classic movies continually.

Most important for me, an Israeli advocate for dialogue and negotiations, was the opportunity to talk with others who were visiting Washington and share our experiences.
A married couple, lawyers described their visit to the News Museum and the World War II and Korean War memorials and I made sure to take these in on this or my next visit. The 2 star general who volunteers to fly medical aid to areas of the world where help is needed was an unexpected surprise. And it turned out he knew an old friend of mine and helped us re-connect. Others were doctors developing new tools in their field, a former NYC Assistant Commissioner, and families looking at colleges with their kids.

Stay here!