“Stay here for 5 Star Service”

Kimpton George Hotel
Ranked #21 of 140 Hotels in Washington DC
GreenLeadersGold level
Baden
“Stay here for 5 Star Service”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 22, 2013

This is the first time I have stayed in a Kimpton property but it will not be the last. I booked this hotel via a travel website and I must admit that I was a bit concerned when I learned that the hotel I was staying at was a property that I was unfamiliar with. This concern was compounded by the fact that my wife and I had friends who travel for a living (Europe, Asia, Australia, Americas etc.) meeting us for a few days for a mini vacation and birthday celebration.

***PLEASE READ FULL REVIEW AS THE STAFF DESERVES THE RECOGNITION***

Immediately upon arrival our concerns were washed away. We were greeted by a very pleasant door man who took our bags and handled the valet parking of the car. We then had the pleasure of meeting the very helpful and professional young ladies at the front desk Blair and Katherin were so helpful. We had to extend the stay on one room and even though we booked through a travel site they handled everything as if they personally took our reservation. There was an AC issue with one of the rooms and it was handled quickly by the manager (Michael) and the maintenance man (Milorad). Kiah and Candice were also very helpful with getting us set up in the Gallery one evening for a little birthday celebration. The entire staff deserves to be recognized for their outstanding efforts (if I have forgotten to mention anyone by name I apologize).

The best complement that I can give this hotel and its staff is this... I have never stayed at this hotel before nor have I met any of the staff prior to my stay but they made my family and our friends feel like we were the most important guests at the hotel. And I watched them do the same for each guest that arrived and left.

P.S. They love Crumbs Cupcakes :)

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
GeorgeWashingtonDC, General Manager at Kimpton George Hotel, responded to this review, August 24, 2013
General Manager, Christopher Cannon: Thank you for staying with us, and for your high praise of our team's hard work. We hope that means you'll come back. Cupcakes on us next time!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (350)
  • Korean first
Canberra, Australia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 22, 2013

We prepaid our booking through hotels.com before leaving Australia based largely (as always) on ratings on tripadvisor.com. We also signed up to the Kimpton In-Touch loyalty program.

The Hotel George is located 5 minutes easy walk from Union Station which is great if you don't have your own transport.

The foyer is cool and inviting with flavoured ice water available all day, along with daily newspapers. On arrival we were greeted enthusiastically and there seemed a genuine warmth and appreciation that we chose the George for our six night stay in Washington. We had had a slightly bumpy experience in New York and were looking forward to a more positive leg of our journey.

Check in was handled efficiently and we were delighted to have the room available for early check in (we had provided notification on booking that we would be arriving around midday) and an unexpected upgrade from a queen bed room to a king. This is the first upgrade we've ever received so we were feeling pretty good. We were told about the daily hosted wine hour (a featured red and white wine, sangria or home style lemonade) and the fitness area (24 hours access with room key).

While the hotel boasts modern flourishes in the foyer and mezzanine levels, it is obviously an older-style building, with tasteful but slightly dated finishes. This unfortunately became apparent as our visit went on.

We took our bags up to our room and unpacked. I went into the bathroom and lifted the closed lid on the toilet to find that the water was to the rim of the seat and obviously blocked. We weren't too perturbed by this and on our way out to explore the surrounding area, we let the front desk know. When we returned to the room a couple of hours later, the toilet was back in commission, however an odd smell lingered - it wasn't overly offensive, just slightly off.

We switched on the TV and both sat on the end of the bed; the mattress flew up at the head end, jettisoning the pillows across the room, which amused us. After reorganising ourselves and the bed, hubby sat on the bed end, while I sat near the head on the left hand side. The springs compressed alarmingly with a loud noise. As we flipped through the channels, nearly half had vision or noise interference. After a long day its rather nice to kick back and veg out in front of the telly, so when we headed out for dinner, we asked if there was an issue with the television reception generally (we didn't bother to mention the bed) and were told that an engineer would come to take a look. When he came up to our room, he told us there was a part on order but it was taking some time to arrive.

Day two of our stay, the smell in the room had become a little stronger and by day three it was more identifiable as related to the function of a toilet. As we left for the day's sightseeing, I asked at the front desk if someone could please check the room as the smell was getting stronger and quite unpleasant. We were promised a thorough go through of the room while we were away.

Tired after a long day, we came back to the room and immediately noticed that the smell was still there. On the floor of the bathroom near the toilet pan was a small bag of blue crystals, held in place by a large strip of black duct tape. Our telephone was signalling a message was left by the front desk. Assuming it was about the approach used for the smell in the room, I went downstairs to be told there was something being held the front desk for me. After the girl searched and was unable to locate the item, I asked if the delivery could it have been the parcel left in my room the day prior (which it turned out to be). The phone message was cancelled by the front desk, with an apology for the 24 hour delay in notification despite delivery. When I returned to the room, the phone kept beeping about a message (there was none) and could not be cancelled. By now I was very frustrated with the room and went back to the front desk. I waited while a number of new guests were checked in so that I would not taint their experience with my issues. I then quietly asked for someone to come to our room when convenient so I could discuss the problems being encountered.

Michael, the shift manager, rang me shortly afterward and I briefly went through the issues and asked that someone come to the room to actually see the problems. Michael offered to show me a different king bed room with the same inclusions that we could move to instead. I have never had to move a room before, but hoping that it would sort things out, agreed to the switch. It took us around an hour to pack, move the bags and then unpack into the new room that thankfully had no odour, and where the bed did not creak or sag on the side. We were also graciously offered a complementary breakfast in the adjacent Bis Bistro on the following morning. Michael explained that the George was an older property, due for refurbishment later in 2013 and that the pipes did not always work and sometimes caused odour to seep through the bathtub drain opening. The blue crystals that were duct-taped to the bathroom floor are used to absorb those smells. I also discovered that the television reception problem was not isolated to our set (I perhaps misunderstood the engineer that the waiting part was actually for the whole hotel, not just for our room) but an issue with the new service provider that was impacting all Kimpton hotels. Not so great news when our next 6 night booking is with Kimpton Palomar in Chicago! We were also told not to sit at the end of the bed as they are not attached to the headboard - given this is an obvious place to sit as it is in front of the tv viewing area, then knowing this beforehand might be useful information.

We went to sleep in our new room glad that the drama had passed only to have the telephone signal we had a message by ringing once every 10 or so minutes, from 1am through to 3am, when we finally pulled it from the wall. It appears that our original desk generated message had followed us to our new room. When we were heading out the next morning, I reported the disturbance during the night and asked if someone could make sure the message was cancelled from the phone. When we came through the lobby on our return, the wine hour had commenced. The person serving asked if I was now happy with the new room. When I said that we appreciated being moved but that the phone had kept us awake for 2 hours in the early hours of the morning, the comment was (without apology) well sometimes 'there's ghosts in the machine'.

On the main, the staff we met during our stay were always super friendly and polite. For example, for the 15 seconds you wait to have your room card activated, you are thanked effusively for your patience. Cleaning and support people always smiled and said hello. The rooms are well lit, with a nice amount of natural light and a thoughtful layout.

While I empathised with the myriad of challenges faced by the hotel, as a paying guest I should not have to understand them. If this were a discount chain, then perhaps some of the defects, such as creaky beds, might be expected. But there were some serious failures in service that could not be comped away by a free breakfast. A blocked toilet on check-in, a growing smell from the plumbing, and phones with ghosts or otherwise are not what I expected from my first Kimpton experience.

Excellence in customer service comes not only from saying pleasantries but from successfully managing the expectations of the people who pay not an insubstantial amount to stay with you. If you know there are issues, be up front about them. For example, tell me that you are having a problem with your television reception so that I don't think there's something wrong just with my TV. And make sure that all your front office staff know about the various problems so if someone does report a known issue, the poor engineer isn't sent to fix something that is unfixable. Either attach your beds to the bed-heads or place a sign that warns guests that they are not anchored. Finally, repairs to any guest room with gaffer tape is never a good approach - using it to stick a scented packet of salts in the middle of the floor in an attempt to cover the smell from the plumbing, I'm sorry, there's just no excuse.

I have always tried to ensure I balance any of my TripAdvisor reports fairly and hope that this review can be considered as constructive feedback to Kimpton hotels generally, and the George specifically. We loved Washington and the amazing sights and tastes we experienced. The second room was an improvement and the staff were very polite. The location makes it an ideal place for getting around town.

4 Thank Poss62
GeorgeWashingtonDC, General Manager at Kimpton George Hotel, responded to this review, August 28, 2013
General Manager, Christopher Cannon: Poss62, Thank you for your honest and thorough review of your recent stay at the George. I am embarrassed for all of the issues you encountered and sorry we didn't live up to your expectations of the George and Kimpton Hotels. If you ever return to the States, please reach out to me directly and we will make sure every detail of your next visit is perfect. Chris - chris.cannon@hotelgeorge.com
New York City, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 17, 2013 via mobile

Stayed here in August when there was no sitting in the Capitol and many businesses were slow with people on vacation. It made it a great value stay for a family in a boutique hotel with a great location.
We walked with two kids from the station, and to the Capitol, although that was far enough - cabs to/from downtown also bypassed the women's refuge two blocks to the west.
Nice sized room with two Q beds, and nice lounge areas downstairs.
Kid's menu in Bistro Biz was good - steak or pasta, or could probably have asked for anything they wanted.

Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
General Manager, Christopher Cannon: You know the trick at The George now, Steve: ask for anything you want. I hope to see you again so we can prove it. Thanks for the fantastic review.
Edmond, Oklahoma
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 17, 2013

Fabulous contemporary vibe is distinctly different from the history of DC. When you walk into this hotel, you feel like you're in another city. After seeing the grand, historic monuments, memorials and museums in DC, this hotel is wonderfully vibrant and chic. So, you really don't know it, but after you see and visit the different sites in DC, you feel instantly refreshed by the vibe of this inviting boutique hotel.

But, the vibe is combined with the warmth of a bright, cozy lobby, friendly staff and comfortable rooms. Great beds and throws at the end of the bed make you feel welcomed here. Your return visit to the Hotel George is important to the staff and hotel because your comfort is ensured.

A walk outside and you back in the grand history of Washington, D.C. Otherwise, this hotel would make you feel like your in NYC or LA. The location is very close to the Capital, Smithsonian museums and Union Station. Union Station is a monument as well and has great restaurants and shopping, just in the event you've forgotten something you can't find in most hotels or a boutique hotel.

Just behind the hotel, between the hotel and Union Station, there are two Irish pubs. With the location, the helpful, accommodating staff, and the cool, comforable vibe of the Hotel George you may forget where you are, but you will remember this hotel!

Room Tip: Ask for a room that doesn't overlook the HVAC. This can be avoided, if you simply ask.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank RikiUSA
General Manager, Christopher Cannon: Wow Riki, you really said it all! I know whose reviews I'll be checking from now on. I appreciate this one especially, and look forward to seeing you again soon. Thank you.
Darwin, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 17, 2013

This is a great hotel, the staff were fabulous, it was handy to all the necessary places you need in DC. The room was great, the bed superb, a wonderful stay. The bar was a great place to unwind, and they have a wine hour in the lobby every night.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
GeorgeWashingtonDC, General Manager at Kimpton George Hotel, responded to this review, August 22, 2013
General Manager, Christopher Cannon: Wagaitwag - Thank you for choosing to stay with us at the George and for your positive review. I'm thrilled you enjoyed our staff, rooms, wine hour, bar, and location. If business or pleasure brings you back to DC, we hope to host you again.
Wilmington NC
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 14, 2013

We reserved at Hotel George based on Trip Advisor reviews, and were not disappointed. It is very conveniently located between the Capitol and Union Station, so close to metro but also walkable from many Smithsonian locations and other spots. The staff was friendly and helpful with advice (metro, walk, or taxi? etc.). And don't miss the complimentary wine hour - the sangria was terrific and they even gave printed copies of the recipe! Dinner at the Bistro Bis was lovely with great menu choices, and breakfast at the corner bakery was super and inexpensive. We will visit again!

1 Thank JulieBWilmingtonNC
GeorgeWashingtonDC, General Manager at Kimpton George Hotel, responded to this review, August 15, 2013
General Manager, Christopher Cannon: Thank You JulieB. We are privileged to have your business and excited that you took the time out of your busy day to write a review about the George. With 126 hotels to choice from in our nation’s capitol we strive to make each guest stay a memorable one (in a good way of course). I hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back personally when you return.
savannah
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 13, 2013

Nice boutique hotel -- our first time staying at a Kimpton, but won't be our last. On the corner is a great spot for breakfast or lunch so you don't have to pay big bucks for breakfast at the hotel restaurant. Although the restaurant, Bistro Bis is fabulous for dinner and would highly recommend. This is a great location, close to Union Station, we walked to the mall and Smithsonians every day, Penn quarter for dinner one night, eastern market... or you can cab it as there are cabs everywhere.

1 Thank Karen O
General Manager, Christopher Cannon: Thank You Karen for giving the George, a Kimpton Hotel, your first try. Super stoked to read you had a great stay. Can’t wait to welcome you back and met you in person. Enjoy the rest of your summer.