“NOT IMPRESSED”

The St. Regis Washington, D.C.
Ranked #24 of 142 Hotels in Washington DC
Reviewed October 7, 2009

I'm an SPG member and my husband and I stayed here for 4 nights in a deluxe room. Visited DC to celebrate a wedding anniversary. Thought this hotel would be special but I was wrong.

The Good - rooms were recently renovated, deluxe room was a good size, bathroom has nice tile work and is a good size, location of the hotel is excellent.

The Bad - the service!!!....with few exceptions.

Our butler and the folks who delivered room service were professional and efficient.

Front desk folks were unfriendly and indifferent.

Breakfast came with the package I had chosen and for the most part, the people who took our orders over the phone were competent and professional...except for one who was not really familiar with the menu and did not sound like he was happy to be answering room service calls. After I placed the order, I realized that I had not given him our preferred breakfast meat. So I called back and double checked if I had already given him our preference and all he said was "NO." So I asked him, "So can I give it to you now." And he said, "Ok, I guess." Not the kind of response I expected.

The Ugly - I noticed big lumpy chunks of hair all over the shower our first morning after check-in...which means the shower was not cleaned the day before. It was extremely disgusting and I placed a call to housekeeping right away and asked for the housekeeping manager. The manager showed up within minutes of the call and agreed that the shower was filthy. A housekeeper came in and cleaned it right away. The response time was adequate but we should not have had this kind of issue to begin with. In a property of this caliber, I expected the facilities to be extremely clean and knowing that housekeeping forgot to clean the shower made me think what else they forgot to clean in the bathroom and the room. I wish I had taken a picture of that shower to prove how disgusting it was.

We plan to return to DC next year, but you can bet we will be staying elsewhere. Earning SPG points is just not worth all this hassle.

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank kalbotravel
KStreetDC, Manager at The St. Regis Washington, D.C., responded to this reviewResponded October 8, 2009

Dear Guest

Thank you for your recent review of the St. Regis Washington, D.C. I reviewed your comments regarding your recent stay and your feedback on our Housekeeping Department.

We do take all comments seriously and appreciate your detailed feedback. The St. Regis Washington, D.C. prides itself on delivering personalized service to all of our Guests which did not happen on this occasion. We sincerely apologize for the inconvenience that was caused during your stay.

Again, thank you for your comments which will assist us in our ongoing efforts to improve our service.

Yours sincerely

Reviewed October 7, 2009

Took my teenagers for a short weekend visit to DC to visit my older daughter. Stayed at the St Regis using points and was very impressed with the level of service we received. The front desk manager Stepan, was exceptional and very personable..The hotel has been remodeled and the rooms, while small,are very well appointed. My children were really impressed with the television in the bathroom mirror. Very Cool. Anyway, the location is ideal with 2 metro stops around the corner. Everything is within walking distance. The only negative is that parking is $45 per day!

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled with family
1  Thank cvelasco

Dear Guest
Thank you for your recent review of the St. Regis Washington, D.C. We are delighted to hear that you enjoyed your time at our property and look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel soon.

Reviewed October 7, 2009

I am not a W chain fan and this visit to St. Regis didn't help.

I spent only one night here and left feeling, well, like something was missing.

At over $300 a night, (a special corporate rate), I felt a lot of the polish wasn't there.

Granted that DC hotels demand and get top dollar, but this old building in what is supposedly a reasonably up scale part of DC is a bit faded. Staff were polite and helpful. Lobby was ok, but a bit gloomy, (as was the rest of the hotel), and had nothing to attract one to sit and enjoy.

Room size was, for my money, small and reflected whatever the place was before it was the St. Regis.

Some nice touches in the bath with the usual W toiletries and nice towels. Beds are comfortable and well taken care of.

So, my rating would be a 7 or 8 on the 10 scale, but walking back to the hotel after dinner, the RAT that brazenly ran right across our path close to the hotel sort of spoiled the luxury image!

Bottom line is that I think these supposedly top of the line properties need to realize that if you want to charge this kind of dollars in these times, you need to make sure that all elements match the price.

I would look for a different hotel in this price range; probably a Marriott or Hyatt, to get the same kind of promise with perhaps a better delivery.

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled on business
2  Thank jjstives

Dear Guest

Thank you for your feedback and taking the time to post your comments.

I reviewed your comments regarding your stay with us at the St. Regis Washington, D.C. in October 2009. It is unfortunate that you did not enjoy the hotel lobby and it's decor and apologize for any inconvenience that was caused during your stay.

Again, thank you for your comments, which will assist us in our ongoing efforts to improve our service.

With kind regards

Reviewed September 28, 2009

My boyfriend and I recently stayed for 3 nights here. While we had read the many reviews from TripAdvisor that admonished the hotel for its lacking service we entered our stay with an open mind. Sadly, the reviews we had read beforehand proved to be correct.

The hotel is in a wonderful location: two blocks from the White House. The lobby is attractive and the hotel's bar and restaurant more modern but equally appealing (we did not dine at the restaurant). Nightly at 6pm there is a Champagne Saber ceremony which is neat to watch and guests get a free glass of champagne.
We stayed in a metropolitan suite which was beautiful. Our bathroom had a large shower, two separate sinks, and nice amenities. Our room was very large, had a very comfortable bed, large flat-screen tv with DVD player, and lounge area. The one drawback was the view which was of a very poorly maintained alley.

