“GREAT TIME AT HOTEL GEORGE”

Kimpton George Hotel
Ranked #21 of 142 Hotels in Washington DC
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed September 21, 2011

Stayed here in September, 2011. Room was great and bathrooms very clean. Staff was great with helping us with travel plans for site seeing and was always trying to make sure our stay was great in DC. Loved the great wine tasting every night in the lobby. Favorite hotel to stay in Washington DC.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled with family
GeorgeWashingtonDC, General Manager at Kimpton George Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded October 3, 2011

General Manager, Christopher Cannon: Thank you Louis C for taking the time to share your great experience at the George. I appreciate your recognition of our cleanliness and attention to detail. It was great meeting you at our hosted wine hour and I hope to see you back at the George in the near future.

Reviewed September 21, 2011

The nice part about the Kimpton Hotel chain is that it's very pet friendly (food and water bowl at the entrance is a cool touch). Service at the hotel was friendly and helpful, the rooms were fairly spacious, comfortable and had a good range of in-room amenities. The location is great because it's only a 3-minute walk from the main train station and about 10 minutes to ChinaTown and other major shopping outlets. My only gripe is that there are a lot of homeless/shifty people around this area so you feel a bit uneasy when walking through the area at night. But for the price we paid ($160 per night) and the inclusion of breakfast, this was good value for money.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Jerry H

General Manager, Christopher Cannon: Thank you Gerry from Down under. Our location is perfect for anyone that wants to be close to all of the D.C. major attractions with convenience to all of the major subways and Union Station just one block away. Hope to welcome you back soon

Reviewed September 21, 2011

If the Hotel George were an actress, people would say she is "well preserved." You can see her age, the carpets are worn and the fixtures are a little bit dated. But it's clean, the service is great, and the price and location, at least for us, were excellent.

A block away is one of the stations for the Capital Bikeshare program, which is a really great way to get around to the Mall and museums... the main problem we had was finding an empty spot at the other stations on the Mall to park them. This is a big problem!

Bistro Bis in the hotel --we had breakfast there and it was $40. I had french toast, which was literally the lightest french toast I've ever had. How do they do that? My husband had a ham and cheese omelet. We had coffee and tea. That's it. $40. It doesn't help that DC taxes are 10%, but it's a pricey joint. There aren't a lot of options unless you go over to Union Station or up to the Chinatown area (about a 15 minute walk). We did walk to Jaleo, a Jose Andres restaurant, and it was also pricey but really delicious.

I had trouble with the wifi at the hotel --it wouldn't let me register, so the front desk gave me a cheater login, and then it wouldn't load some key pages, like Yahoo mail. It worked on my husband's ipad but for 4 days it would never work on my apple laptop that i use every day. So, weirdness.

We had the noise that's common for hotels, especially older ones. You could hear the doors of other rooms slamming, because they are so heavy, and you could hear people talking in the hall, the vacuum running upstairs. Housekeeping came relatively early (around 9 am) so definitely put up your do not disturb sign if you want to sleep in.

Overall, we were very happy with our stay. It wasn't super luxe, but we don't need that.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 19, 2011

Stayed here in September, 2011. Room was clean, spacious, and comfortable. Staff was super nice. It rained all 3 days we were there and I never left the hotel without someone, either the bellboy or a front desk person making sure I had an umbrella.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled on business
Reviewed September 17, 2011

My wife and I spent the weekend at Hotel George on Capitol Hill. It was a terrific experience! The hotel is relatively small with a very warm and intimate feeling inside. It's a great location, within blocks of The Capitol, near the subway, a short walk to The Mall (and a half block from Starbucks :-) The staff was very friendly, knowledgeable and accommodating. The French restaurant "Bistro bis" is outstanding...rivals the best in Paris or La Côte d'Azur. We'll definitely be back!

Room Tip: We had a room on the back and it was quiet.
  • Stayed: September 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 15, 2011

Stayed here late August, 2011. No complaints. We checked in very late on a Thursday night and had no problems. We had great customer service. The room was spacious, comfortable. Bathroom shower has built-in shampoo, conditioner and soap dispenser. The bar has great drinks if you need a nightcap.

• Stayed: August 2011
Reviewed September 14, 2011

My husband and I have stayed at Hotel George on two different trips. The hotel has a great location just a couple of blocks from Union Station, which has a Metro stop. The Metro is one the easiest and cheapest ways to get around DC. The hotel is also a short walk to The Mall. I love to get up early and take a walk around the monuments and museums. There is always ice water waiting for you in the lobby and there is a wine reception in the evenings. The standard king room is very nice sized, probably average for a hotel in a big city. The room is modern and comfortable with white linens and sleek wood. The bathroom is nice, with great products and a full sized hairdryer (love that I don't ahve to pack mine!) I've never had a bad night's sleep at Hotel George.
I would suggest joining the Kimpton rewards program. I think it offers free wi-fi and a credit at you room's mini-bar. I now look for Kimpton hotels whenever we travel. Last year we stayed at the Hotel Monaco in Alexandria, VA and it was wonderful as well.
I'm looking to stay at one of their NYC hotels this winter, and I'm hoping that the Kimpton hotels NYC live up to the DC area ones.

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled as a couple