“More than all that” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #112 of 140 Hotels in Washington DC
Northern Virginia, USA
“More than all that”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 30, 2011

All the previous reviews talk about the decoration (amazing), artwork (incredible), mess (well, we disagree there...eye of the beholder and such), so we will not harp on any of those.

We stayed in the Newport Suite, with three bedrooms and one bath. We all loved the entry, which was behind a hidden door. Each room was decorated in a unique style, having a gallery of art. All had (tube) tv's, very comfortable (king, craftmatic-style king or twin) bed, dressers and closets. The bathroom was richly decorated, with a bidet and shower/tub contraption from the Jetsons ... Amazing body spray, overhead rain options. There did not seem to be a safe in any of them, nor, surprisingly, a phone. Since we all have cell phones "nowadays", the phone situation was not terribly inconvenient. We did not inquire about a hotel safe, since we had nothing valuable with us.

Ted was the consummate host, taking the time to bring us on an amazing tour of the Mansion. We did not encounter many other staff during our stay, but the one time we needed assistance in our room, Ted answered the phone quickly and came right down (up, across?) to help.

We had brunch, which was VERY varied and mostly excellent as any and better than most in DC. Service was efficient and polite, if not necessarily attentive. When we DID request a refill or cream, they were brought quickly and cheerfully. Brunch reviewed elsewhere, so not dedicating much space to that.

Being Memorial Day weekend, there seemed to be only one or two other groups of guests. I will be interested to find out how the Mansion handles a full house. And we will be back to find out.

Room Tip: If possible, see them all before deciding
  • Stayed May 2011, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
4 Thank scottha

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
Woodinville, Washington
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 13, 2011

Stayed at the Mansion recently for almost two weeks and it was the absolute best "hotel" experience I've ever had. I travel quite a bit and have stayed at hotels on most every continent. I don't know how to describe the Mansion. It's not a place to stay, it's a place to experience. It's quirky and funky. It's clean and comfortable. The staff are warm and welcoming. It's a luxury stay in a unique setting for a reasonable price. The proprietors are so nice and love to talk about all of the unique "things" around the Mansion - signed guitars, special rooms, framed photos. My room had a poodle dog skirt signed by Hillary Rodham Clinton and framed with a picture of her sock hop birthday party. There was literally something interesting in every room. My young-adult kids came and stayed with me for a few nights and spent hours just wandering and looking.
If you want pure luxury, then the Ritz is a great place. If you want luxury with a unique twist, this is it. AND it's in a great location, about two blocks from the Dupont metro, plenty of good eats and fun shops to walk to!

• Stayed May 2011, traveled on business
4 Thank dpayton59
Washington DC, District of Columbia
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 7, 2011

It is so cramped and crazy, weird stuff and pics everywhere even in the bathroom! The staff member/owner is extremely rude.
The Mansion(building) itself is a very interesting place to visit but that's it.
I will never recommend staying there!

• Stayed April 2011, traveled on business
8 Thank De_tu_amor
Washington DC, District of Columbia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 15, 2010

This place is just damn cool. My room had hundreds of books, 3 Large screen TVs, separate sitting room, walk in closet, upstairs kitchen. And, oh yeah, bedroom with fireplace. There are signed guitars around the place, and filled with thrift shop kitch. I didn't get a key, because nobody could find my door anyway - hidden behind a corner and behind a bookcase with a handle inside a and behind an old LP.
Loved it. Thanks guys!

• Stayed September 2010, traveled on business
3 Thank Mac29d
Aquasco, Maryland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 27, 2010

A fellow colleague on extended TDY is staying at the mansion and set up a dinnertini party for our office. I have always heard about the mansion and now I had a reason to stay overnight! Let me first say the mansion isn't for all - well, take that back - it IS for everyone who is breathing!! The entire place is just a feast for your eyes. You can take yourself back to the kid at heart, or relax in peace and tranquility after a long day - something for everyone. Oh, the food was excellent and the service was impeccable as well. I stayed in the Windmill room - the large emerald green jacuzzi tub was sublime - the bed, gracious - the bed was like sleeping on angels wings - no lie! Owners are very wonderfully unpretentious hosts too! I told H - this is my home away from home when in DC. That is a fact! I'm booked for another special event in August - anything to use as an excuse to stay at the mansion is my philosophy.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled on business
3 Thank Biceman
North Carolina
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 12, 2010

There are so many things to say about this hotel, that I hardly know where to start. It is crazy, crowded, quiet, cramped. I could go on, but you get the picture. Well, there's no way you could really get an accurate picture without seeing it, but I'll try.

When we walked in, I thought, "surely we're in the wrong place." Picture the craziest estate sale or flea market you have ever been to and multiply it by 100. There is stuff EVERYWHERE, and you have to carry your own bags to your room on check-in, so I was sure I was going to knock something over.

They were very accommodating about our rooms, which were very clean and comfortable, but honestly I was on sensory overload because I was so nervous about finding my way around, navagating the extremely narrow halls, avoiding knocking something over, and taking in all the stuff to see. Along with all the flea market items, there are crazy colors on the walls and ceilings, mirrors that hide doorways, and more hallways to get lost in around every corner.

Breakfast was on your own in the 3rd floor kitchen. There was fresh fruit, breads, and omelette makings, but you have to fix it yourself. Apparently there is room service, but there wasn't a lot of explanation about that on check in.

It's as if they are an exclusive members-only hotel that is forced by the economy to let "everyday" guests in, but that doesn't mean they have to tell you all the secrets to membership and how to get the best experience from the hotel and staff. I have no idea if there was a pool or fitness center, as we were never told. It was completely overwhelming and I found nothing relaxing about my stay. If you want a soothing, elegant, relaxing stay while in D.C., I just cannot recommend this hotel.

Lastly, if there had been a need to evacuate in the middle of the night, there was no way we could have done it, unless a member of the invisible staff had come and led us out by the hand.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled on business
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
7 Thank NCTraveler044
Minneapolis
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 15, 2010

i'mpossible to describe in a paragraph so i wont try. This place is 1/2 B&B, 1/2 flea market and added up it's the coolest place i've ever stayed in. on my floor was my room with a bathroom with a 3' deep jacuzzi, a full size kitchen stocked with fresh food for you to eat, a dining room, a nice patio out back, a huge office with massive desk, a Mac, printer, everything free to me to use. Best of all...a huge billiards room with old style barber chairs for sittin and sippin whiskey while you listen to music on the juke box - we spent all night in there. the patio out back also has a pool but it was too cold for that.

Ask for the log cabin room - i'magine a Northern MN log cabin, two floors, cow hide rugs, leather furniture, two 55" flat screen tv's, it's own kitchenette, forget the jacuzzi - this room has a SAUNA, and the he headboard for the king sized bed is a fish tank!

Not for those looking for the same old same old but perfectly located, well staffed, clean and incredibly unique. Best part is that all the payment for food you eat, things you find in the hotel you want to buy...is all on the honor system! You make a bagel sandwich and have juice in the morning, just write it down and they bill you for it.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled on business