“Service was GREAT - Room was good - Breakfast was acceptable - Rain killed the TV”

The St. Regis Washington, D.C.
Ranked #23 of 141 Hotels in Washington DC
Brooklyn, New York
Reviewed July 16, 2014

I stayed here last week, like a previous reviewer, I used American Express Fine Hotels & Resorts to book the room. Like a previous reviewer, I tried adding my SPG Gold number in advance. Apparently, that wasn't possible as Starwood said they couldn't add it. I had called the hotel directly & left a message asking for it to be added with their reservations team, but that didn't happen. So, consequently, upon arrival, they didn't know I was a gold. Luckily, I had my number in the SPG app, so I was able to receive gold benefits (complimentary internet).

Part of the FHR benefits are breakfast for 2 and $100 F/B credit. I specifically mentioned, at check-in, that my parents would be joining me for breakfast the next day and that I'd be using the credit for that. Sure, no problem, I was told. At check-out, the bill for breakfast for the 3 of us was $122. Only $60 was covered with the breakfast for 2 benefit, and I was told that the $100 F/B credit didn't apply to breakfast - but too other items (had I known this and been informed at check-in, I would have planned accordingly - but this was not made clear). So, I had to pay the additional $62 out of pocket - something that should have been explained correctly when I checked in.

NOW....WITH THAT SAID....I originally wrote this review & then deleted it and am adding this part to it:

I filled out the email survey I received from Starwood. In it, I mentioned by disappointment about the FHR breakfast factor. They actively credit my credit card back for the $62 difference - without me asking for it. I was fine paying it as that was what I expected and I did not make a scene or argue about it at the front desk at checkout at all. But I did chalk it up to experience & accepted that I was paying the extra $62 out of pocket. The fact that they read my survey AND took corrective action on their own without me asking for it, made me change my rating from a 3 to a 5 as this is the service I would want & expect out of St Regis and this type of action creates loyalty.

Now back to my review....

The pros:
-Service, generally a polite & positive interaction with all employees
-Internet worked well throughout the stay
-bathroom amenities were good
-THE PROACTIVE ACTIONS THAT MANAGEMENT TOOK WITHOUT PROMPTING TO CREDIT BACK THE BREAKFAST CHARGES

The cons:
-Shower head wasn't what I'd expect in a luxury hotel - decent pressure, but not a good wide stream
-Towels...I would have expected more plush towels, these towels were rough & reminded me of old Holiday Inn towels rather than those of a luxury hotel.
-The FHR F/B credit and how I wasn't able to utilize it as anticipated - NO LONGER A CON AFTER CHECKOUT....
-The rain killed the TV service...it wasn't a hurricane, it wasn't a crazy lightening or thunderstorm - just regular old rain, not even a hard rain. And that caused the TV to go out. When contacting the front desk, the confirmed with engineering that the rain caused the TV to go out.

From a rate perspective, this hotel cost more than a comparable product would have costed - however the Amex FHR benefits brought in line & the additional after-checkout service was welcomed and makes me more likely to stay at the hotel when in DC in the future.

Room Tip: I only got free wifi due to my elite status - otherwise it's paid.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled on business
1 Thank bhatnasx
KSt20006, Manager at The St. Regis Washington, D.C., responded to this review, July 17, 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for the detailed review. I am sorry to read about the issues that should have been better including the reservation process and the overall experience. I have shared all of the feedback with our team and please know that your constructive feedback regarding certain aspects of our product and service is being investigated and all outstanding issues will be resolved in due course. We look forward to welcoming you back very soon.

Director of Rooms

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (216)
Manhattan Beach, California, USA
Reviewed July 14, 2014

I stayed here last week based on the prices I saw on line. It was a very good reasonable price for the St Regis chain which i like.