The service: Check-in was a nightmare. The front desk woman was incredibly rude and offered no sympathy for the room not being ready at 3pm. While waiting until 4pm in the lobby, I witnessed a dozen or so other people also experiencing frustration for having to wait. A simple smile, apology and offer of complimentary beverage could have gone a long way.
The terrible service did not end there. There is no accessible ice machine so requesting a bowl of ice from the staff is cumbersome. The service does not smile, as if your request had somehow put them out of their way. I will just note that all of our experiences with the hotel staff were less than courteous. However, one event was remarkably surprisingly. Before retiring for the evening, my boyfriend called the "butler service" for a bucket of ice. Twenty minutes later, a staff woman came to the room saying that she had just been to our room and had given us a bucket of ice. My boyfriend, still at the door, replied that she must be mistaken and that we would still like a bucket of ice (which she did not have). The woman charged into the room and turned to me (I was in a robe on the bed) and said, "I just gave you a bucket of ice". I told her she was mistaken and my boyfriend eventually got her to retrieve a bucket of ice but I thought it astonishing that a staff member at a St. Regis hotel would take it upon herself to enter a room, uninvited, to reproach a hotel guest. Amazing...

Other than our encounters with the hotel staff, our stay was pleasant. I would only recommend this hotel to people who desire optimal location, great amenities, but expect to deal little with the hotel staff.

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled as a couple
2  Thank enilk3
KStreetDC, Manager at The St. Regis Washington, D.C., responded to this reviewResponded October 15, 2009

Dear Guest

Thank you for your feedback and taking the time to post your comments.

I reviewed your comments regarding your stay with us at the St. Regis Washington, D.C. We do take all comments very seriously and appreciate the feedback. I do apologize for any inconvenience that was caused during your stay.

We would like the opportunity to welcome you back to the St. Regis Washington on your next visit to Washington, D.C.

Reviewed September 24, 2009

This is my first stay at a St. Regis. I would put it on par with the top hotels that I have stayed in. The location was perfect, close to two metros, the White House, lots of shops and restaurants, walking distance to Dupont Circle and the Mall. I found the service to be exceptional. I asked for assistance several times a day during my 3 day stay and each time was met with an extremely helpful staff person, at the front desk, from housekeeping, at the front door, in the lobby. I found the food service during meetings to also be very good, which is not always true at hotels that host meetings. My room had very nice amenities, including robes, high end wine glasses, extremely comfortable bed, high pressure shower, etc. Turn down service was very nice, with ice bucket filled, bottled water left out, etc. I would definitely stay at a St. Regis in the future.

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled on business
KStreetDC, Manager at The St. Regis Washington, D.C., responded to this reviewResponded September 26, 2009

Reviewed September 24, 2009

To start i would like to talk about the highlights of this Hotel. First, the location is incredible just two blocks from the White House. Second, beautiful hotel. The room was nice, kept very clean, had a very nice and comfortable bed. The atmoshphere of the hotel is very nice. People with workout clothes walking through the lobby while there were people waiting on a wedding reception, and nethier looked out of place. It is one block from the closest Metro Station.

For the service side i would like to highlight a couple of groups and then talk about two groups where we had significant struggles. The butler service, the bellmen and the greeter were very nice and helpful. To the bad side. We were VERY disappointed in reception. We arrived about 1 hour and 45 minutes before the formal check in and were told that our room wasn't ready. This has happened to me many times so it wasnt a big deal. I asked if she knew how long it would be and she said "NO, but you can give me your phone number" in a rather unpleasant way. To date that question is usually answered somewhere along the lines of "No. I am sorry, i cant provide that right now. I would be happy to call you as soon as it is available". We went and ate lunch and returned at the normal 3pm check in time and were told our room was again not ready (first time this has happened to me), and that they had our phone number. Again this was in a very unpleseant way. We sat in the lobby for 45 minutes longer waiting. we observed how this person handled reception, and i would say it is the WORST i have ever seen. The second service group was very minor, but worth noting. We called for room service to find out the cashier was on break or something and the told us they would call us back. we did not receive a call back, we had to call back ourselves 20 minutes later.

It is too bad that first impression really killed this hotel for me and my wife.

A nice smile and a little service goes a long way.

We will probably never stay here again.

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled as a couple

Dear Guest

Thank you for your recent review of the St. Regis Washington, D.C. I reviewed your comments regarding your recent stay and your feedback on our Front Desk and Private Dining Departments.

Yours sincerely

Reviewed September 16, 2009

I stayed at the St Regis for three nights and found the facilities fine. My room only had a shower but that was fine. The staff were courteous and dealt with any requests quickly and efficiently. The location was excellent and I spent Sunday walking around the monuments including the White House which is only a five minute walk away or two blocks. A tip is if you just want to check your emails then the buisness centre has one hour free access. I hope to come back in the future with my wife and spend a weekend exploring the surrounding area.

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled on business
KStreetDC, Manager at The St. Regis Washington, D.C., responded to this reviewResponded September 20, 2009

Dear Guest
Thank you for your recent review of our hotel including comments on the service levels of the hotel. We are very happy to know you enjoyed your stay at the St. Regis Washington, D.C. and look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel soon. Sincerely, Hotel Management