“Beautiful hotel but still short of the St Regis name”

The St. Regis Washington, D.C.
Ranked #24 of 141 Hotels in Washington DC
NYC
“Beautiful hotel but still short of the St Regis name”
Reviewed April 13, 2013

We stayed at St Regis Washington for a night to attend a wedding.

Check-in: Coming in from New York we arrived to the hotel at about 11AM and after checking in they front desk agent informed us our room was not ready but we had been upgraded due to my SPG status. I explained to the front desk agent that while the upgrade was appreciated we would prefer to have earlier access to any room earlier than an upgrade. The associate understood and took down by phone number for when the room was ready. I expected to not be able to check-in at 11 and we had a few activities planned for the afternoon. We came back at 2:45 and there was still no room ready and we were expected to be at the wedding a 4:30. Given we were only 15 mins before the stated check-in time and after explaining the situation to a different front desk we associate we grabbed a drink at the bar. After so back and forth of me checking in with the front desk we finally got into the room at 4.

Room: The room itself was ornate and the bed very comfortable. The A/C was off when I entered the room and I immediate switched it on to the coldest temperature. While in the process of getting ready I wanted to plug in my iPhone to charge and saw there was a dock ontop of a Bose and when I plugged it in no dice. I fiddled for a minute and then traced the wire down the back and found a frayed power cord. Not the end of the world. Then I wanted to turn on the TV in the bathroom when getting ready...it wouldn't turn on. When leaving the room we noticed the A/C wasn't cooling the room and stopped by at the front desk to inform them of the technology / cooling issues and they promised to have them fixed. When we returned the A/C was fixed and pumping out much cooler air but the iPod dock still had a frayed power-cord and the TV in the bathroom still didn't work.

Service: The service at the bar was great and the waitress as a delight. We didn't find the bell staff helpful because there were never enough of them. The three times we could have used their help they were preoccupied. We ordered room-service and while the menu was limited the food was delivered promptly and was tasty. Although, upon delivery the gentlemen didn't have a bill for us to sign saying he was the only one of duty for the night and didn't have a chance to print it. A bit odd but the charges were correctly posted to the room upon checkout.

We didn't have a chance to use the gym or restaurants. The location of the hotel was great and only a few blocks from the White House.

Overall for a hotel that bears the St Regis brand it missed in the service and housekeeping department. I would try the hotel again as its location and rooms (minus the tech issues) were superb.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank tiev
KSt20006, Manager at The St. Regis Washington, D.C., responded to this review, April 16, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your detailed and thoughtful review of the St. Regis Washington DC. I am thrilled to read that you enjoyed your “ornate” room and “very comfortable” bed and that the service at our newly renovated St. Regis Bar was “great” and the waitress “a delight.” The issues you raised have been investigated and rectified. I appreciate your feedback and look forward to your return to our property.

Director of Rooms

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (222)
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed April 12, 2013 via mobile

Located at the centre of Washington activity lies a jewel of a Hotel. This place has it figured out:
First class in every aspect of hospitality....the food, the wine, the attention to every human want or need.
The St. Regis deserves it's first class reputation.

Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
KSt20006, Manager at The St. Regis Washington, D.C., responded to this review, April 15, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your wonderful review of the St. Regis Washington DC, a true “jewel of a hotel.” I am thrilled to read that you found our property “first class in every aspect of hospitality.” We strive to create a bespoke experience for each of our guests. I look forward to your return to the best address in our nation’s capital!

Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed April 12, 2013

I have stayed here last week with my girl friend for our anniversary and it was an amazing experience. What a lovely staff and they are looking forward to greet you with their warm smile and not looking miserable like other places. I definetly recommend this place to everyone!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
KSt20006, Manager at The St. Regis Washington, D.C., responded to this review, April 17, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your wonderful review of the St. Regis Washington DC! I am thrilled to read that you had an “amazing experience” at our property and that members of our “lovely staff” would always greet you with a “warm smile.” We are proud to have the best team of any hotel in Washington, DC. I look forward to your return to the best address in our nation’s capital!

Evanston, Illinois
Reviewed April 11, 2013

I brought my 91 year old father and 7 year old son to Washington over the first weekend in April 2013. My father is unsteady on his feet and walks with a cane. The ENTIRE staff of the St. Regis made all of us feel so welcome, and truly treated my WWII vet father like a VIP. We had a mishap with my son leaving his souvenir bag from the Air Space Museum in a cab, and not only did cab driver bring it back to the hotel, the staff brought it straight to our room. The room was beautiful, and now my son is quite spoiled and will never want to stay anyplace less than 4 stars.