I was OK with the room, I was first given an accessible room (which was spacious) and then led to my very small room. Nicely decorated, but tiny. Lobby was pretty and the bar looked great. Lots of folks coming and going. Service was not up to the standard in which i remember from other St.Regis hotels. Perfunctory, not warm

All in all, my advice is to see the room first and then book it. I was told that Expedia travelers get lessor rooms. I don't love that.

Might go back, but would shop around.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled on business
1 Thank Peterisacksen
KSt20006, Manager at The St. Regis Washington, D.C., responded to this review, July 15, 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. I would be intrested in obtaining additional feedback from you. I would greatly appreciate speaking to you at your earliest convenience. Regarding third party reservations such as Expedia, we honor the room category our guests confirm during the reservation process. Thank you again for your feedback, I look forward to speaking with you.

Reviewed July 9, 2014

We stayed here for my wife's birthday and our stay was Excellent. I am particular about how I am treated at hotels. The front desk staff, Butler service and restaurant and bar crew,Special thanks to our fantastic bartender Reda who was extreemly friendly and exceeded our expectations for service all pleasant and professional .The hotel was elegant and the rooms were very clean and comfortable.we will definitely be returning

2 Thank sara s
KSt20006, Manager at The St. Regis Washington, D.C., responded to this review, July 14, 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to post your wonderful review. We are delighted that our staff exceeded all of your expectations. Thank you again, we look forward to welcoming you back.

Detroit, Michigan
Reviewed July 7, 2014

My stay wasn't 'bad' mind you but the level of expectations for a 5 star St. Regis hotel is going to be a bit higher especially when you consider the competition in the area.

The let down immediately started at check in. I had booked an Amex Fine Hotels and Resorts stay and had contacted St. Regis months prior to add my SPG gold number in and request Decanter reservations. I got a reply from Deigo Figueroa saying that my SPG number had been added and that Marta Hulban had been contacted regarding my reservation request. Unfortunately upon checkin my SPG number had not been added.

Given this lapse I should have checked about my restaurant reservation but I did not think of it at the time. Unfortunately it seems Marta had not made my reservation either despite being CC'd on Deigo's email reply as I was told that no reservations had been made when my wife and I showed up at the restaurant.

These are not serious lapses but I find it extremely disconcerting that a brand like St. Regis would have multiple people drop the ball regarding something as standard as loyalty program memberships and restaurant reservations.

The room was also a letdown. Immediately on entering there was a very strong musty\moldy smell. Across numerous hotel stays in numerous countries over the last couple of years this was going to be only the second time I requested a different room. Unfortunately given that this was over the 4th they were fully booked (understandable). On the positive side running the fan and AC served to resolve the problem after 10 minutes. Still, every time we got back to our room there was that musty\moldy smell.

The bathroom was very nice and the shower had excellent water pressure even with the separate hand nozzle on. Nothing overly special about the quality of the towels but the toilet paper is the same small, thin cheap stuff you'd expect to find at a motel that seems to be permeating even the luxury hotels now.

I do very much appreciate that the TV service included a TV guide so I can actually see what is being shown on the channels.

The Bose radio and iPhone dock is a nice touch but the room suffered from a complete lack of outlets. They didn't even bother with one of the bedside table outlet docks that the competition has. If a Hampton Inn (Or the Mandarin or the Willard) can have a bedside table outlet dock I shouldn't have to unplug room lamps or radios to plug in my electronics at a St. Regis.

Breakfast was also disappointing as the buffet was just a standard, tired offering. Perhaps we ordered the wrong thing but having just come from The Willard we both remarked at the poor array of quality options despite the same cost.

Location wise this hotel is close to the White House. If you are wanting to go to the Mall the Willard or the Mandarin will be closer but the restaurant and shop proximity seemed to be better at the St. Regis so location preference likely depends on your plans.

Overall this was an acceptable stay but because of the issues and the price its unlikely I would return given the (In my opinion) better options in the area

1 Thank Matt B
KSt20006, Manager at The St. Regis Washington, D.C., responded to this review, July 9, 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to post your review. I am sorry that the experience was not better. I will certainly address the concerns that were raised. I would like to speak to you at your earliest convenience. I hope that we may restore your confidence in a future visit.

