“Sit at the bar and watch the magic happen”
Review of Founding Farmers

Founding Farmers
Reserve with OpenTable
Founding Farmers is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #40 of 3,322 Restaurants in Washington DC
Cuisines: American
Good for: Local cuisine, Bar scene, Business meetings
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Breakfast, Dinner, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighborhood: Foggy Bottom - GWU - West End
Cross street: 20th St. / Pennsylvania Ave. (Foggy Bottom)
Transit: There are two Metro stops within 3 blocks of the restaurant, Orange/Blue lines at Farragut West or Foggy Bottom/GWU. The red DC Circulator bus Georgetown/Union Station line stops on Pennsylvania Ave. at 21st street, as well as on K Street and on 19th, all just one block away.
Description: Founding Farmers, the Greenest Restaurant in DC, is owned by the more than 40,000 family farmers of the NDFU, serving American inspired real food and drink with an emphasis and focus on cooking from scratch. While our restaurant is supplied by hundreds of family farms everywhere, that doesn't mean we know every farm, and that doesn't mean we never have to buy product from the traditional (corporate) supply chain, but it does mean we're working hard to direct our purchasing dollars where it aligns with our values. We're serving the best food we can, made from scratch in our kitchens every day. Our innovative, American dishes are made primarily with pure ingredients honoring the farmers and their hard-earned bounty.
Reviewed January 21, 2014

We visited with several friends, and while waiting at the bar for a table, we ordered drinks. I had the Blackberry Whiskey Sour...and I have no idea why I had never thought of that before! The bartender made the sour mix by hand with egg white, and muddled blackberries into the bottom of the glass before mixing. It was one of the best drinks I've ever had...hands down. Dinner was also exceptional, but the drinks really stand out in my mind. Entrees are reasonably priced (considering the downtown location). Drinks are pretty expensive though.

1  Thank RamblingManTN

Reviewed January 20, 2014

After being told that reservations were not necessary, we paid for a cab ride to the restaurant only to learn that the next open table would be a 1 1/2 to 2 hour wait. We waited. The food was good but the wait was not. Don't be fooled by the receptionist who encourages you to come without reservations. It will likely be a long wait and I'm not sure it's worth the wait or the cost.

Reviewed January 20, 2014

I plan on going here every time I visit DC. They have the best Mac and Cheese I HAVE EVER HAD...and I lived in Texas for 15 years. :)

1  Thank ZOELADYFLETCHER
Reviewed January 20, 2014

While in DC on business, I stopped in early for breakfast and was treated to some of the best the best eggs and hashbrowns I've had. Simply prepared, hot and very fresh. Didn't break the bank either. A delightful alternative to the usual grab-and-go morning fare. Only regret was not having the time to return for lunch or dinner.

1  Thank Mjsomaha
Reviewed January 20, 2014

We ate at Founding Farmers in a party of two for a late lunch this past Saturday. We closed a reservation through open table.com . Friends had given pretty stellar reviews of this place, and their impressions were certainly accurate. Founding Farmers is a creative melange of farm-to-table All-American recipes with the freshest of ingredients. We probably ordered way too much because the menu was truly exciting: fried green tomatoes, heirloom tomatoes and arugula pesto farm bread,Farmer's salad, skirt steak enchilada and fork tender pork ribs (they provided nice take-home boxes and a paper bag in which to tote them). We can't recommend this place enough!!!