“Favorite Capitol Hill Hotel”

Kimpton George Hotel
Ranked #20 of 140 Hotels in Washington DC
GreenLeadersGold level
Redlands, California
“Favorite Capitol Hill Hotel”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 15, 2013

I stay on Capitol Hill for meetings a week at a time about four times a year, and Hotel George is by far my favorite choice. The staff is exceedingly welcoming and I always feel like I am truly at home. When I checked in this past trip I had missed the wine hour by over an hour, but Edgardo offered me a glass of wine anyway and also a Vitamin Water for my seventeen year old son. Very gracious.

The rooms are large and nicely decorated. The bathrobes are comfortable and relaxing is easy with the free WiFi and $10 mini-bar comp. The hotel is a quick walk from Union Station and offers convenient access to everything on the Hill. I would be sincerely disappointed to stay at any of the other Hill hotels again.

Room Tip: Room on the front of the hotel offer the most daylight and best view.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
GeorgeWashingtonDC, General Manager at Kimpton George Hotel, responded to this review, March 22, 2013
General Manager, Christopher Cannon: Thank You Jill for your wonderful comments and support of the George. We appreciate your business and I hope to welcome you back soon

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (350)
  • Korean first
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 14, 2013

Following the reviews on tripadvisor, I decided to book this hotel for my D.C. weekend train trip. I'm very happy that I did. Although I was a little disoriented at first coming out of Union Station, I quickly found the hotel. It is a short distance away, about a 3 minutes walk. The front desk staff was very friendly and welcoming, especially Felicia who printed out some directions for me so I could walk to the archives. The bed was the most comfortable I've ever been in. I wish I could have taken it home with me. The bathroom is huge and very attractive in white marble and black decor. I didn't take advantage of the free wine reception nor the restaurant which is very expensive. If you're on a budget or even if you're not, there are lots of options for dining at Union Station. Starbuck is also one block away. The neighborhood felt very safe. (It was dark by the time I got back from the archives.)And you can easily get around town using the Metro from Union Station. My only criticism is the doormen who weren't very attentive for the most part. I didn't need their help but they also never offered until the last day. Hotel George wasn't my cheapest option but because the rate was reduced and because I became an Intouch member, I feel I made an excellent choice. I would do it again but would probably wait for a deal instead of their highest rates.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank ezwalker11
GeorgeWashingtonDC, General Manager at Kimpton George Hotel, responded to this review, March 15, 2013
General Manager, Christopher Cannon: Thank you Chi Town for your business and sharing your great experience while staying at the George. Maybe you can reach out to the guy below from New York and convince him to come back. I hope to have the opportunity to welcome you when you return to D.C. Thanks again.
New York City, New York
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 14, 2013

I was in DC for the night for a meeting and chose the George because of its proximity to Union Station. What a mistake.
First off, most of the rooms in the hotel basically face each other across a dark shaft way (10-12 feet apart), which I thought would be okay, as I thought it would be quiet. I settled into bed to get some sleep and soon realized the parade of horribles that I was in for.
To begin with, the toilet "ran" every 30-40 minutes. I spent about 10 minutes seeing what could be done, but nothing alleviated the noise. Even with the bathroom door shut, the noise was loud enough to wake me. It was now 11:30 and the prospect of packing up to change rooms was not attractive. I figured I would just deal with it.
Then, the HVAC unit kicked on (it was a cold night, about 37 degrees, so heat was a must). The unit ran okay, but the issue arose when it would shut off. It sounded like an old clunker car, which when you shut it off, it spits, sputters, burbs and runs for another 15-20 seconds. The only thing missing was the back fire. After the third time of the junker HVAC unit waking me, I just shut it off entirely, and dealt with the cold night, figuring, it's was now 1:45 am, at least I'd get a few good hours of shut eye.
I was wrong. At 5:45 am, a garbage truck backed into the shaft way alley -- yes, you know the sound of a truck backing up -- "beep, beep, beep . . . .". The truck spent the next 20 minutes loading and compressing the garbage. Beyond annoying.
Oh, and did I mention that the bed was generally lousy?
All in all one of the worst hotel overnight experiences I have had.
I expected a bit more for $450 per night. BTW, the rack rate on the room is $1,200 a night. Total rip off.
Don't stay there.