Boulder, Colorado
Reviewed July 5, 2014

This has to be the worst hotel in the entire St. Regis chain, and the St. Regis name must be the only thing duping folks into staying here and writing anything positive (the exterior facade of the historic building and the lobby are nice, but that is it). The second you get off the elevator heading towards the rooms you know you're in trouble. The halls are dingy and reek like a combination of a musty old Holiday Inn and a nursing home. They say it is a non-smoking hotel, but the pervasive smoke sell throughout also indicates it wasn't always non-smoking. The actual rooms (we stayed in a Premier King) are even more depressing. The rooms are adorned in very dated brown, orange and gold decor, which looks like it hasn't been updated in 30+ years (it reminded us of what a gaudy old hotel from the old Las Vegas strip in the 1960s must have looked like, which I cannot imagine is what they're going for). The ventilation was horrible (the sheets were sticky and damp from poor AC), and the room had a strong mold odor. We even got quite a chuckle to see plastic cups wrapped in plastic wrap (like you'd expect to find in a Motel 6) on the bathroom counter. St. Regis management: Please do your guests a favor and close this property until the room floors can be properly renovated in their entirety. It is currently an appalling embarrassment. We had just recently stayed at the Jefferson Hotel and found it to be lovely and first class in every respect, including the same location in town.

4 Thank Marc N
KSt20006, Manager at The St. Regis Washington, D.C., responded to this review, July 7, 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review. Please know that your feedback regarding certain elements of our product and service is absolutely being investigated and any issues will be resolved in due course. Thank you for bringing this information to my attention. I hope that I have the opportunity to welcome you back to our property in the future.

Regards,
Corpus Christi, Texas
Reviewed July 3, 2014

There were a lot of restaurants and tourist attractions within walking distance. We opted to stay here because we had an early White House tour and didn't want to deal with traffic or getting lost. We made it, leisurely walking, from the hotel to the tour entrance/security in about 10, maybe, 15 minutes.

If you are looking for a luxury property, close the White House that is somewhat affordable by D.C. standards (if you catch a special package or can use a special rate), then this is the place for you. All the staff was very nice. The bartenders in the lobby bar quickly learned our favorites as well as our names as did the front desk staff. The room was clean and very plush albeit a bit small. However, this was definitely not the smallest room we have stayed in and we were probably (and justifiably) given the smallest room in the place because we booked using a special (and very inexpensive) rate I lucked into. The bathroom was on the larger side for your standard room and made up for the tinier room in general.

Overall, I would stay again without hesitation. I caught a great rate but I would splurge on a future stay even if I couldn't find a special.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank TheTravelAddicts
KSt20006, Manager at The St. Regis Washington, D.C., responded to this review, July 4, 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your wonderful review of your experience at the St. Regis Washington D.C.! I am thrilled to read that you enjoyed our "excellent" location, two blocks north of the White House, and the service that you received from our members of our team. We are proud to have the best staff of any hotel in the nation's capital. Please know that I appreciate your constructive feedback regarding certain aspects of our product and any outstanding issues will be resolved in due course. I look forward to your return to your home away from home, the St. Regis Washington D.C.!

Coral Gables, Florida
Reviewed June 30, 2014

I have stayed at this hotel two years in a row now during my travels, It is elegant has great service and it is small dog friendly too. It is within walking distance of the White House and local restaurants. Clean elegant rooms. The restaurant is excellent and the bar makes great classic drinks such as their famous Bloody Mary.

Room Tip: Ask for a high floor with a view some rooms face office buildings and dont offer a decent view. The...
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank Betty M
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your lovely review of your experience at the St. Regis Washington D.C.! I am thrilled to read that you enjoyed your "elegant" guestroom and our "excellent" restaurant and bar. I look forward to your return to your home away from home, the St. Regis Washington D.C.!