“Excellent Chinese ...”

Cuisines: Chinese
Dining options: Delivery, Reservations
Neighborhood: Dupont Circle
Reviewed August 6, 2017 via mobile

Excellent Chinese restaurant located in central DC. This is some of the best Chinese food I have had in a long time. A must try if in the D.C. area.

Reviewed July 15, 2017 via mobile

We approached this restaurant with the knowledge that it had been recommended by several different outlets, and since we had spent the past two days gorging on American beef and bottomless drink we thought it time for a different cuisine.

One positive point of the restaurant is the excellent service. Waitresses lined the edges of the rooms almost as if they wished to pounce upon you whenever your glass emptied. The head server was a very kind gentleman and all the food was served promptly, with a fairly suspicious speed if you catch my drift.

Screening through the reviews of this restaurant, I have noticed that the vast majority of positive reviews are written by Americans. As a friend of mine once said different cuisines change themselves to fit the nation they inhabit. To our taste the food was bland and lacked the powerful flavour that you would associate with a good Chinese dish. It simply didn't have the explosion of flavour that would warrant a second visit. The portions were so large, even a 1950s diner would be proud. Some of the preprepared main dishes were adorned with freshly cooked vegetables, in a veiled attempt to mask it's reheated elements.

The wine selection was fairly poor, stick to beer or soft drinks if you can.

Overall it may be because we have been spoiled with good Chinese food in the past, but this restaurant would disappoint those coming from Europe in terms of flavour and quality. Whether it rates well compared with other American-Chinese restaurants, I don't know. But in order to captivate the tourist market, it must reduce the bulk and add a little refinement into each dish.

Reviewed July 12, 2017

So I asked my summer Intern who is from China to pick an authentic restaurant for the staff to go for lunch - and she said Sichuan. It was fun having her do all the ordering and she enjoyed it too. Okay, the food and service was excellent and we loved the booth they placed the four of us in.

Reviewed June 6, 2017

I have never left this place disappointed. The food is great. I would recommend that mapo tofu and the spicy crispy chicken. The food always comes out quickly and the staff is attentive. Very reasonably priced.

Reviewed May 27, 2017

I just returned from a month in China and the Sichuan Pavillion provided just as good food as I have grown accoustomed to. The shrimp was scrumptious. Beautiful decor and friendly staff.