“Great for breakfast too”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Founding Farmers

Founding Farmers
Reserve with OpenTable
Founding Farmers is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #39 of 3,200 Restaurants in Washington DC
Cuisines: American
Good for: Large groups, Kids, Special occasions, Families with children, Local cuisine, Bar scene
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Breakfast, Brunch, Lunch, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighborhood: Foggy Bottom - GWU - West End
Cross street: 20th St. / Pennsylvania Ave. (Foggy Bottom)
Transit: There are two Metro stops within 3 blocks of the restaurant, Orange/Blue lines at Farragut West or Foggy Bottom/GWU. The red DC Circulator bus Georgetown/Union Station line stops on Pennsylvania Ave. at 21st street, as well as on K Street and on 19th, all just one block away.
Description: Founding Farmers, the Greenest Restaurant in DC, is owned by the more than 40,000 family farmers of the NDFU, serving American inspired real food and drink with an emphasis and focus on cooking from scratch. While our restaurant is supplied by hundreds of family farms everywhere, that doesn't mean we know every farm, and that doesn't mean we never have to buy product from the traditional (corporate) supply chain, but it does mean we're working hard to direct our purchasing dollars where it aligns with our values. We're serving the best food we can, made from scratch in our kitchens every day. Our innovative, American dishes are made primarily with pure ingredients honoring the farmers and their hard-earned bounty.
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Great for breakfast too”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 4, 2012

I've been there many times, but this was the first time for breakfast/brunch. They have a very interesting menu with lots of choices. I "pigged" out at the waitress' suggestion and got the Bananas Foster French Toast: it was very good, but I wish they had a split option of eggs and French toast since it got to be too much sugar halfway through. The blueberry pancakes were good, but nothing special. The eggs and hash with goat cheese was excellent. They have fresh squeezed juices as well.

The key idea with Founding Farmers is that they only serve sustainable food and support farmers. Since they get fewer requests for decaf coffee, they don't serve it--that part I still don't understand.

We had a reservation for 9 am, but there was a long line waiting outside when it opened, and we still had to wait in the line. But it moved fast, about 5 minutes, despite about 50 people or more waiting to get in on a Sunday morning.

• Visited December 2012

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
“My favorite!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 4, 2012 via mobile

I would eat here everyday.. Especially weekends! I crave their brunch on a regular basis, as well as their chicken & waffles, cucumber & cantaloupe drink and MAPLE BROWN SUGAR BACON LOLLIES!! Sooo good. Their deviled eggs- amazing. We've never had a meal we didn't like from FF. it's our "special occasion" place because it's my absolute fav! Now, If only they weren't so busy.. :)

1 Thank NB2395
Jersey City, New Jersey
“Really good food”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 3, 2012

Being a vegetarian I was amazed how flavor full and tasty the veggie dish which I ordered was. They also seemed to have a good selection for vegetarians. The service was a bit slow but we went at a real rush hour so it was ok. One tip would be to make a reservation in advance. Good atmosphere and good food.

Visited December 2012
San Diego, California
“Breakfast Review”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 30, 2012

I have heard rave reviews about Founding Farmers' brunch/breakfast, but I didn't have a chance to try it until today. I'm happy to report that all those reviews were right; Founding Farmers does breakfast right. It's my new favorite brunch spot!

I went with my boyfriend and between the two of us, we got an order of carrot cake pancakes, french toast, and the fried chicken and waffle. French toast is my favorite breakfast food and I have been disappointed again and again, but I was pleasantly surprised with FF's. FF's version is light, toasted to perfection, and the bread has a good chew. It isn't custardy in the middle so if you like that, then you might be disappointed.

The fried chicken has great seasoning and it isn't at all greasy. The waffle, by itself, is nothing special. However, the waffle with the chicken and a bit of maple syrup is awesome. The gravy that comes with it is delicious. Dip some chicken in that if you prefer. Either way, you will not be disappointed by the chicken and waffle. It also comes with eggs and c'mon, who doesn't like eggs? Extra protein never hurt anyone.

Finally, the carrot cake pancakes. Omg, if you like carrot cake, then you will absolutely love these pancakes. It's hard to pick a favorite out of the dishes we got, but if I had to, these pancakes would be it. There are flecks of carrot and raisins scattered in the pancakes. They are light and fluffy the way a good cupcake is, but there's still a good density once it soaks up syrup. Just thinking about it makes me want to go back and get more right now!

I will definitely be back because there were a few other dishes I wanted to try. Next time, hopefully it'll be a big group so I can try everything else. ;)

• Visited November 2012
1 Thank Liz C
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Anniversary Lunch”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 30, 2012

Since we have a small kid and our anniversary was weekday we decided to celebrate with a lunch date. Founding Farmers is a great restaurant supports local farmers, which is a fantastic mission. The food was great, prices for lunch time were like dinner pricing. I don’t think there is a separate menu. The service was below average for the price they charge. I will go again since the food was very good.

• Visited November 2012