This was a stressful trip for me keeping two opposite ages safe and happy, and the main reason I could keep it together was the St. Regis.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank WonderSchwermin
KSt20006, Manager at The St. Regis Washington, D.C., responded to this review, April 12, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you so much for taking the time to write your wonderful review of the St. Regis Washington DC. I am delighted to read that the “ENTIRE staff” of our property made you feel so welcome and treated like a “VIP.” We are proud to have the best team of any hotel in our nation’s capital and I appreciate your positive feedback. I look forward to your return to your home away from home, the St. Regis Washington DC, in the near future.

Winter Springs, Florida
Reviewed April 10, 2013

We travelled to DC to celebrate my husband's US citizenship and chose the St. Regis primarily because of our familiarity with the Starwood brand. We were pleasantly surprised at the level of service and comfort for this quite affordable hotel. The lobby was luxurious and quaint...the rooms were a bit smaller than average, but touches such as the chandelier, the gold bathroom fixtures, and the crystal ice bucket were appreciated. The location is nice, but not perfect..well, that depends on what you are looking for. We were in DC to sightsee and visit the monuments. While all are within walking distance, the Lincoln, Jefferson, Vietnam, WWII, MLK, and Korean monuments were a bit far to walk if you are tired. Having said that, the White House is 2 blocks up the road and can be seen from the front of the hotel. The Capital building is a bit further, and the Washington monument is easily reached by foot. The bathroom amenities were very nice. Having said all this, I will concentrate on why we chose the St. Regis. We appreciate service. Their butler service motto of "as you wish" certainly lived up to it's name. Every detail we asked, was immediately and personally attended to. The concierge staff was exceptional at giving advice and booking dining for us. A few small details we noticed on the "negative" side was that the housekeeping staff in the hallways never smiled or greeted us, the doormen were wonderful at times, and not so much at others, and as we are SPG preferred guests, we had late checkout on our departure date. On this date, we had 3 interruptions in the early afternoon by staff wanting to check the minibar, see what time we were checking out, etc....all when we had notified the front desk that we were opting for our late checkout at 4pm (which is a benefit appreciated by SPG preferred guests). I would definitely recommend the St. Regis Washington D.C. and would return in an instant. Overall, a wonderful stay.

Room Tip: As this hotel is in a historic building, it is "small" compared to many others in the Star...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
KSt20006, Manager at The St. Regis Washington, D.C., responded to this review, April 11, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your extensive positive feedback regarding your “wonderful stay” at our property. I appreciate the time you took to illustrate your experience. I am thrilled to read that you enjoyed our “luxurious and quaint lobby” and the decor in our guestrooms like the beautiful chandeliers, “gold bathroom fixtures” and “crystal ice bucket.” Thank you, also, for highlighting your positive experience with our “exceptional” concierge staff and butler service. The issues that you raised regarding our housekeeping staff and SPG late checkout are being investigated and will be rectified in due course. Thank you for bringing them to my attention. I look forward to meeting you on your next trip to the St. Regis Washington DC.

Santa Monica, California
Reviewed April 10, 2013 via mobile

The concierge and room service staff are some of the best we've met. Wonderful attentive service. The building itself accounts for the downsides. No hotel is luxury in our view if there is no bath in the rooms. The rooms are overlooked by the office block opposite. The bar is so small you need to reserve a seat, we were turned away from an almost empty bar because all the seats were reserved! The restaurant was the poorest we ate in all week, although service at breakfast was lightning fast.

• Stayed April 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for choosing the St. Regis Washington DC! I am glad to read that you enjoyed our concierge and private dining staff and consider them among “the best [you’ve] met.” We are proud to have the best staff of any hotel in Washington DC and I am glad that they were able to elevate your experience at our property. I also appreciate the concerns you raised regarding our bar and restaurant. The issues are being investigated and will be rectified in due course. I look forward to meeting you on your next stay at the best address in Washington DC.

Isle of Man, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 10, 2013

very well placed - only two blocks from the White House, and handy for Metro and lots of local restaurants.

Room was well-equipped and a good size but not generously large. Comfortable bed and complementary water and wifi.

Good bar where some food is available - though the menu is not always out which causes some confusion.

Breakfast is waiter service with lots of choice.

The Adour restaurant is top-end in quality and price, and worth the experience.

Overall the decor is a bit confused, but it is comfortable.

Staff were all attentive and keen to help.

Room Tip: Better to get a street view
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for your excellent review of the St. Regis Washington DC. I am thrilled that you enjoyed our location, “only two blocks from the White House,” your “comfortable bed” and “well-equipped” room. I also appreciate your positive feedback regarding our newly renovated “St. Regis Bar” and wonderful restaurant “Adour” by Alain Ducasse. I look forward to your return to our property.