“Although a bit pricy, it's a great place to stay”

The St. Regis Washington, D.C.
Ranked #23 of 141 Hotels in Washington DC
Nevada
“Although a bit pricy, it's a great place to stay”
Reviewed January 2, 2011

The location is wonderful and allows you to walk to the mall. The rooms are large and well appointed. The beds are very comfortable. Ask for a room that does not face the back of the hotel.......you will view the air conditioning units and another building. The rooms are on this side are also dark. Opt for a room that faces the front of the hotel or the side (away from the White House). The lobby of the hotel is beautiful and a pleasure to sit with friends and relax a bit. The service was excellent and I would love to stay here again.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
KStreetDC, Manager at The St. Regis Washington, D.C., responded to this review, January 11, 2011
Dear Luvtotraveljw

Thank you for taking the time to provide your feedback regarding your recent stay. We are delighted that you enjoyed your stay and were please with the level of service you received. Please feel free to e-mail me directly and we will ensure that we notate your view preference for future stays (Ammar.samad@stregis.com).

Director of Rooms

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (220)
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Reviewed December 30, 2010

I checked in on friday, dec24th for some r&r and got exactly what i wanted. From the moment i arrived the staff treated me like a queen. The valet, the doorman and the bellman were all exceptional. The room was awesome, probably the most comfortable bed i ever slept in. I really appreciate the personal service i was given while there for the weekend. Another major plus was checkin in, simple and very quick. Really enjoyed my stay and can't wait to return.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled solo
1 Thank parr729
KStreetDC, Manager at The St. Regis Washington, D.C., responded to this review, January 4, 2011
Dear Guest,

Thank you for spending the holidays with us. We are delighted that the service you received was exceptional. We look forward to welcoming you back very soon.

Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed December 29, 2010

I was a guest at the hotel from 12/24/10 - 12/26/10. The management staff took very good care of both myself & the person I was traveling with. Arrival 12/24 to an upgraded room which was a suite. The room was clean & very nice. Christmas night the manager (Ertug) sought us out in the lobby as we returned to the hotel to welcome us & thank us for our stay. We were taken great care of by the lobby bartender that evening & the next day we missed breakfast however the manager of the restaurant still got us the French Toast we were looking forward to the night before even though the kitchen was officially closed. I would highly recommend this hotel & commend the staff for being so gracious & personable. This truly was a 1st rate & 1st class experience! Thank you St. Regis you all made the stay so comfortable & memorable!

• Stayed December 2010, traveled with friends
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to provide your feedback on your recent stay. We are delighted that you and your guest enjoyed the holidays at The St.Regis, Washington D.C. We are fortunate to have Ertug Ersoy and the other associates that ensured your stay was comfortable.

We look forward to welcoming you back very soon.

London
Reviewed December 18, 2010

I stayed at the St. Regis for two nights for work and was very impressed. Beautiful building, rooms were excellent, every modern convenience although (even a TV behind the mirror in the bathroom). Food in the hotel was very good and it has a nice bar. Great location, very close to the White House.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled on business
KStreetDC, Manager at The St. Regis Washington, D.C., responded to this review, December 20, 2010
Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to provide your feedback on your experience at the St. Regis Washington, D.C.

We are delighted that you were able to enjoy your visit and look forward to welcoming you back very soon.

Boston, MA
Reviewed December 17, 2010

When I travel to cities such as Washington D.C. with so much history, I am often reluctant to stay at places that are 'remodeled' into a luxury hotel. The St. Regis used to be a Sheraton hotel and was known for being a moderately priced, cheaper alternative luxury hotel during the time it was simply a Sheraton. Anyone who stays at hotels often will know right off the bat that the St. Regis brand, which was created in New York by the Astor family is right up there with the most luxurious hotels in the world. Some might even say the brand sets the standard. What worried me was that sometimes when you get hotels that are re-branded into the luxury category is that a lot of the times they are just a luxury facelift on a regular hotel. Not so with the St. Regis.

I have to say that the St. Regis exceeded my expectations for a luxury hotel and is right up there with the heavy hitters in the Washington D.C. area. Right off the bat, you will notice the location of the hotel. Step out the front door, look to the left and there is your neighbor's house visible at the end of the block. It is big, it has pillars in the front and it is white. Its never a bad thing when you can see the residence of the President of the United States from your hotel. You know you are in a good location. The fact that you are on K Street, which is right in the heart of lobbyist territory is another good indicator that you will not have a hard time finding a nice restaurant or bar. It is a fairly easy walk to the National Mall/Smithsonian museums from the hotel (even in the winter) and I walked to the Verizon Center in about 5 minutes. If you are up for a nice walk a little off the beaten path (1+ miles) try walking to Ben's Chili Bowl, which is a DC Landmark. It is pretty much straight up Vermont Ave. Probably best for couples as it crosses a lot of back streets and would not be great for children.

