“Very good hotel in excellent location”

The St. Regis Washington, D.C.
Ranked #22 of 140 Hotels in Washington DC
Malta
“Very good hotel in excellent location”
Reviewed January 14, 2010

It was my first visit to USA and also my first time at a St. Regis. The hotel is in an excellent location, just two blocks or so from the famous White House. and in the proximity of most of the attrations the city has to offer. We were upgraded to a suite which was a large room complete witha well-equipped bathroom. The room could have been better configured to be divided in two offering a bit more privacy. I particularly liked the soft material of the bathrobe. Not the usual thick toweling but soft silky material. The large mirror on the wall in the bathroom also included a TV very convenient whilst soaking in the tub. The hotel has one restaurant. The Adour by Alain Ducas. Whilst this is an excellent one, it would have been nice to have a less sophisticated place for lunch and dinner on premises. However, the hotel is surrounded by very good restaurants to suit all tastes and pockets. One of the family favourites is Mcormick and Schmick's a few meters away from the St. Regis. The reception staff at the hotel were not always that keen on smiling, although the doormen always offered their help be it with opening the heavy doors or calling a cab. This being the St. Regis, there is no buffet breakfast included in the room rate. Breakfast is a la carte and may add up to quite a bit at the end of the stay. Quality is excellent, and so is the service offered by waiting staff. Back in Washington DC I would go back to this hotel.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled with family
KStreetDC, Manager at The St. Regis Washington, D.C., responded to this review, January 16, 2010
Dear Guest Thank you for your recent review of the St. Regis Washington, D.C. We are delighted to hear that you enjoyed your time at our property and look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel soon. Sincerely, Hotel Management

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (215)
Virginia
Reviewed December 11, 2009

My wife I traveled from the Shenandoah Valley to DC to catch a show, "Jersey Boys" and stayed one night at the St. Regis. We found the hotel quite charming and were pleased with our room and the fare and service at the hotel's restaurant. The concierge was most helpful. I would agree with some other reviewers that the employees at the front desk could smile a bit more but other than that we had no complaints.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled as a couple
Los Angeles
Reviewed November 25, 2009

I travel frequently to the DC area on business and prefer to stay at this hotel. The location is great, the property is clean, and the staff are accommodating. The manager is especially attentive and responsive to the needs of guests and follows up with personal communications to ensure that the hotel met all needs and requirements. As a Platinum member, I receive the recognition I expect for my loyalty to the chain.

Stayed November 2009, traveled on business
1 Thank Buddy2LosAngeles
Boca Raton, Florida
Reviewed November 21, 2009

I am a Platinum SPG member, so I stay at lots and lots of Starwood Hotels (Sheraton, W, Westin, etc.) all over the world. I go to D.C. often and stay at the Westins or the Luxury Collection, but this time I wanted to try the St. Regis. As mentioned in other reviews, location is very good and the staff is helpful and friendly. Unfortunately, the view from my corner suite was of two alleys with dumpsters. But it was quite, and that was more important to me. Bed and bedding were excellent, as were the thick drapes to keep out the sun in the morning. Shower had high pressure water which was superb. Large 50" plasma TV was a big plus, but relatively few channels to choose from. Complimentary coffee in the lobby in the morning is another plus. Starbucks is across the street.

For the price, I will stick with my Luxury Collection D.C. hotel, although I will try the St. Regis again.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled on business
1 Thank PAQ
Liverpool
Reviewed November 14, 2009

Having read earlier reviews of this hotel we found ourselves a little bit apprehensive as what to expect. However after only five minutes any concerns we had were swept away by the friendly and efficient staff on the front desk.

Staying for a week on vacation, we were delighted by the attitude of the entire staff from the doormen to the chambermaids. However we feel we must give a very special mention to the concierge staff, in particular Leslie and Lida, who did everything from booking meals to even lending my wife their own personal umbrella.

This excellent hotel epitomises everything that a good hotel should be. Having travelled extensively around the world it seems a long time since we've stayed in a hotel that just hit every spot.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple
Durham, North Carolina
Reviewed November 12, 2009

Stayed a weekend in September on a Starwoods Award night, so I couldn't beat the price. I didn't feel like my room assignment got slighted because it was a freebie, which is nice. I was on the top floor on a quieter stretch of hallway. The view wasn't much to speak of, but there wouldn't be a lot of great views from anywhere. It's a U-shaped hotel, so at least half the rooms face the other wing and with the relatively low profile [8 floors], the surrounding buildings block any long-distance sightlines.

The only true stumble the hotel had was on check-in. I arrived early and the room wasn't ready, which is fine. They completed the check-in process and then just told me to check back later for room availability. No one offered to go ahead and take the bag, and they didn't offer to call my cell to let me know when a room was available, which I've found to be pretty standard at hotels of this caliber. Otherwise, the service was smooth. I came back, still before check-in time, to see about the room, and it was ready.

The rooms are plush, if a little on the small side. They're filled with huge beds and a sofa against the window, which takes up a lot of space, but is a nice touch for being able to fully stretch out or seat more than one. The entertainment center and closet/storage are all contained in a huge all-in-one sectional that takes up a whole wall. Plenty of space and a huge flat-screen. The colors are rich and sort of old-fashioned classic--not what I'd want at home, but definitely with a grand-hotel feel. The bathroom is nice--my room had no tub, but a giant shower. Water pressure was great.

The bar and restaurant are from Alain Ducasse and have a nice deco style. Friendly bar staff and a fantastic crocque monsieur on the bar menu. Didn't try the restaurant proper. They did have one nifty feature that I've never seen before-- a "champage sabering" in the lobby at 6pm [this was on a Saturday; not sure if it's daily] when a bartender de-corked a bottle of bubbly in the lobby and then passed around glasses to guests at no charge. Speaking of the lobby, it's classic "fancy hotel" in decor. It's not that large, and the elevator bank and the street open directly into it, so it feels busy, but that's OK.

Location is primo, near two Metro stops and fairly close to all the major touristy things if that's what you're here to do. The only other comment I would make is that I didn't have personal butler service, which I'm used to from some other St. Regis properties. Otherwise, it's a solid super-luxury place and I'd stay again.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled solo
Phoenix
Reviewed November 12, 2009

I travel to the DC area at least once a month and have stayed at several hotels in the City. The St. Regis is by far the best. The building itself is beautiful, the rooms are great, but the staff is the reason to stay at the St. Regis.

Whether you travel a lot or a little, it really boils down to the level of care someone takes to ensure that you have a great experience. At the St. Regis DC, you will not be disappointed, in fact, they are the standard by which you will begin to measure all hotels.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled on business