“Awesome, and green!”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Founding Farmers

Founding Farmers
Reserve with OpenTable
Founding Farmers is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #40 of 3,196 Restaurants in Washington DC
Cuisines: American
Good for: Bar scene, Families with children, Large groups, Local cuisine, Kids, Special occasions
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Brunch, Late Night, Lunch, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighborhood: Foggy Bottom - GWU - West End
Cross street: 20th St. / Pennsylvania Ave. (Foggy Bottom)
Transit: There are two Metro stops within 3 blocks of the restaurant, Orange/Blue lines at Farragut West or Foggy Bottom/GWU. The red DC Circulator bus Georgetown/Union Station line stops on Pennsylvania Ave. at 21st street, as well as on K Street and on 19th, all just one block away.
Description: Founding Farmers, the Greenest Restaurant in DC, is owned by the more than 40,000 family farmers of the NDFU, serving American inspired real food and drink with an emphasis and focus on cooking from scratch. While our restaurant is supplied by hundreds of family farms everywhere, that doesn't mean we know every farm, and that doesn't mean we never have to buy product from the traditional (corporate) supply chain, but it does mean we're working hard to direct our purchasing dollars where it aligns with our values. We're serving the best food we can, made from scratch in our kitchens every day. Our innovative, American dishes are made primarily with pure ingredients honoring the farmers and their hard-earned bounty.
Eureka, Missouri
“Awesome, and green!”
Reviewed January 22, 2014

I'm very interested in local foods, environmental concerns, etc. and had heard about Founding Farmers on a recent trip to D.C. It took 2 days to get a reservation, but was definitely worth the wait. Great food, tremendous waitress--I'll be back!

• Visited December 2013

• Korean first
Scotland
“Just great food”
Reviewed January 22, 2014

Despite their rather chaotic booking system (or lack thereof) we ate at FF a lot whilst in DC.
The food is really good – huge choice of menu and everything is tasty.
Their homemade fruit sodas and rickeys are gorgeous.
Service can be a bit hit or miss: some staff are brilliant, others not so good.
The cornbread skillet is a must, as is the Yankee Pot Roast and the fried chicken & waffles (you need to be hungry though!)
I rarely had room for dessert, but their selection of freshly baked warm cookies is terrific and you can always take away any you can’t eat.

Visited June 2013
1 Thank RedSoxGirl_46
Nashville, Tennessee
“Sit at the bar and watch the magic happen”
Reviewed January 21, 2014

We visited with several friends, and while waiting at the bar for a table, we ordered drinks. I had the Blackberry Whiskey Sour...and I have no idea why I had never thought of that before! The bartender made the sour mix by hand with egg white, and muddled blackberries into the bottom of the glass before mixing. It was one of the best drinks I've ever had...hands down. Dinner was also exceptional, but the drinks really stand out in my mind. Entrees are reasonably priced (considering the downtown location). Drinks are pretty expensive though.

Visited December 2013
1 Thank RamblingManTN
Georgia
“Don't go without reservations”
Reviewed January 20, 2014

After being told that reservations were not necessary, we paid for a cab ride to the restaurant only to learn that the next open table would be a 1 1/2 to 2 hour wait. We waited. The food was good but the wait was not. Don't be fooled by the receptionist who encourages you to come without reservations. It will likely be a long wait and I'm not sure it's worth the wait or the cost.

Visited January 2014
New York City, New York
“Holy Homestead!”
Reviewed January 20, 2014

I plan on going here every time I visit DC. They have the best Mac and Cheese I HAVE EVER HAD...and I lived in Texas for 15 years. :)

Visited January 2014