The only real dissapointment I experienced at the St. Regis (I will get that right out of the way so I can focus on the many good parts of the stay) was the staff. I felt like the desk staff, the doormen and the staff that interact daily with the guests was lacking. It wasn't that they were outright rude ... it felt as though there was an aire of pretense and that they felt as though they were too good to give you a warm welcome. There were several times where I passed by a staff member who's job should have been greeting guests and I didn't get so much as eye contact. The actual check in process was very dissapointing as I wasn't even really greeted by name or welcomed. In most luxury hotels, I find that the 'footmen' are the ones that usually go out of their way to make a guest feel welcome. At the St. Regis, it seemed like the Senior level staff are the ones who went out of the way to be cordial and everyone else was begging for tips or passing right by you without greeting you.

Now, onto the good parts, of which there were many. First of all, let me say that the Director of Rooms, Ammar Samed is a real credit to this hotel. He really went out of his way to make me feel welcome and special during my stay. A lot of people at top of the line hotels with an established reputation such as the St. Regis aren't always the best at follow up but Ammar was right with it every step of the way.

The decor of the hotel is very classy. Not over the top ... but just enough to make you feel as though you are at a top hotel. I like the older style decor. If you are looking for modern, this is definatly not for you. The W is right down the street and is more of a choice for those who prefer modern to guilded. The St. Regis reminds me of a guilded mansion in Newport or Italy with its ornately carved wooded ceiling, gold leaf trim and antique furniture. The lobby is a bit smaller than I thought it would be but there is ample seating. There are fresh flowers everywhere and when I went, there was a small Christmas tree in the corner, which is about the only Christmas decoration on the inside of the hotel that stood out. The lobby smelled of holiday candles. Given that I was staying there on a weekend, at times the staff outnumbered the guests in the lobby 3 to 1. However, right before dinner there was a lot more activity in the lobby. One thing I was surprised about is that the fireplaces at each end of the lobby with furniture surrounding them are not working. There are logs stacked in them as decorations. I would think that it might be a nice touch to put a gas fireplace or something in there so people can sit around the fire and chat.

I kick myself for not trying the restaurant in the hotel, Adour because of the reputation and the variety on the menu. I believe they say it is one of the best restaurants in Washington D.C. What turned me off towards the restaurant was that I don't believe the decor really matched the St. Regis. On the inside, it is very modern looking with square, modernistic white leather chairs and tables. The restaurant is surrounded by steel racks of wine with bottles and it looked a little too light for my taste. I would expect something a little less modern. However, when I go back to the St. Regis I will try the restaurant because I have heard such good things and the prices really weren't that bad. I believe blueberry pancakes were only around $12 for breakfast and most dinner entrees were $35 - $50, which for DC isn't that bad.

The bar area is nice as well but small. It is very dimly lit. There is a nice vibe and during my stay, the bar was always crowded ... so much so that one night it was impossible to get a seat or a table anywhere. There were a lot of families and groups in because of the holidays vs. the normal weekends. Contrast that to the restaurant, which was almost always empty. I passed by on a Friday night at 9 p.m. and there was one couple eating there. (The concierge gave me a good recommendation for an upscale steakhouse on K Street.)

I was upgraded to a suite, which made all the difference in the world. There was a very long hallway with a coat closet connected to a smaller sitting room with a couch and chairs and entertainment center. Next door was a good sized bedroom with a king bed and a desk and a pull out flat panel TV. The room was decorated in light blue wallpaper with gold accessories. There was a bronze chandalier hanging above the bed and one in the small sitting room. At first I didn't know how to feel about this chandalier in the bedroom but by the end of my trip I liked it. The best part of the room was the lighting. You could choose between bright lighting or more of a dimly lit lighting almost reminiscent of candle lighting. I loved this.

There is supposed 'butler service' at the St. Regis to guests on certain floors. My room supposedly came with the butler service but honestly, I think this is more of a marketing ploy than anything. Like another reviewer said, nobody introduced themselves to me as a Butler and I saw nobody except for the housekeeping staff during my stay. The bed was turned down at the start of each evening, which is the case in any good hotel. There was a tray left on my bed with a shoe bag and a clothing brush. It said that you could call the butler and have your shoes picked up for shining and delivered back to you later. I really did need a shoe shine but had so many business meetings, I didn't have the ability to part with my shoes for a shine where they could be taken away. Next time I will try this.

The bathroom was great ... lots of space, which is important to me as I am not a small person. There was a water closet with a toilet and a phone, which had its own door. Next to that was a long walk-in shower with mosaic stone walls and gold fixtures. I was a bit surprised there was no bathtub ... really surprised actually. There also was a nice stone vanity with double sinks and a big mirror that featured a television set built in. I must admit, I did not use the in-mirror TV as I was not in the bathroom that long. I can see what the person who mentioned the bathroom lighting was talking about. It was by no means dark, but for a woman putting on makeup I could see how it might be difficult. For me, it was fine because I just needed to shave and fix my hair. Every now and again I will tweeze out a grey hair here and there and there would have been no way to do that given the lighting. At night, there were two soft nightlights in the bathroom, which I liked.

The bed was large and soft. There was my nemisis ... a plain white duvet ... on the bed. I hate the look of the plain white duvet, especially at luxury hotels. However, it seems this is the way all hotels are going as every luxury hotel I've stayed at has these now. You can really tell the difference between the bedding and pillows (white down) at the St. Regis vs. other hotels. There is a $500 Bose Wave radio player next to the bed, which fills the room with sound. The bathroom shampoos and soaps are also more expensive and nicer than your average hotel.

The price of the hotel (midweek was around $400 in December. weekends were $351) was reasonable given the area and what you are getting. The hotel was slightly less expensive than the Hay Adams, which has a slightly better reputation and is literally the street across from the White House. I was surprised that the weekend rate vs. the weekday rate wasn't that far off given that most DC hotels (such as the Willard, Mandarin Oriental, etc.) are half price on weekends vs. weekdays. However, you will be given the full luxury experience at the St. Regis and it is worth the extra money you will pay to stay here vs. a JW Marriott. The patrons are for the most part upscale luxury travelers or business travelers who are respectful. You don't find lots of screaming kids, loud and obnoxious people, etc.

One thing I might say is that the hotel does seem a little overstaffed. A perfect example of this was when I was checking out. I wanted to call the car ($40 per day valet parking charge) to load my luggage and then take the car back so I might check out and walk around the city a bit. I called the 'butler' who sounded to be next to the front desk clerk to send someone up to the room for the bags. Someone arrived with a cart to take my luggage down. When we got to the lobby, he notified me, 'My services end here sir. I will get someone to take your bags to the curb.' I tipped him. Then, someone else came over and wheeled the cart to the curb and unloaded the luggage into the car. Another tip. The valet captain explained to the valet that he would be taking the car back after the luggage was loaded. Tip to the valet. Maybe I am too generous but the check in and check out process called for tipping 3 or 4 separate employees to do something as simple as load the bags onto a cart and wheel it to/from the room. (Without a smile I might add.)

Overall, I will be returning to the St. Regis. While it isn't the best hotel I've ever stayed at ... it is up there in the top 10. It is clear they have their act together and it gives you that special feeling that only a top hotel will give you. Other than the slightly snooty attitude of some of the staff, there were no problems with the stay at all. Everything was smooth and the bottom line is that this hotel is pure luxury. I am glad I was able to stay at such a nice hotel and thank Ammar for all that he did to make this stay very special during a fairly difficult personal situation I had going on. I would recommend either the St. Regis or the Willard as two of my favorite hotels in D.C.

Three cheers for the St. Regis!

• Stayed December 2010, traveled on business
Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to provide your feedback on your recent stay. We are delighted that you enjoyed your stay at the St. Regis Washington, D.C. We are very appreciative of the detailed feedback that you posted. We will ultimately address some of the opportunity areas that you referenced. We are committed to ensuring that all guests have a unique and uncompromising experience at The St. Regis Washington, D.C. Once again thank for your comments and we look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Centerville, Ohio
Reviewed December 15, 2010

This hotel offers the finest of care of their clients you will find in any city. Historic beautiful rooms with all you could ask for. A staff which is always available to help but are not intrusive. Friendly , welcoming bellmen,front desk, doormen and housekeeping. The management and concierge are the most accomodating and helpful you will ever find. Everyone went above and beyond my best expectations !

The meals are a reason alone to return ! Convenient to all major sites and transportation. A taxi at your Doorman call . Metro a few steps away. You are right in the center of all you would care to see.

Go to DC . Stay at the St Regis , You will not be disappointed in the least. Your stay will match and probably exceed any stay at any other hotel.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled on business
1 Thank barney038
KStreetDC, Manager at The St. Regis Washington, D.C., responded to this review, December 19, 2010
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback on your recent stay. We are delighted you were able to enjoy our beautiful rooms and thoughtful staff. We look forward to your next visit to the St. Regis Washington, D.C.

Yours Sincerely

Cleveland, Tennessee
Reviewed December 14, 2010

St Regis was beautiful. Excellent service and friendly staff. I did not consider our room small at all (as others have noted). The bathroom was large enough too(extremely hot water and great water pressure). Satellite/cable TV was a little slow and annoying but channel selection was adequate. Items in frige are outrageously expensive so I'd advise you walk around corner to CVS to buy drinks and snacks. Valet parking is a little overpriced but you can easily park across the street in a garage for half the price. There is a metro station a very short walk up the street. There are plenty of coffee shops and restaurants nearby. St. Regis is an easy walk to most attractions. We had a very good experience and would recommend to anyone!!!

• Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to provide your feedback on your recent stay. We are delighted that you enjoyed your stay. Our Cable channel speed has been addressed and we recently added more Premium channels to our selection to improve the guest experience.

Thank you again for providing your valuable feedback we look forward to your return.

Yours Sincerely