“Hidden treasure”

Ranked #765 of 3,283 Restaurants in Washington DC
Good for: Families with children
Neighborhood: Upper Northwest
Reviewed October 15, 2012

Unique little place in Georgetown that serves Caribbean food cafeteria style. It has a wide variety of very tasty choices. You order on a line and are notified when to pick it up. It has its own parking lot across the street.

There are newer reviews for Surfside

Reviewed September 6, 2012

A step above chipotle which is just down the street. Food was fine, but it is very loud unless you eat outside.

Reviewed August 17, 2012

We came in about 9 PM on a Wednesday & it was packed. Not realizing there was a ball game on upstairs on the patio/bar, we queued up and filled out our order forms to dine in.

I chose blackened tilapia tacos with chips & queso, while my husband ordered chicken tacos with mole and a side of chicken tortilla soup. The girl that began taking the order was pushed aside by an older man who, in his haste to push us through didn't wait for us to order drinks or give us a buzzer so we'd know when our food was ready. By the time I got his attention regarding the buzzer several other orders had been taken. He looked confused and thrust the little gizmo into my hands. It went off three times, never related to our actual order.

Our food appeared and another, third staff member asked if this was finally our. Taking our 4 plates (very awkward, more plate than food, they could consolidate to make it easier to carry) we went upstairs. There was a table free but no chairs. My husband asked on of the sports-watching patrons if the empty chair near them was free and literally everyone with a spare chair near them pulled it closer, defensively.

Not willing to eat standing up in a noisy bar, we returned to the main floor and asked for our food to go. I got a look from the first clerk I'd ordered from that conveyed her annoyance, but having just paid $35+ for some tacos I wanted to eat them someplace relatively comfortable. With a little eye rolling we got our food and went to our hotel.

I'd give this place 1 star based on service and ambience, but they get 2 because the tacos were good. The blackened fish had a nice spice. The yellow rice was fine. The tortilla chips were decent. The salsa was delicious. Their soup was good for one bite, but proved too oily for my husband to finish. The queso was flavorless and pretty much like paper mâché paste in texture.

Honestly, I wouldn't go again, but if you do stick to the tacos and either go on a quiet night or just get the food to go from the start.

Reviewed August 5, 2012

We have been eating at Surfside since they opened a couple of years ago, and it's still one of our go-to restaurants when we're craving good Mexican or have friends in town.

I love the ordering process; you fill out a form with PRECISELY what you want and had it to the cashier. Sure, it's a little impersonal and people new to the system can be confused, but it certainly cuts down on the amount of explaining you have to do. You can order off their pre-selected menu or create exactly the burrito, taco, salad, or quesadilla you want. I adore (and always order) their vegetarian quesadillas which have mushrooms, a lot of vegetables, and excellent flavor. We've also tried a variety of their tacos and salads, and my husband is particularly fond of the fish tacos. All their food is fresh and very well-prepared. Surprisingly, though made by hand, their guacamole isn't exceptional and is expensive. We tend not to order it.

On balance, the food is a little expensive, but it is quite tasty and out-of-towners love eating on the roofdeck. It's a fun, good place to eat.

And when you're done, head just a few doors down to Max's for ice cream!

Reviewed May 25, 2012

Much better than the Chipothle, which is also on Wisconsin Avenue.