“Fun for Vegetarian Farmers, but Hunters as Well!”
Review of Founding Farmers

Founding Farmers
Reserve with OpenTable
Founding Farmers is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #33 of 3,369 Restaurants in Washington DC
Cuisines: American
Good for: Bar scene, Business meetings, Local cuisine
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighborhood: Foggy Bottom - GWU - West End
Cross street: 20th St. / Pennsylvania Ave. (Foggy Bottom)
Transit: There are two Metro stops within 3 blocks of the restaurant, Orange/Blue lines at Farragut West or Foggy Bottom/GWU. The red DC Circulator bus Georgetown/Union Station line stops on Pennsylvania Ave. at 21st street, as well as on K Street and on 19th, all just one block away.
Description: Founding Farmers, the Greenest Restaurant in DC, is owned by the more than 40,000 family farmers of the NDFU, serving American inspired real food and drink with an emphasis and focus on cooking from scratch. While our restaurant is supplied by hundreds of family farms everywhere, that doesn't mean we know every farm, and that doesn't mean we never have to buy product from the traditional (corporate) supply chain, but it does mean we're working hard to direct our purchasing dollars where it aligns with our values. We're serving the best food we can, made from scratch in our kitchens every day. Our innovative, American dishes are made primarily with pure ingredients honoring the farmers and their hard-earned bounty.
Reviewed October 22, 2013

Great food options for the vegetarians among us; Fried Green Tomatoes, Cauliflower Steak and Corn Bread were all a hit, even for the meat loving types. (Skirt steak was also very yummy.) Interesting drinks, including a very spicy and interesting La Paloma if you are over 21 and phosphates and fizzie drinks for those not yet of age. Everything we had was nicely prepared and the service was light hearted and helpful. Save room for dessert if you can. Only caution (just so guests are prepared) is that it can be noisey and you might sit at a long "farm" table with people you don't know. Adds to the festive atmosphere but only if you are comfortable with that type of dining. Definitely returning on future visits to D.C.

1  Thank Gail S
Write a ReviewReviews (6,006)

Reviewed October 22, 2013

Founding Farmers is a must for anyone visiting or living in the DC metro area. Their bar has been ranked amongst DC's best for 2 years in a row (try the Cucumber Delight).

Great food as well. I've never left this place disappointed and visitors to the area always love it.

Reviewed October 22, 2013

Terrific food and nice atmosphere. Make reservations in advance as it can fill up. I had the plank salmon with 2 sides which were all delicious.

Reviewed October 22, 2013

This is a fantastic restaurant with great food, lovely atmosphere, and a whole menu for vegetarians! The regular menu indicates vegetarian options but there is a separate menu that you might have to ask your waiter for

Reviewed October 21, 2013

We were coming to visit for GWU Parents Weekend. We heard Founding Farmers was very popular and good. I called a couple weeks in advance to make a reservation, and was surprised that the only time I could get a table all weekend was at 9:30pm! So, we killed time until 9:30. At 9:30, the restaurant was still very full. The noise level was such that I could barely hear my family members sitting next to/across from me. I ordered a glass of Cabernet, and only had two options: Australian or Washington State. So I chose Washington State. It tasted very young!!! The meal was average. For $26, I got a 10-oz prime rib that same with macaroni and cheese and one side dish. I ordered green beans as a side, and even though they came with a slice of lemon on top (nice garnish), the beans weren't trimmed and so were a bit spiky to eat because of that. I've had better prime rib at weddings. There was very little meat on this piece. Dessert was good (chocolate cake with ice cream).

Probably will choose somewhere else to eat next time, mainly because of the noise level.

1  Thank Marieeddy9