“Elegant hotel in prime Capitol Hill location, and well-run by superb staff.” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Kimpton George Hotel

The Kimpton George Hotel
Ranked #23 of 140 Hotels in Washington DC
GreenLeadersGold level
San Francisco, California
“Elegant hotel in prime Capitol Hill location, and well-run by superb staff.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 21, 2009

The week before Christmas was not crowded in D.C., and we were able to upgrade to a lovely 2-room, 2-bath suite for a nominal charge ($230 total). Most helpful at check-in was Michael at the front desk, and he continued to take good care of us throughout our stay. With the fine-dining restaurant Bistro Bis (and cozy bar) downstairs, and excellent location two blocks from Union Station, what is not to love? All Kimpton properties are well-run, and this one is at the top of our list. We are members of the Kimpton InTouch program, and have had only very good experiences with this small chain of boutique hotels.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank DocGonzo333

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (350)
  • Korean first
New Orleans, LA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 4, 2009

The location could not have been more perfect, two blocks away from Union Station and the metro, Capitol Hill and the Mall. We arrived around 11:30am and the staff were kind enough to let us check in four hours early. The maid service was impeccable. The bed was so comfortable it was hard to get up and leave. The shower had good water pressure and while the bath tub was a little shallow, it was nice to have a separate shower and bath available. The front desk staff were polite and helpful with requests for directions and inexpensive food options nearby. While our schedule didn't allow us to visit Bistro Bis, other friends have raved about the food and ambience. A big plus was that the wi-fi was free, after registering with Kimpton hotels online (a rarity at boutique and high end hotels).

Given the chance, we would definitely stay at this hotel again.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank ripeaspeaches
Kimpton_DC, Operations Manager at The Kimpton George Hotel, responded to this review, December 17, 2009
Hello ripeaspeaches,

Thank you for staying. I am glad that you liked our convenient location to Union Station and the Capitol. I am glad that the staff made such a good impression. I know that everyone goes out of their way to do a good job. I know they will be pleased to hear about your stay. Thanks again and come back again soon!
New York, NY
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 20, 2009

I found this hotel on-line when looking for a good deal on a room.

The hotel was a little hard to find on getting there. Staff at the hotel is extremely friendly and go out of their way to help out. I arrived earlier than check in time, the reception staff was very helpful and gave me an early check-in. Rooms were fresh, clean and comfortable. The bathroom was spacious too.

This hotel was my home away from home. I will be visiting this hotel again next year!

• Stayed August 2009, traveled on business
1 Thank Travelbuff91
Kimpton_DC, Operations Manager at The Kimpton George Hotel, responded to this review, November 24, 2009
Hello Travelbuff91,

Thank you for your comments. I apologize it was a little difficult to find the hotel but I am happy that once you arrived the staff were extremely friendly and helpful. I am glad that you felt this hotel was a home away from home. Thank you for coming and we’ll see you again next year!
Cleveland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 5, 2009

We got a great rate on this hotel and it truly came with everything we could want - a super location (less than 2 blocks to Union Station, which is a safe, clean metro stop, Amtrak station, and shopping area), a clean, modern, and comfortable room, FREE internet access (LOVE that!), and a large, clean bathroom with Aveda products. My husband forgot cufflinks and the front desk even had a very nice pair that they loaned him.

I've stayed in some very nice hotels, and this is just as great (if not better) than those hotels for a much better rate. Would highly recommend!

• Stayed November 2009, traveled on business
1 Thank danapd
Kimpton_DC, Operations Manager at The Kimpton George Hotel, responded to this review, November 12, 2009
Hello danapd,

I am glad that you got a good rate and also everything you wanted in a hotel. I see you liked the location and the room. I know the front desk do what they can to help and I am happy to see that they went the extra mile and lent cufflinks to your husband! That is what the hotel is all about. Thank you for staying and your recommendation. Please come back again soon!
Los Angeles, California
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 1, 2009

I was pleased to get a good rate at the George Hotel at the last minute, especially since it was perfectly situated for business I had around near the Capitol.

But my overall experience left me wanting - a lot. The room was sizable, but I am not a fan of hard mattresses. Also, the room had one of those infamous "east coast" air conditioners that sounds like a Panzer tank! So loud in fact, that I had to turn it off to be able to go to sleep. And my room was situated across from the ice maker, so that beast was clunking 24/7. And to add to my luck, the room was close to one of the cleaning staff closets, so staff was going in and out of that at all hours.

The carpet was very dirty when I arrived, and to their credit they sent staff to clean it immediately. However, the decided to wax the bathroom floor at the same time without telling me, and I almost tripped first time in there. The first morning there my key would not work. I decided to spend an extra night in DC -- the night staff said they would give me the same rate as I had gotten online; next morning I called the morning desk to confirm, and he insisted on charging me a higher rate. I eventually got him back down to the online rate, but it was an unnecessary hassle.

Finally, I paid $10 a day for internet service. However, it was the slowest I have experienced in a long time. And because of this I kept getting directed to a third party site instead of the pages I was trying to connect to. I was told there was nothing the hotel could do about it, so I followed their advice and went wireless instead.

The hotel on the whole is classic Kimpton: sleek, trendy, artsy. I for one wish they would spend less on leopard skin bathrobes and more on cleanliness and comfort. But that is a matter of taste, I guess.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled on business
1 Thank ericsf7
GeorgeWashingtonDC, General Manager at The Kimpton George Hotel, responded to this review, December 3, 2009
General Manager: Thank you for your feedback. Our Mattresses are all custom top of the line manufactured by Sealy. There are time periods during the day when traffic is heavy and carpets may show the volume of that traffic. We are extremely cognizant of this and will clean them throughout the day to ensure our guests experience the highest level of cleanliness at the hotel George. Our Air conditioners are quiet to some guests and noisy to others. We will address and fix any guest challenges reported to my team during their stay.
We encourage all of our guests to report any challenges during their stay so we can address any challenges before they leave.
General Manager Hotel George
Omaha, NE
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 20, 2009

We are a family of 4, with children ages 7 and 13, who stayed at The Hotel George, 15 E Street NW, Washington D.C., for five nights in mid-October 2009. We picked this hotel because it is within easy walking distance of most of the Smithsonian museums, the major D.C. monuments, and the Government buildings that we were interested in visiting and because we were quoted an excellent nightly room rate via EXPEDIA.

Our room was very comfortable, well maintained, and above all, very clean. The staff was great and not only did they answer all of our questions, but they went a little farther and added their own personal insights and recommendations. All in all, the staff exceeded our expectations in every way. When we checked out, the General Manager, Mr. Chris Cannon, was particularly helpful by insuring that we had transportation to Regan/National Airport for our flight home. I don't recall ever having had the General Manager of any hotel at which I've stayed take the time and make the extra effort that Mr. Cannon made for us. His sincere interest in our having had an excellent experience at the Hotel George is, I believe, a leadership attribute that clearly has rubbed off on the rest of his staff. Their motto should be "Hospitality with a Capital H!".

I would strongly recommend this hotel to anyone looking for place to stay with a close proximity to the U.S. Capital and/or within reasonable walking distance to the National Mall.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled with family
1 Thank JCAKOmaha
New Jersey
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 16, 2009

Hotel was very nice and clean! We even got a starbucks gc when we checked in. The bathroom was very nice and big. The only complaint is that the room smelled a little like cheap perfume!

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple