“Virtually flawless performance”

The St. Regis Washington, D.C.
Ranked #23 of 142 Hotels in Washington DC
Reviewed December 6, 2013

It's rare when you get a hotel stay where everthing just does right and the St Regis in DC pulled it off. They couldn't have done anything better. Room service was early. The wake up call right on time. They handed everything well

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled on business
KSt20006, Manager at The St. Regis Washington, D.C., responded to this reviewResponded December 11, 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you for the wonderful review we are most honored by the wonderful accolades you bestowed upon us. We look forward to your return visit.

Director of Rooms

There are newer reviews for The St. Regis Washington, D.C.

Reviewed December 5, 2013 via mobile

I booked the St. Regis for a quick overnight trip to be close to the restaurant we were dining at for my husband birthday. I thought we would be in a luxurious hotel but I was very disappointed with this particular St. Regis. The room was large but the view was crummy. The heat in half of the suite was broken. 3 different times in a 24 hour period the housekeeping staff walked in on us. We never heard any knocks. The bed spread and throw pillows were dirty! Really gross...The bar was really cozy and nice, but closed at midnight on Saturday night. I found this really odd and very disappointing. The staff was nice but I absolutely would not stay again. I will stick with the Mandarin which is always fabulous.

• Stayed: December 2013
1  Thank Kelup

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review of our property. I am sorry to read of your mixed experience at our hotel. Your feedback regarding our guestrooms and amenities is being investigated and any issues will certainly be rectified in due course. I humbly ask that you return to our property for a second stay, so that you may be able to enjoy a superior experience. Please contact me at 202-638-2626 as I would like to discuss your stay in detail.

Regards,

Reviewed December 4, 2013

Every time I go to DC, this is where I stay. The central location and reasonable prices make it perfect. The rooms are always clean and comfortable. The staff....well...they are incredible. They always have a smile and are quick with a recommendation, a joke, and a compliment. Anytime I hear someone is headed to DC, I recommend that they stay at the St. Regis. My husband and I always get the Junior Suite because it has the extra sitting room. Because I am an early riser and he likes to sleep in, it allows me to move around, make my coffee and get myself going without disturbing him.

Room Tip: Upgrade to the Junior Suite if you can. The extra space is worth it.
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
KSt20006, Manager at The St. Regis Washington, D.C., responded to this reviewResponded December 9, 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your fantastic review of your experience at the “clean and comfortable” St. Regis Washington D.C.! I am thrilled to read that you enjoyed the service you received from members of our “incredible” staff. We are proud to have the best staff of any hotel in the nation’s capital. I look forward to your return to your home away from home, the St. Regis Washington D.C.

Reviewed December 4, 2013

My wife and I stayed here for a wedding in the Fall. Overall, we had an excellent stay. The service was prompt and unobtrusive. The room was delightful and quiet, and the location was perfect for our needs. I highly recommend to anyone willing to spend a few hundred bucks. It's worth it.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your wonderful review of your experience at the “excellent” St. Regis Washington D.C.! I am thrilled to read that you enjoyed the “prompt and unobtrusive” service you received from members of our staff. We are proud to have the best staff of any hotel in the nation’s capital. I am also glad that you enjoyed your “delightful and quiet” guestroom. I look forward to your return to your home away from home, the St. Regis Washington D.C.

Reviewed December 4, 2013

We had the pleasure of staying at the St. Regis, Washington DC over Thanksgiving to visit with family who lives in Arlington and Baltimore. I, painfully, travel 200 days a year on business, after spending so many miles stuck in center seats or behind people who recline their seats in your face, a quiet refuge like the SR is a welcomed reward. The hotel is reminiscent of other grand hotels like the Fairmont in San Francisco, the Langham/old Ritz in Pasadena or the Waldorf in NYC. The staff was outstanding; we had breakfasts there each of our four days but given our social calendar with family we didn't get to have dinner (which looked good, however).

We used Uber to zip around the city when the metro wasn't appropriate, but in most cases the hotel is so centrally located that we simply walked to the places we wanted to go (Portrait Museum, Spy Museum, Hunger Games movie theater).

Room wise, we decided on an interior suite rather than the outward facing rooms which while very nice, were a bit smaller. The downside of interior rooms is that you just see the back side of the hotel, but frankly the street view isn't that much better unless you've always wanted to look out at the AFL-CIO building. You are, however, 2 blocks from the White House, so you can go see the home of presidents and the often over the top, harmless folks who are pushing some niche agenda.

One of the things that worried me going in was the size (and pictures of the exercise room. As a P90x accolyte/sufferer I wanted to stay on track, especially since I was eating 40,000 calories at Thanksgiving. Anyway, you can use the perfectly functional basement room or walk 30 feet across the street to Mint, which the the more elaborate spot inside the Hilton -- and it is free for St. Regis guests.

So, we plan to go back. Good location. Great staff.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Rich D

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your fantastic review of your experience at the “grand” St. Regis Washington D.C.! I am thrilled to read that you enjoyed the service you received from members of our “outstanding” staff. We are proud to have the best staff of any hotel in the nation’s capital. I am also that you enjoyed the complimentary access to the extensive facilities at the Mint Spa and Athletic Club located across the street from our property. I look forward to your return to the best address in the nation’s capital, the St. Regis Washington D.C.

Reviewed December 4, 2013

My children and I recently spent six nights at the St. Regis. In advance of our stay, I was contacted by Alex Gruhin, the hotel's Cultural Attache, whose advice on various subjects was nothing short of excellent; I would especially call out his suggestion that we (lovers of 30's and 40's standards) go to the Quill Bar--we loved the pianist and atmosphere of quiet elegance there, and went there twice. Another highlight of our trip was Hillwood (Post cereal heiress' mansion), a terrific suggestion from the concierge (and about which I wouldn't have known were it not for her advice).

As to our experience at the St. Regis, I have nothing but positive memories and plaudits--the service was universally exemplary, the lobby beautiful and beautifully appointed, our room inviting, the bathroom (and shower pressure) excellent; and of course the location, less than two blocks from the White House, is unsurpassed.

So, all in all, an exceptional visit which will undoubtedly inspire further ones.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled with family

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your fantastic review of your experience at the St. Regis Washington D.C.! I am thrilled to read that you enjoyed the “universally exemplary” service you received from members of our staff, including the concierge team and Alex Gruhin, the St. Regis Washington D.C.’s esteemed Cultural Attaché. We are proud to have the best staff of any hotel in the nation’s capital. I am also glad that you enjoyed our “beautiful” lobby with its ornate, original ceiling copied from a Tuscan Villa in 1926, and your “inviting” guestroom. I look forward to your return to your home away from home, the St. Regis Washington D.C.

Reviewed December 3, 2013

The St. Regis is a historical masterpiece and for anyone who has the opportunity to stay here I would strongly recommend the historic tour conducted by Alex - the hotel cultural attache (and jack of all trades!), an odd title - but one he starts going it all falls into place. Clearly passionate about the SPG brand and this hotel in particular Alex took us through so many interesting facts. It is a beautiful hotel and the rooms (we were upgraded to a suite) are large spacious with great bathrooms. The do lack in room coffee machines and ironing boards - but all available on request.
We had a few issues while we were at the hotel but the Alex was able to take care of everything. Now there are many hotel where the staff are helpful, but this particular individual went above and beyond and was so thorough and detailed that it truly left an impression. We will be back to this beautiful, historical hotel.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your fabulous review of your experience at the “historical masterpiece” that is St. Regis Washington D.C.! I am thrilled to read that you enjoyed the “above and beyond” service you received from our “jack of all trades,” Alex Gruhin, the esteemed Cultural Attaché of our property. I am also glad that you enjoyed Alex’s extraordinary history and heritage tour of our hotel, “The Pursuit of a Legacy,” which is open to the public and offered on Thursdays and Fridays at 5:00 PM (depending on Mr. Gruhin’s schedule). I look forward to your return to your home away from home, the St. Regis Washington D.C.