“Great Location, Location, Location”
Review of William Penn House

William Penn House
William Penn House
Reviewed April 29, 2013

Enjoyed the friendly staff, comfy bunk, and most of all, the location on Capitol Hill. Within 10-mins' walk from Eastern Market, this place is a dream come true. I enjoyed meeting other guests and taking in the quiet 1/2-hour Walking in the Light from 7:30-8 AM. Overall comfy space.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled solo
6  Thank VelhoSorriso

Reviewed November 2, 2011

I was in town for two days on business and I brought my 13 year old daughter along. We chose to stay at WPH after reading the reviews of fellow travelers and we were not disappointed at all. The accommodations were clean, the staff was friendly, the location was excellent, and the experience was unique! Thank you, WPH.

Room Tip: Any room with other travelers.
  • Stayed: October 2011, traveled on business
9  Thank Sandradawson
Reviewed April 19, 2011

First experience of staying in a hostel and wasn't disappointed. Breakfast was self serve cereals, toast hot coffee/tea, beds were comfortable and shower was hot.

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled with friends
8  Thank MagicMichelle
Reviewed November 3, 2010

The William Penn House is a quiet but friendly hostel with reasonable prices, clean accommodations, and the best location for all the Federal sights.

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled solo
7  Thank delsas
Reviewed November 2, 2010

A fellow Quaker told me about this hostel. Like others reviewers I found the staff to be friendly and helpful. The location is a big plus. It's a 20 minute walk from Union Station and it's located about 6 blocks east of the Capitol Building, easy walking distance to the National Mall. I was able to always find at least one of the three bathrooms open.

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled solo
6  Thank Jubilado
Reviewed August 13, 2009

I stayed here on a one-night layover after a trans-Atlantic flight in a four-bed women's dorm. As the other reviewers said, the staff here are wonderful, the value is great and the location is second to none. I slept well in my bunk bed; my roommates were quiet and courteous. I even got up early enough to attend their 7:30 am Quaker worship service, at which you simply sit in silence and meditate - a tradition I appreciated. The breakfast was simple: bread (with a toaster), jams and peanut butter, a few cereals, a mixed fruit bowl, packets of Quaker (appropriately enough) instant oatmeal, coffee and tea. It was plenty for me. Clean linens and a towel and washcloth are provided, and the rooms are air-conditioned. The house is beautiful, too, and even has a library.

My main problem was that my four-bed dorm shared just one tiny bathroom (toilet and shower) with a neighboring eight-bed dorm. Fortunately, I was extremely jet-lagged and was able to take my shower at an odd hour in the early morning; I don't see how this system normally works, especially when the rooms are full. Of greater concern to me was the fact that the bathroom was, unlike the rest of the house, not at all clean, which is inevitable when so many people are using it.

The limited check-in time (9pm, though they do offer to keep the office open later for a fee) and the limited breakfast time (8-9 am only) may make this place inconvenient for some travelers, and the lack of lockers may make some uncomfortable, though it felt perfectly safe to me. If you're looking for inexpensive hostel-style accommodations in DC and need a later check-in/earlier breakfast/lockers/etc., I would suggest checking out the Hostelling International hostel, where I have also stayed and which I also highly recommend for travelers of all ages.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled solo
5  Thank seyahateden
Reviewed August 4, 2009

I was a solo female traveler and I had a great time at William Penn House. The staff is very friendly, the building is clean, the beds are confortable. Only one bathroom for 10 girls, but I took a shower at night so I didn't have to wait in the morning. They offer fresh towels and linens. I could tell it was fresh out of the dry cleaner. A+

They serve a great free breakfast of oatmeal, toast, PB&J, cereals, orange juice and milk. There's also free coffee and tea. There's a fridge, shelves for your food. There's also a microwave. Very clean and big tables for breakfast. The free breakfast really cut on my expenses and since most of DC attractions are free (musuems, Capitol, Pentagon, etc), I spent about $20 a day during my stay!

The hostel is at a 10 minute walk from Capitol South metro station. I wish it was a bit closer since we do a lot of walking in DC, but it was still fine. Since it's near a metro station, you can easily go anywhere in the city for a very low cost (daily metro passes are $8, weekly passes are about $22).

They don't have lockers in the room, but I really felt safe leaving my luggages there. You can lock with zip lockers if you wish. But I felt really safe and didn't feel I needed to.

I recommended this hostel for any type of travellers, solo, family, groups, couple. I saw all kind of people in this great house. Thank you William Penn House and staff!

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled solo