“Excellent location”

The St. Regis Washington, D.C.
Ranked #23 of 141 Hotels in Washington DC
Brighton, United Kingdom
“Excellent location”
Reviewed September 16, 2009

I stayed at the St Regis for three nights and found the facilities fine. My room only had a shower but that was fine. The staff were courteous and dealt with any requests quickly and efficiently. The location was excellent and I spent Sunday walking around the monuments including the White House which is only a five minute walk away or two blocks. A tip is if you just want to check your emails then the buisness centre has one hour free access. I hope to come back in the future with my wife and spend a weekend exploring the surrounding area.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled on business
KStreetDC, Manager at The St. Regis Washington, D.C., responded to this review, September 20, 2009
Dear Guest
Thank you for your recent review of our hotel including comments on the service levels of the hotel. We are very happy to know you enjoyed your stay at the St. Regis Washington, D.C. and look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel soon. Sincerely, Hotel Management

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (216)
Anchorage, Alaska
Reviewed September 9, 2009

This is a hard review to write. I am a Starwood Platinum member, and this was my first stay (and probably my last) at a St Regis. I just returned from a five night stay, and while I really can't fault much, I won't stay there again. The room was nice, and the bed very comfortable. I had an interior superior deluxe (I think that was the category) room overlooking, well, nothing, but it was still airy and bright; windows on two sides. No bathtub, but that didn't bother me. TV in the bathroom mirror was a nice touch. Location was unbeatable, around the corner from Metro, 1-1/2 blocks from the White House, shops and restaurants nearby. However, I felt very uncomfortable in this hotel. I spend over 70 nights a year traveling, so I spend many nights in hotels from the simplest to very nice, but never did I feel so unwelcome. Service was very uneven, and generally cold. The desk clerks could learn to smile. Some days there was a newspaper, other days no. When nightly turndown worked, it was nice to come back to the room, as there would be two nice bottles of water and fruit. One day I returned late evening after a day out and the empty bottles and fruit were still sitting in the room from the night before (though the bed was turned down); unacceptable. I gave this hotel an average rating, and while I gave the room, location, and in this case value (I did get a good rate over a holiday weekend) average or higher ratings, I would have been happier and comfortable at the nearby Westin City Center or even the Sheraton Four Points.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled solo
1 Thank cadence8
KStreetDC, Manager at The St. Regis Washington, D.C., responded to this review, September 10, 2009
Dear Guest

Thank you for your feedback and taking the time to post your comments.

I reviewed your comments regarding your stay with us at the St. Regis Washington, D.C. We do take all comments very seriously and appreciate the feedback. I do apologize for any inconvenience that was caused during your stay.

Again, thank you for your comments, which will assist us in our ongoing efforts to improve our service.

We would like the opportunity to welcome you back to the St. Regis Washington on your next visit to Washington, D.C.

los angeles
Reviewed September 9, 2009

We stayed in the hotel for three nights. We were in a Metropolitan Suite which is a larger open single room. The bathroom was very new and beautifully laid out with very separate sinks. The lobby is gorgeous (very old with character, freshly refurbished) and the location is great, very close to the White House. There are many great restaurants nearby as well. The staff were sort of four star corporate as opposed to five star. The check-in staff were awkward and the concierges were mixed. I would return if I wanted this DC location as opposed to Georgetown which offers a couple of other great hotels.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled on business
1 Thank tripindicular1
Dear Guest
Thank you for your recent review of the St. Regis Washington, D.C. We are delighted to hear that you enjoyed your time at our property and we look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel soon.
New York, NY
Reviewed August 16, 2009

Beautiful, creative luxurious decor. Fabulous service.

• Stayed September 2008, traveled as a couple
KStreetDC, Manager at The St. Regis Washington, D.C., responded to this review, August 28, 2009
Dear Guest
Thank you for your recent review of the St. Regis Washington, D.C. We are delighted to hear that you enjoyed your time at our property and look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel soon.
london
Reviewed July 22, 2009

The St. Regis is an undoubtedly grand and luxurious hotel. The lobby is extravagant and smartly furnished with antique furniture. The staff are friendly and helpful and the food is delicious! With the White House literally just down the road and the Capitol only a taxi ride away, this hotel offers a fantastic location.

• Stayed August 2008
2 Thank mushis
KStreetDC, Manager at The St. Regis Washington, D.C., responded to this review, July 23, 2009
Dear Guest
Thank you for the positive review of the St. Regis Washington, D.C. We are delighted to hear that you enjoyed your time at our property and look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel soon.
Sydney
Reviewed May 20, 2009

We spent three nights at the DC St Regis (visiting from Australia) in mid-April and were very pleased to find ourselves staying only a few hundred metres from the White House and just on the edge of the main city centre. The St Regis became part of a true Washington DC experience for us but it wasn’t all plain sailing

We arrived at the hotel at 3:00pm – the advertised check-in time – to find that our room was not ready. In this instance the delay wasn’t really a problem but I was astonished by the clerk’s lack of grace in dealing with the situation. His advice was simply: “…the hotel was full last night so your room isn’t ready; come back later…”. Needless to say, this did not live up to my expectation of a St Regis! What I expected to hear was: “Sir I do apologize that your room is slightly delayed…can I offer you complimentary afternoon tea in the lounge and I’ll call you as soon as it becomes available”.

This clerk did not turn out to be representative of the rest of the staff in the hotel who generally went out of their way to be helpful but it became clear over our stay that the St Regis does indeed have a few staff problems.

The hotel itself is in a very grand old building that exudes an ambience of old-world charm and comfort. Our room was small and somewhat over-furnished but reasonably well appointed in an antique theme. It has to be said that the bathroom was tiny and that there was no bath. There is a cool TV in the bathroom mirror but given that the bathroom is barely big enough to brush your teeth in, it’s not likely you are going to want to stand in there and watch the Today Show.

Our package included in-room breakfast which we found to be excellent in both quality and quantity. It was also delivered to our room quite quickly after we ordered.

Whilst I can see why some Tripadvisor reviewers were disappointed with the St Regis, for me it wasn’t actually bad but neither did it live up to my expectations of the St Regis brand. Overall we enjoyed our stay and would recommend it…but only if you can get it for the right price.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled with family
3 Thank qzqj7zSydney
KStreetDC, Manager at The St. Regis Washington, D.C., responded to this review, July 7, 2009
Dear Guest

Thank you for your feedback and taking the time to post your comments.

I reviewed your comments regarding your stay with us at the St. Regis Washington, D.C. We do take all comments seriously and appreciate the feedback. I do apologize for any inconvenience that was caused during your stay.

With kind regards
PASADENA, CALIFORNIA
Reviewed May 16, 2009

We loved our room at the St Regis. We had a large, comfy bed & a perfectly redone room. All staff was friendly & helpful. Great location, a couple blocks away from the white house. The bathroom was beautiful, we only wish they had a bathtub or jacuzzi.
We will stay here again on our next DC trip if we can get another good deal.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled as a couple
2 Thank TRAVELADIX
Dear Guest

Thank you for the positive review of our hotel. We are very happy to know you enjoyed your time at the St. Regis Washington, D.C. and look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel soon.