“Extremely Accomodating Staff Will Go Extra Mile”

Kimpton George Hotel
Ranked #21 of 141 Hotels in Washington DC
GreenLeadersGold level
Chapel Hill, North Carolina
“Extremely Accomodating Staff Will Go Extra Mile”
Reviewed April 20, 2010

My trip to DC was for a Class Reunion, and everyone arrived via different modes of transportation. I drove from NC, and once I arrived in the Capitol, I got lost and called the hotel several times for directions. I was lost for 3 hours to be exact. The staff (Josh & Johnny) never lost their patience in giving directions, Josh even used his personal cell, as mine kept cutting off, to get me in. I have traveled as far as Europe, and never met with such polite, patient, and caring staff. They even presented me with a complementary bottle of wine for my troubles, when it is I who should have presented the wine to them! The Bistro Cafe on the premises never disappointed. I would highly recommend this hotel to a friend, and have already recommended Hotel George, to several neighbors--one of whom had come across the Hotel George as a "pet friendly" place to stay when in DC. Accolades to Michael Love, and all the hotel staff, for going out of their way in accomodating our group fwith everything from luggage to umbrellas and canes.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled with friends
1 Thank Angie19632010

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (357)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Orange Beach
Reviewed April 12, 2010

My sister and I just returned from a 4 night stay at Hotel Geprge. What a wonderful experience. Customer service at this hotel is first class. From check-in to check-out, all of our requests were met. Our room was quite large and very comfortable. Concierge (Mike) was extremely helpful with sightseeing recommendations and dining suggestions. Yasmin at the front desk was very personable and friendly. i just cannot say enough nice things about this hotel and its staff. Hotel is very convenient to all the popular tourist stops.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled with family
1 Thank KBrownOrangeBeach
GeorgeWashingtonDC, General Manager at Kimpton George Hotel, responded to this review, April 20, 2010
General Manager: Thank you for sharing the great experience you had at the Hotel George. I look forward to your return in the near future.
Virginia
Reviewed April 12, 2010

From the minute we walked in we were greeted with smiles and the staff was very helpful and very polite.

The room was spacious and had all the amenities you could want, including a mini-bar. The food in the restaurant was excellent including the dessert and a wide selection of drinks.

The hotel is in a great location and is in walking distance to several restaurants, bars and attractions.

We really enjoyed our stay and will definitely be coming back for another get away soon.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled as a couple
Michigan
Reviewed April 11, 2010

It's always a risk when bidding on priceline and I was very nervous when we won a stay at the George. It had great reviews but sounded almost too upscale and no pool. I called immediately to verify some details and the lady who took my call put all my fears to rest. The staff make this hotel great. They are fantastic professionals. My daughter especially loved Joshua! The rooms were huge, especially when you consider this hotel is in the heart of the city. We parked our car at the lot across the street. They've recently changed the parking rules in Washington so you can no longer park on the street for free on the weekends. Union station is a 5 minute walk and had lots of choices for quick inexpensive dining. The capitol building is also a 5 minute walk away and you can see it from either street corner. We took advantage of the nightly wine social. It was great to talk to other guests about their day. The lobby has a Wii set-up so we enjoyed some games, too. The fitness center has a great little steam room. This really helped our exhausted muscles recover. One day we walked over 10 miles. I've been using Priceline for years and have had good and bad experiences. I'm happy to say The George was one of the best. Thank-you for a wonderful Spring Break 2010!!

• Stayed April 2010, traveled with family
1 Thank Thunderpunch
Brighton
Reviewed April 8, 2010

The George Hotel is in a good location near Union Station with a very good car park opposite the hotel for those travelling into Washington by car. It has a very good restaurant and bar - quite expensive but good. Bar prices are expensive $10 for a gin and tonic - then there is the tax plus service which in the States is always the killer!

Room rates on the whole do not include breakfast, which is expensive; sadly there are no diners that I could find nearby! Room service is expensive with 20% service and a $3 charge on top of the prices quoted.

Our Room 902 was quite small and rather crowded with furniture. There was a pull down bed in the wall and a large arm chair which had to be moved to get into the wardrobe - the television was housed in a huge wardrobe like cupboard the door of which kept floating across the TV! This cupboard also contained the fridge and mini bar. Water at $5!!!!! for a small bottle and lots of nonsence sweets and chocolate at ridiculous prices as well as the ususal suspects of alcohol.

The air conditioning in the room was noisy and although one could open a window the noise from a neighbouring building's air conditioning unit was really loud - a deep humming sound which could be heard above the TV! If you take a room at the George you need to be on the west side of the hotel away from the next door building.

They advertise a wine hour in their booklet but this only happens on weekdays and not over the weekend, which is a shame as the reception area is very nice and a good place to meet fellow guests.

The female desk staff were very helpful and charming, the male I felt just slightly mocking and not quite so helpful!

To sum up the restaurant is better than the hotel.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Suseyq
GeorgeWashingtonDC, General Manager at Kimpton George Hotel, responded to this review, April 12, 2010
General Manager: Thank you for staying at the George and providing your feedback on your recent stay. Our prices for both the hotel and restaurant are very competitive. Unfortunately the taxes and service charges are standard in the Unite States. Our location is outstanding and thank you again for sharing your perspective.
Reviewed April 5, 2010

Hi!
Every time I go to Washington DC I always stay at the Hotel George on 15 E St NW. Everything is right at the George, Staff is so friendly, location is perfect to get around, you can walk or ride the metro right across tbe street, Union. Station. Room services wonderful, Food is so good, beautiful. Rooms. You can even bring your dog, they treat my dog. Murray Like a king. I know if you stay at the Hotel George next time you visit Washington DC you will not want to stay any where else

Sally Walker.

• Stayed April 2010
1 Thank salcrider
General Manager: Thank you for staying with us and providing your exceptional experience of the George. In addition to being Pet friendly we are Kid friendly as well. I look forward to welcoming you back soon.
Salt Lake City
Reviewed April 4, 2010

I arrived on one of the only trains that made it into D.C. from New York City that day because of weather problems. I had booked through one of the web-based agents. After a delay, and several keys not working, I was escorted by the Manager - really, the Manager - to what had to be the worst room on the property: tiny, facing an interior area that featured exhaust fans and office windows, What was particularly shocking was our conversation about the number of cancellations they had because of the weather. And so, this manager did not have the customer service sense to put someone in a decent room? It is clear they do not treat customers from web-based agents very well. Really pathetic...Don't try this hotel if you are an decent person, paying a reasonable rate and expecting a decent room. Seriously bad - and with unintelligent and snotty front desk personnel.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled solo
3 Thank erasmus1
GeorgeWashingtonDC, General Manager at Kimpton George Hotel, responded to this review, April 5, 2010
General Manager: We provide the highest level of service to all of guests regardless of how their reservations are made.
My apologies your train was the only train to make it into D.C. due to the bad weather conditions.
We take all comments provided to us very seriously and will take the appropriate action after we have done a thorough investigation of the comments provided to us. Providing superior customer service is our number one priority at the George. I appreciate your feedback and extend my apologies that your perception of our service was less than stellar.