“Convenient and comfortable old Hotel”

The St. Regis Washington, D.C.
Ranked #23 of 141 Hotels in Washington DC
Reviewed August 1, 2014

I struggled to know if I should give it 4 blobs or not. The location is terrific and the building (originally the Carlton I think) is interesting. The staff are friendly and efficient and the bar and restaurant very good. We were staying here as part of a group so the rate on the room was very good and the room itself quiet and comfortable. It is an old building though, so the bathroom was not good for a couple getting ready for a formal function, it was tiny and the place feels just a little tired. Not quite up to normal St Regis standards. On balance though I think the price, location comfort balance means that it deserves the 4 rating.

Room Tip: One of the back rooms is much quieter but the view is not. The compromise is worthwhile though if yo...
  • Stayed: August 2014, traveled as a couple
KSt20006, Manager at The St. Regis Washington, D.C., responded to this reviewResponded August 4, 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your kind feedback regarding your visit. We appreciate your honesty and hope to see you back very soon.

Director, Rooms

There are newer reviews for The St. Regis Washington, D.C.

Reviewed July 30, 2014

My mother wanted to take myself and my sister on a "quick trip" this summer, and we decided on D.C. I told her I'd help with the planning- and we visited our travel agent... though she tried to sell us on The W, - I was pretty sure I'd rather the St. Regis, for many reasons- including its proximity to The White House- but also because of the well known luxury St. Regis affords. After just returning from Aruba, where I stayed at the Ritz- I was looking forward to another pampering session but sadly- did not get it.

The hotel check-in staff was uppity- and right upon entering this put a bad taste in my mouth. Listen, we all have bad days, but please- don't act holier- than -thou when you're working behind the desk of the hotel that I'm staying in.

The room wasn't great- the shower had terrible engineering, in that when you opened the door it pushed water on the the floor and the entire bathroom was like a scene from "Titanic." Now, I am completely aware that most of the appeal of the St. Regis in D.C. comes from its long history. I appreciate that- but the beds felt as though they too could have been there from the start. Honestly- I've stayed in Holiday Inns during my youth that had more luxurious beds.

I was looking forward to eating at the restaurant there one night because we had been doing a lot of walking throughout the Smithsonian that day, but the hotel had already "rented out the restaurant" that night, and I received a letter of apology that I- a guest- would not be able to dine there that evening.

I just cannot believe how disappointing this stay was for me, and it's not even about the wasted money- I was really hoping to have a (good) memorable stay there.

The door service staff was very pleasant, though so it wasn't all bad.

• Stayed: July 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank Haley L
KSt20006, Manager at The St. Regis Washington, D.C., responded to this reviewResponded July 31, 2014

Dear Guest,

I am so sorry that you had a disappointment experience with us. I will investigate all the issues you have mentioned. Please feel free to contact me to discuss this further.

Again, I am sorry for your unpleasant visit.

Director, Rooms

Reviewed July 29, 2014

We stayed here only one night as we visited DC during a trip up the east coast. It was definitely not a cheap hotel by any means but we figured we had try it and pay up. The hotel is very close to the White House which was awesome, it is also well located so plus there. There is no pool at this property so if you're thinking this is a family hotel, think again. The hotel tailors more to diplomats and politicians it seems so it's very quiet. We were with our kids so we felt out of place, to some effect. The room was very nice and clean. The bathroom had a tv in it so that was a first for us, but definitely interesting. Would recommend this hotel more for adults more so than with children.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
KSt20006, Manager at The St. Regis Washington, D.C., responded to this reviewResponded July 30, 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your wonderful review of the St. Regis. We are glad you and your family enjoyed your stay with us.

We look forward to your next visit.

Reviewed July 29, 2014 via mobile

Conveniently located between the Georgetown Circulator and the McPherson Square Metro Station, this hotel has a very friendly staff. Only minor negative is that shampoo/conditioner were only replenished once during my 3 night stay. Soaps and water were never restocked. I would probably stay here again if visiting both Georgetown and DC

Stayed: July 2014
3  Thank J W

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your kind words regarding your stay at the St. Regis. I will check into the housekeeping issue you had. Please feel free to contact me to discuss this at your convenience.

We look forward to your next visit very soon.

Reviewed July 28, 2014

My wife and I celebrated our 30th wedding anniversary here and I highly recommend this place for anyone looking for a classic luxury hotel. We were greeted very promptly by the staff. We were also surprise to find out that after dinner they sent chocolate cake with a bottle of wine to our suite congratulating us on our anniversary. Thank You St Regis

• Stayed: July 2014, traveled as a couple
KSt20006, Director of Sales at The St. Regis Washington, D.C., responded to this reviewResponded July 29, 2014

Dear Guest,

We are delighted you enjoyed your stay at the St Regis, Washington, DC. I will share your wonderful feedback with our catering and room staff.

Thank you and we look forward to your next visit.

Reviewed July 27, 2014

I really love this hotel. It´s near to the White House 10 minutes walking. It´s expensive but it ´s a St Regis and above all room are very nice. We travelled with a baby and they helped us to purify the bottles. Washington is a great city and the St Regis is a very good option to stay.

But what i loved is another thing. My wife lost her iphone. We came back and the hotel security told us they didn´t find the phone. So we left Washington without the phone and later i received a message to my linkedin from the hotel security to know if i travelled with my family in this hotel. Of course i did. And I asked about my phone. They asked me some question about the phone, the stay etc and they told me that they send the phone where i am. Absolutely incredible,

I love this hotel, love the service. I have to back next week in washington and will stay definitively in this hotel. Thank you for your help

• Stayed: July 2014, traveled with family
KSt20006, Director of Sales at The St. Regis Washington, D.C., responded to this reviewResponded July 28, 2014

Dear Guest,

I am so happy that you had a pleasant stay at the hotel. Thank you for the wonderful feedback and I was glad we were able to get you your cellphone returned. We look forward to your future stays with us.

Reviewed July 23, 2014

I would like to say that I am reviewing this hotel extremely late, but because of the experience that I received at the Atlanta location, I decided to give a review of my DC experience. I traveled to DC to experience the St. Regis and found it to be quite interesting. The decor was classy, the bar was nice, the check in was really easy.
I felt that the room that I had was over rated for the price, but I really enjoyed the bathroom. I enjoyed getting ready and watching TV in the restroom, sitting at the bar and just relaxing in the nice shower. The sleeping quarters in my opinion were nice, but I had experienced better.
I know that you pay for the high prices for service, but I needed ice and had to wait for it to be delivered and it did take quite some time. For the price, waiting on ice should have not been an option. (yes I am frugal, but I will treat myself sometimes.)
The location was great and my tour guide even provided some interesting facts regarding the hotel and its history.
Overall, the stay was like a piece of art, and part of the tour of DC. I felt important being dropped off of the tour bus to this historical place as the on lookers whimpered in admiration.
Maybe I will return again!

Room Tip: Try to search several sites for discounts. My stay was over a year ago, but it is still relevant sin...
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank Anjanetta

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your feedback regarding your stay. I apologize for the issue you had waiting for ice and will look into that. I am glad you enjoyed the rest of your stay and look forward to your next visit.