Room Tip: Don't stay there.
4 Thank Mike H
General Manager, Christopher Cannon: Ouch, solid right hook but we can take it. My sincere apologies. We take all comments provided to us very seriously and will investigate all the feedback you provided and take any necessary actions deemed necessary. We always try our best every day to ensure our rooms are perfect. I hope you will let us prove this to you and hope you give us another shot at redemption in the future. Thank you again for your business.
Summit, New Jersey, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 12, 2013

Hotel George in D.C. is a great boutique hotel. My room was quiet and well designed. All of the staff are friendly, solicitous, professional, and go out of their way to help and welcome you. Bistro Bis "next door" is also great for drinks or any meal. I will definitely return to Hotel George next time I visit my son in D.C.

Room Tip: My room looking out on E Street was lovely, and the shades are great because you can open them from...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
GeorgeWashingtonDC, General Manager at Kimpton George Hotel, responded to this review, March 13, 2013
General Manager, Chris Cannon: Barbara W, we know that size does matter - so we are glad you found The George ;-) We look forward to welcoming you back for many more relaxing stays and delicious meals. Thank you very much for your business and loyalty to The George - A Kimpton Hotel.
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 10, 2013

This was my second trip to the Hotel George, and I again enjoyed my stay. The staff is extremely friendly and helpful, my room was large, clean and well furnished, and the quirky Kimpton touches were evident. My only criticism has to do with the restaurant and room service; neither were available until 7:00 am. For business travelers with early meetings, this is not convenient.mthe room service breakfast menu was also quite limited.

One other note: The location was perfect for me, as I had a meeting at a building nearby. For others, however, it is a bit off the beaten path, though close to the train station.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
General Manager, Chris Cannon: Mark P, we are stoked to read that you had a fun time at The George - this is the type of exceptional service that we strive for. Please visit us again soon, and we will be sure to keep the fun quirky Kimpton touches flowing. Thank you for your business.
Tampa, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 8, 2013

Though the weather outside was very cold and blustery, our experience at the hotel was very warm & welcoming. All the staff we met at the Hotel were very friendly and helpful. When we were having a problem with our plane tickets Edgardo (front desk) patiently & pleasantly helped us out. The room was very clean, quiet and the size very adequate for the 3 of us (we had two queen beds) and we were pleased with the size of the bathroom.. As an InTouch member we enjoyed the free WiFi and $10 credit to the mini bar. Great location for us! - walking distance to Union Station, metro and DC sites. We also enjoyed our dining experience @ Bistro Bis (the restaurant @ the hotel) The food & service were excellent. We will definitely stay at the Hotel George again! TPAJo

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
General Manager, Chris Cannon: TPAJo, I was very pleased to read that you were able to experience The George's one of a kind guest service first hand. Edgardo is certainly a "Rockstar" on Team George, and we are very lucky to have him. Thank you so much for taking the time to share your awesome experience, and for Edgar's shout-out! We hope to see you again soon.
Connecticut
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 6, 2013

We visited DC a few weeks ago and were pleasantly suprised by Hotel George. It is within walking distance to most DC sites (including Union Station). The front desk was 100% helpful with everything we needed (including letting us leave our bags after check out, free breath mints, and answering questions). We didn't expect to use the lounge, but it was chilly outside and we found ourselves enjoying it a few times. The room was well stocked, a comfortable temperature, and a good size. We will definitely stay at this hotel the next time we are visiting DC.
The oatmeal with fruit that we ordered from room service was delicous and the new standard that I will measure oatmeal.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank topherbw
General Manager, Chris Cannon: topherbw, I have to agree with you on the stellar oatmeal & fruit from Bistro Bis ;-) We are very happy to read that we provided an exceptionally comfortable stay for you during your recent visit. We look forward to creating many more perfect stays for you here at The George. Thank you for your business.