“Great staff, great location and a great value.”

Kimpton George Hotel
Ranked #21 of 141 Hotels in Washington DC
GreenLeadersGold level
Cleveland, Ohio
“Great staff, great location and a great value.”
Reviewed November 4, 2010

The Hotel George is located conveniently to Union Station, the Capitol and the National Mall. The hotel is older but well maintained with an excellent bistro-style restaurant located right off the lobby. The food and service were first class (especially the Methode Champenoise wines by the glass) and room service is from the bistro, as well. The staff's recommendations regarding restaurants in the neighborhood were spot on. The fitness center was small, but well equipped, with a men's and a women's steam rooms. Overall, I would recommend this hotel highly.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple
GeorgeWashingtonDC, General Manager at Kimpton George Hotel, responded to this review, November 12, 2010
General Manager, Christopher Cannon: Thank you for your great review. I will share with my team your appreciation of our great service at the George.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (357)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Toledo, Ohio
Reviewed October 29, 2010

I came to dc because i have never been to dc. I did some extensive searching for a hotel that was pet friendly, I came across the George and booked a room! When we arrived around 4am, and have been driving for 9+ hours the staff knew exactly who we were, check in was a breeze and we were taken straight up to our room! The next day my friend had to go rescue her cat because the owner could no longer take care of it. When we arrived back to the hotel the staff was amazing, although they didn't have any feline supplies they quickly went out and got some supplies to accommodate princess, i never knew of a hotel that would go above and beyond to do something like that for a guest! The location is great, close to the sites that you would want to see. the room was clean and comfortable, everything worked as it should, the bathroom was spacious and had an adjustable speaker for the tv! When i come back to D.C. i will be staying at this hotel again! Thanks again for the most enjoyable stay Hotel George

• Stayed April 2010, traveled with friends
Austin, Texas
Reviewed October 27, 2010

Would recommend this hotel for the business traveler that wants to be in a quiet area in downtown. Service was excellent. Location is next to the Union Station and Capitol so it was very easy to move around DC. The only downside is lack of restaurants in the area that you could walk to. I stayed here for about 10 days and the front desk staff were very accomodating.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled on business
Finland
Reviewed October 27, 2010

I staid here, in a top floor room, for two nights. Definately not as nice as I had expected (based on review, and the price); terrible outdated wallpaper, a bit of dust here and there, semi-clean bathroom... Some of the sockets not working, slightly odd smell in the shower, etc. Linens were great, however, and really peaceful hotel (great sleep quality). Definately would be great three-star hotel, not a four star.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled on business
General Manager, Christopher Cannon: Thank you for sharing your experience and my sincere apologies we did not surpass your expectations. I take all comments provided to me very seriously and will address with my team after a thorough investigation is done. I appreciate your recognition of our great team and comfortable beds.
New York City, New York
Reviewed October 22, 2010

I spent three nights at the Hotel George while attending a conference at another hotel. I chose the Hotel George because I have stayed there before and had positive experiences. The same was true for this stay. First, the location is ideal for anyone arriving in D.C. on the train -- just one block away from Union Station. So it also makes it easy to travel around the city on the metro, to museums and restaurants. The staff are consistently polite and helpful, and the rooms are nicely appointed. I also like the separate shower stall in the bathroom. The only hitch was my inability to log on to the WiFi in my room, which may have been a problem with my iPod.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled on business
Dandridge
Reviewed October 20, 2010

My wife and I stayed in DC for a couple nights and we were super excited about the deal we got at The Hotel George. Priceline gave us an incredible rate for this "4 Star" hotel, but it was anything but "4 Star". The wallpaper was peeling and the carpet was faded. I do have to say that the bathroom was very nice and it's in a great location next to the Capitol and Union Station; but if you don't get a great deal, I wouldn't stay here. We won't again.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Reviewed October 17, 2010

I spent a long weekend at Washingtion DC with my wife and 1 year old daughter to celebrate our wedding anniversary. We had previously stayed at the Hotel Palomar, another Kimpton Hotel several years ago. We decided to stay at the Hotel George this time because of the location and to take advantage of their Park and Go deal (free valet parking). The Hotel Palomar didn't have this package available for our date.

Check-In is usually at 3pm. Suprisingly, we did not hit any traffic driving down from Philly. So, we got there a little past 12pm and the receptionist had no problem checking us in ahead of time. We requested a crib for our daughter ahead of time and the crib was already in our room when we went in. Make sure to join their Keep In Touch program because you'll get a $10 credit to the mini-bar and free wireless Wifi.

The room was nice and clean. I appreciated the seperate shower stall with complimentary body wash, shampoo, and conditioner. The room was smaller compared to the Hotel Palomar. However, I knew that ahead of time, but the location is more convenient because it's only a couple of blocks from Union Station and a quick walking distance from the Capitol Hill.

The only negative that I could find was that there are no convenience stores (Wawa/7-11) or pharmacies (Rite Aid, CVS, etc.) near the hotel. We needed to buy milk for our daughter and the only place nearby was a liquor store down the block which had milk, but at a premium price.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled with family
GeorgeWashingtonDC, General Manager at Kimpton George Hotel, responded to this review, October 19, 2010
General Manager, Christopher Cannon: Thank you for your business and your “Very Nice” feedback of the Hotel George. I look forward to welcoming you and your family back soon.