“Three stars, for the money”

Kimpton George Hotel
Ranked #20 of 141 Hotels in Washington DC
GreenLeadersGold level
Finland
“Three stars, for the money”
Reviewed October 27, 2010

I staid here, in a top floor room, for two nights. Definately not as nice as I had expected (based on review, and the price); terrible outdated wallpaper, a bit of dust here and there, semi-clean bathroom... Some of the sockets not working, slightly odd smell in the shower, etc. Linens were great, however, and really peaceful hotel (great sleep quality). Definately would be great three-star hotel, not a four star.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled on business
GeorgeWashingtonDC, General Manager at Kimpton George Hotel, responded to this review, November 12, 2010
General Manager, Christopher Cannon: Thank you for sharing your experience and my sincere apologies we did not surpass your expectations. I take all comments provided to me very seriously and will address with my team after a thorough investigation is done. I appreciate your recognition of our great team and comfortable beds.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (353)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
New York City, New York
Reviewed October 22, 2010

I spent three nights at the Hotel George while attending a conference at another hotel. I chose the Hotel George because I have stayed there before and had positive experiences. The same was true for this stay. First, the location is ideal for anyone arriving in D.C. on the train -- just one block away from Union Station. So it also makes it easy to travel around the city on the metro, to museums and restaurants. The staff are consistently polite and helpful, and the rooms are nicely appointed. I also like the separate shower stall in the bathroom. The only hitch was my inability to log on to the WiFi in my room, which may have been a problem with my iPod.

Dandridge
Reviewed October 20, 2010

My wife and I stayed in DC for a couple nights and we were super excited about the deal we got at The Hotel George. Priceline gave us an incredible rate for this "4 Star" hotel, but it was anything but "4 Star". The wallpaper was peeling and the carpet was faded. I do have to say that the bathroom was very nice and it's in a great location next to the Capitol and Union Station; but if you don't get a great deal, I wouldn't stay here. We won't again.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Reviewed October 17, 2010

I spent a long weekend at Washingtion DC with my wife and 1 year old daughter to celebrate our wedding anniversary. We had previously stayed at the Hotel Palomar, another Kimpton Hotel several years ago. We decided to stay at the Hotel George this time because of the location and to take advantage of their Park and Go deal (free valet parking). The Hotel Palomar didn't have this package available for our date.

Check-In is usually at 3pm. Suprisingly, we did not hit any traffic driving down from Philly. So, we got there a little past 12pm and the receptionist had no problem checking us in ahead of time. We requested a crib for our daughter ahead of time and the crib was already in our room when we went in. Make sure to join their Keep In Touch program because you'll get a $10 credit to the mini-bar and free wireless Wifi.

The room was nice and clean. I appreciated the seperate shower stall with complimentary body wash, shampoo, and conditioner. The room was smaller compared to the Hotel Palomar. However, I knew that ahead of time, but the location is more convenient because it's only a couple of blocks from Union Station and a quick walking distance from the Capitol Hill.

The only negative that I could find was that there are no convenience stores (Wawa/7-11) or pharmacies (Rite Aid, CVS, etc.) near the hotel. We needed to buy milk for our daughter and the only place nearby was a liquor store down the block which had milk, but at a premium price.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled with family
GeorgeWashingtonDC, General Manager at Kimpton George Hotel, responded to this review, October 19, 2010
General Manager, Christopher Cannon: Thank you for your business and your “Very Nice” feedback of the Hotel George. I look forward to welcoming you and your family back soon.
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed October 15, 2010

I travel frequently to DC for work and I always try and stay at Hotel George. Well located near the Hill and Union Station, it has a terrific restaurant (Bistro Bis) and outstanding staff that is really responsive. On my last trip there were specific things I wanted in my room and Michael Love the concierge remembered from my previous stays and made sure they were there. Terrific!

• Stayed October 2010, traveled on business
General Manager, Christopher Cannon: Thank you for your business and returning to the George once again. I appreciate your feedback and compliments of our outstanding service. I look forward to welcoming you back soon
Bucharest, Romania
Reviewed October 15, 2010

This hotel proved to be an excellent choice from the very first moment I stepped in. I travelled with a group of people and not all of them spoke English. Despite that, check in was smooth and fast. Rooms are up to Kimpton’s standards. Comfortable beds, high quality toiletries, nice mini bar selection and complimentary fast internet connection. The happy hour did the trick as all of us enjoyed the wine. I totally loved the architecture (the hotel’s coral colored walls) as well as the room design that definitely show attention to the last detail. The idea of having George (the golden fish) welcoming every guest proved to be brilliant. Instantly put a smile on our faces.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled on business
General Manager, Christopher Cannon: Thank you for your “Excellent feedback” and comments on the George. When you come back to the States and D.C. please let me know so I can say hello again and welcome you back.
Jacksonville, Florida
Reviewed October 14, 2010

From the moment we walked through the door, we felt that we were treated like family. Whatever we needed, the staff was there for us. Our suite was beautiful, clean and very comfortable. We ate at the Bis bistro which was fantastic! The location was great...easy access to wherever we wanted to go. I will definitely stay there again....hopefully soon!

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple
General Manager, Christopher Cannon: Thank you for your business and “Wonderful” review of the George. Please let me know when you return and I will personally look after your stay. Thank you again for staying at the George.