“I LOVE this Place!!!!!”

William Penn House
Lewisburg, West Virginia
“I LOVE this Place!!!!!”
Reviewed January 21, 2014

I was Google Searching to find the Quaker Meeting House in Washington DC and was delighted to find the William Penn House. No Smoking, No Drinking, No Television with Morning Meditation Available. Perfection!!!! The Most Interesting Guest stay there. I met a 77 year old woman going to a Protest at the White House. This was enough to make my Activist Quaker Heart dance with Joy. I stayed there in July of 2013 and returned again in January of 2014.

Room Tip: The Ten Bed Dorm is just as good as the Four Bed Dorm in my not so humble opinion,
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
2 Thank Star4Liberty
William Penn H, Manager at William Penn House, responded to this review, January 27, 2014
We're so glad you found us, thanks for writing a review! It's great to hear appreciation for how we try to foster community through the simple accommodations, comfortable guest living room and of course the shared breakfast. We love the mix of backgrounds guests bring to the William Penn House, and how many breakfast conversations are about making the world a better place!

Couples
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed December 26, 2013

I had never been to DC before, but I had an extra day to tag on to a business trip. I picked this place for location, price and the tripadvisor reviews. What a lucky find! The facilities were adequate to my needs - I wont quibble about getting bumped from the 4 bunk to the 10 bunk room to accommodate a group - but I do wish they had bigger lockers, I could barely fit my lap top in it! But it really is about the location. It's an easy and charming walk from the Eastern Market stop on the metro - there is also the most ridiculously funky breakfast dive on the corner. There are bars and restaurants and a little market, not to mention the Eastern Market nearby. And best of all, its about 4 blocks to the Capital, the Library of Congress, 2 blocks from the Shakespeare library. I could not be happier with this choice and will definitely come back.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled solo
3 Thank airportschlep
Thanks for taking the time to write a review, and for being so understanding about switching rooms. I'm glad you liked enjoyed our Capitol Hill neighborhood, and found Jimmy T's!
Ann Arbor, MI
Reviewed April 29, 2013

Enjoyed the friendly staff, comfy bunk, and most of all, the location on Capitol Hill. Within 10-mins' walk from Eastern Market, this place is a dream come true. I enjoyed meeting other guests and taking in the quiet 1/2-hour Walking in the Light from 7:30-8 AM. Overall comfy space.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
6 Thank VelhoSorriso
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed November 2, 2011

I was in town for two days on business and I brought my 13 year old daughter along. We chose to stay at WPH after reading the reviews of fellow travelers and we were not disappointed at all. The accommodations were clean, the staff was friendly, the location was excellent, and the experience was unique! Thank you, WPH.

Room Tip: Any room with other travelers.
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled on business
9 Thank Sandradawson
Worcester, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 19, 2011

First experience of staying in a hostel and wasn't disappointed. Breakfast was self serve cereals, toast hot coffee/tea, beds were comfortable and shower was hot.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled with friends
8 Thank MagicMichelle
Madison, Wisconsin
Reviewed November 3, 2010

The William Penn House is a quiet but friendly hostel with reasonable prices, clean accommodations, and the best location for all the Federal sights.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled solo
7 Thank delsas
Walla Walla, WA
Reviewed November 2, 2010

A fellow Quaker told me about this hostel. Like others reviewers I found the staff to be friendly and helpful. The location is a big plus. It's a 20 minute walk from Union Station and it's located about 6 blocks east of the Capitol Building, easy walking distance to the National Mall. I was able to always find at least one of the three bathrooms open.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled solo